Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• 2 weeks later...

My Western "Western Glory" creaks on the 24" radius bends on my test layout. Does anyone have any ideas if this is curable or should I return it?  Its a shame as its such a fine model but it puts me of using it

• RMweb Premium

When ordering a Dapol 1015 from Cheltenham Model Centre I asked that they tested it before posting it to me as I knew I would not have the opportunity to run it for a while. It arrived with a note in it from CMC saying they had tested it and it was all OK.

I've now given it a run and yes, it is OK. Very happy with CMC.

With extra hours at my part-time job I managed to afford a DCC sound chip from Legomanbiffo which I fitted myself. Should have been an easy job, but I had a problem which was probably all my fault. Many thanks to Biff and Charlie for sorting out the problem for me, great service and a great sound.

It now looks good, runs well and sounds stunning. Biff's sound is very, very good. Pleased that buying the special edition has helped the 12" to the foot Western too. Delighted.

• Like 2

I believe its a standard 1 year warranty - you have to pay for the £15 service at DCC supplies to 'qualify' for the second year.

If it is a manufacturing fault you have 6 years, but the onus is on you to prove it was due to faulty manufacture after the first 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a question about the weathered Dapol Westerns.

Is the Kernow exclusive model, Western Ruler, the same weathering as the more widely available Western Centurion?

If not, which is the better weathering job in people's opinion, or are they just different?

Thanks,

Pete

Slight delay Pete in response but I've only just had my D1026 arrive. I have a few of the Kernow weathered Westerns which were done as I recall by Mercig studios. The Kernow weathering appears superior, although D1026 has got "wiper trail" marks on the windscreen, I will try and get some comparative shots when I'm in Bristol next which will be end of next week. The D1026 weathering does not look too bad, but lacks paint flakes/fading and oily marks reminiscent of the prototype. Another bonus is that it has the lifting eyes pre fitted which are a PITA to do especially with my eyesight.

D1026 appears to lack Talisman clips (the weathering obscures whether they are yellow or not). I promptly though removed the plates and numbers from my model as I am working on a Heljan D1026 in Laira 1974 repaint livery. Plus of course D1026 did not have headboard clips.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

So bang goes my idea of renumbering to D1038 then Geoff. They look like Talisman clips on closer inspection, I have D1072 too (now D1032) but models are 121 miles apart so can't compare them tonight.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• 1 month later...

In fairness Kernow have put me onto DCC Supplies to get a superior PCB fitted, hope to have the loco back within the week. Shame about this, my Dapol 22 is one of the finest models in my fleet and the Western looks superb. Even if the smoke is a bit too realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Western was returned from DCC Supplies with a new PCB within a week and I've given her a HOWES sound decoder.  Runs superbly, sounds fantastic and captures the Western profile beautifuly IMHO.  Still think the Heljan model is very good, but put the two alongside each other and the Dapol model nails it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been running the Dapol ones alongside Heljan ones for some time now.  The Dapol ones win on looks and detail hands down.  The Heljan ones (especially when retrofitted with Howes wheels) pull a greater load but unless you want to run summer Saturday holiday trains of 14 - 16 Mk1s that won't matter.  Dapol lifts and hauls 10 easily, 12 if driven carefully.  Many layouts don't need even this much.

Heljan locos all sound the same and are business like but require a hefty current to move off and (for DC users) a higher notch on the controller to maintain speed than most other locos.  In fairness they are also heavier and have that extra gravity to overcome.  Dapol locos seem to sound different according to batch and not quite as purposeful.  If you have sound fitted none of that would be relevant.  

Once I had identified the cause of and rectified a few very minor issues with my Dapol fleet I have been more than happy with them and they now run about three times the mileage of the Heljan ones.  The only down-side to that is that they may eventually wear out sooner.

If I were to buy more 52s now they would be Dapol.  

Hi Guys & Gals

Western Fusilier just arrived at my sheds after a protracted trip around the country at the hands of Yodel :(

I have a Liam Western which I love but this one was clearly a whole new ball game.

First impressions are very good, it's certainly a beast :) couple of light scratches on the body and some kind of bloom from the packing and part of the black rubber packing had stuck to the cab roof.

What has baffled me is the huge range of bits to fit including names and numbers.

No instructions on where and how to fit the nice etched plates so hope some of you might be able to guide me.

I want couplings both ends! one end seems to have some pipes fitted (as an example I guess) but there are no rods fitted on the outside of the bogie frame and I see I have to fit steps etc.

Due to space limitations this loco needs to go around 2nd radi curves so my next question is what can i fit and it will still be possible.

Thanks for any help and guidance you can give, never knew these fine locos for real so need all the help I can get.

(maybe I have put this in the wrong place, sorry)

Edited by mikesndbs

• 2 weeks later...

I have just acquired D1058, being aware of the issue raised in this thread, I gave it a quick test run before my wife confiscated it until my birthday. It appears to have a couple of faults that I haven't seen earlier in this thread:

- The loco appears to be wired in opposite polarity to all my other stock. 

- There appears to be some slack in the drive train. When placed on the track you can push the loco in either direction about a quarter of a wheel rotation.

Does anybody elses models have the above problem? I would be tempted to send to DCC supplies but have read a number of people not having the model fixed to their satisfaction. I can also probably fix both problems myself,

• RMweb Gold

Rob

The earlier release Dapol Westerns had a different (and inferior) PCB. I've got D1005 (subsequently renumbered) of that batch, it's not been run for a while but didn't have any problems. Maybe worth checking with DCC supplies what version of PCB D1058 has.

Not heard of the drive train issues before - none of mine do that.

Neil

I have just acquired D1058, being aware of the issue raised in this thread, I gave it a quick test run before my wife confiscated it until my birthday. It appears to have a couple of faults that I haven't seen earlier in this thread:

- The loco appears to be wired in opposite polarity to all my other stock. 

- There appears to be some slack in the drive train. When placed on the track you can push the loco in either direction about a quarter of a wheel rotation.

Does anybody elses models have the above problem? I would be tempted to send to DCC supplies but have read a number of people not having the model fixed to their satisfaction. I can also probably fix both problems myself,

Hi

My new Western has the same slack in the drive chain! was a bit confusing at first lol but it does not seem to affect performance in any way.

Surprised yours is cross wired unless of course all your other stock is cross wired  :stinker:

I would be tempted to open it and swap the wires over to the pcb, not sure what would be involved but here is a pic of the inside to help.

Mine seems to run fine with the slack gears as can be seen here.

Good luck.

post-1423-0-83108400-1422786125_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

It looks like Dapol have discounted the price of at least 3 '00' gauge Westerns to retailers. I've seen the following for sale in the last week, at between £85 - £89.

D1072  Western Glory  BR Blue full yellow panel

D1023  Western Fusilier  BR Maroon small yellow panel

D1002  Western Explorer BR Green small yellow panel

I bought Western Fusilier from Bure Valley Railway Models at £85 plus p&p. I bought the last they had in stock last Wednesday, but more have come in. Thought I'd let other RMwebbers know

Rob

The earlier release Dapol Westerns had a different (and inferior) PCB. I've got D1005 (subsequently renumbered) of that batch, it's not been run for a while but didn't have any problems. Maybe worth checking with DCC supplies what version of PCB D1058 has.

Not heard of the drive train issues before - none of mine do that.

I have an early release D1029, rewheeled for S4 and with new plates to make it D1062. Just got it out again, and found that the wheels can all rotate a quarter-turn. I think that is partly allowed by the slack/pitch of the worm where it meshes with the pitch of the worm wheel, combined with a relatively relaxed mesh of all the gears in the spur train.

Since you've mentioned the change in PCB, can the later (and current) version PCB be fitted to the early releases?

I have an early release D1029, rewheeled for S4 and with new plates to make it D1062. Just got it out again, and found that the wheels can all rotate a quarter-turn. I think that is partly allowed by the slack/pitch of the worm where it meshes with the pitch of the worm wheel, combined with a relatively relaxed mesh of all the gears in the spur train.

Since you've mentioned the change in PCB, can the later (and current) version PCB be fitted to the early releases?

Yes, I had discussions with DC Supplies concerning upgrading my previous 2 early Westerns to ensure mine didn't get motor or lighting problems later on and purchased the revised PCB from them, which was a swap fit for the earlier version. One of my Westerns then failed, motor and lights and I fitted the new PCB which solved the issue. The other is still in its plastic bag as the other original PCB is still ok. I believe there are two different types of replacement PCBs for the Class 22 model, depending on whether you have an early or later release.

Yes, I had discussions with DC Supplies concerning upgrading my previous 2 early Westerns to ensure mine didn't get motor or lighting problems later on and purchased the revised PCB from them, which was a swap fit for the earlier version. One of my Westerns then failed, motor and lights and I fitted the new PCB which solved the issue. The other is still in its plastic bag as the other original PCB is still ok. I believe there are two different types of replacement PCBs for the Class 22 model, depending on whether you have an early or later release.

This is concerning re the 22 as well  :O

Yes, I had discussions with DC Supplies concerning upgrading my previous 2 early Westerns to ensure mine didn't get motor or lighting problems later on and purchased the revised PCB from them, which was a swap fit for the earlier version. One of my Westerns then failed, motor and lights and I fitted the new PCB which solved the issue. The other is still in its plastic bag as the other original PCB is still ok. .....

In that case, I'll ask DCCS if they can supply a new-type PCB, just in case.

In that case, I'll ask DCCS if they can supply a new-type PCB, just in case.

I've checked the website, which is Dapol Spares on G--- search and the PCBs are in stock. They are listed as Product Code 106619 - Blanking Plate PCB for Class 52 and late model variants of Class 22. I assume the Class 22 models that can accept this PCB are the disc headcode versions. The other blanking plate PCB for the early Class 22 (I assume the headcode blind version) is also available, code 105352. Both are priced at £9.60. Worth remembering that if you have a failure on the original Blanking plate PCB, Dapol via DCC Supplies will replace it free of charge as they accept there were manufacturing faults in the original version fitted at production of the first Class 52 versions.