Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

Hi guys, Chinese new year certainly galvanises the mind, as a revised cad/cam was sent this morning.

However I haven't seem it as in on the sofa at home with a chest infection.

If I'm well enough to go in tomorrow I'll post some more pics, but looking already (at a picture they sent) they still haven't gotten their heads round the alternate valance.

We shall see

Cheers

Dave

Get well soon!

Regards

Mark Humphrys

Hi guys, Chinese new year certainly galvanises the mind, as a revised cad/cam was sent this morning.

However I haven't seem it as in on the sofa at home with a chest infection.

If I'm well enough to go in tomorrow I'll post some more pics, but looking already (at a picture they sent) they still haven't gotten their heads round the alternate valance.

We shall see

Cheers

Dave

I apologize because I know this is OT, but I've noticed in this thread the mention a couple times that "they aren't getting it." If my assumption of "they" are Chinese CAD developers and production engineers, I have to ask: why not bring back the development and production work to the UK? Certainly UK developers would "get it" and it would seem more efficient to work with people who did than with people who had to have things explained to them several times before they still got it wrong.

Here in the States, there has been a bit of a trend to bring back manufacturing work that had been sent overseas simply because the cost savings of Chinese manufacture simply are no longer what they use to be and the headaches are much less. I imagine QC improves, too.

Just a thought.

Matt

Edited by oreamnos
  • Like 1

Why can't we have a cheaper version without lights for those of us who like to run trains in daylight?

I doubt the price would go down that much, and what about those of us who like the lights, they look fantastic at night.

As for them being too bright, depending on what you chip them with, the lights should be dim-able. The Lenz silvers I have in my locos allow me to adjust the brightness by changing a CV value. You can't see the light in the daytime, but there is a wonderful glow at night. Great for photography...

• Like 1

I really, really don't need a Western diesel. I've got boxes full of locos and stock in the loft awaiting the day I can build the layout that will probably never happen. For me, the railways died along with steam on my 19th birthday in 1968, so I'm no diesel fan.

That said I've got a few green "first generation" diesels stashed away, and also a maroon Heljan Western. So I don't need another one, but.......I've found myself eagerly viewing this thread for more updates from DapolDave and detail revelations from the knowledgeable.

This will surely be the best RTR diesel ever released and so, in recognition of DapolDaves' sterling efforts to get it right, and even though I will probably never get to run it, I've thought "sod it, you only live once - I'll buy one!".

More power to your elbow Dave - hope you get better soon.

p.s. please produce the maroon syp with a shorter name than "legionaire" to make it easier to substitute other names!

Edited by talyllyn1

Why do models have to have working headcode lights? In normal daytime running conditions, even if the lights were on they didn't show up. I have just disconnected the lights from my fleet of Peaks and hey look much better. The Hymeks and Brush 4s were done last year. If the Western comes out with bright headcode lights I will probably disconnect those as well.

Why can't we have a cheaper version without lights for those of us who like to run trains in daylight?

Geoff Endacott

Those that know me will be more than aware that this is one of my pet moans. There never really was much light from a headcode blind or, for that matter, the marker lights that replaced them. Early headlights weren't a great deal better and even today you don't see much from the front of a class 90 or HST during the hours of darkness (and, yeah, I know the lights are there for the benefit of those not on the footplate!) Ironically, probably the first locos in the UK to have anything like any kind of decent illumination were the Pyle headlight-equipped class 59/0s which, it is said, got their looks from the 'Thousands'. As can be seen in the attached picture even they didn't look anything like a model with LED lights.

Sorry to go off-topic, the Western looks very promising, I wish the project well.

post-3299-0-08027000-1327016566_thumb.jpg

Edited by lonesome_whistle

Oh, now that is getting reassuringly close. Despite my modelling choices, these remain my favourite diesel (in fact favourite loco) class, and the way this is heading, I shall be looking at major expenditure when they reach fruition. Fantastic, Dave.

EDIT: the curved ledge beneath the windscreens did have me wondering though, and this (admittedly) upwards shot makes me wonder still more - http://www.flickr.co...axe/2224317524/ - the edge on D1023 here looks practically straight. Maybe a discernible slight curve here, on scabby 1041, again upwards-facing - http://www.flickr.co...N08/2327071738/. Even looking down, as at D1034 here, doesn't entirely bear out the curving on the CGI - http://www.flickr.co...N08/2843555764/; this suggests a curve on a close up of 1023 again, but there may be some optical distortion importing that feeling - http://www.flickr.co...jig/2390141199/.

Can the curve be modelled practically at a scale of 4mm to the foot? How deep is that ledge going to be? 1mm in OO and 0.5 in N?

And heaven knows how narrow the gap between the top of the window frames and the start of the front 'hood' would be on a model.

Hi chaps,

back in the office today and have reviewed the cad/cam.

Now the valance and clearance of of the bogie are still an issue, so i might ask for the bogie to have separate brake shoes for the customer to fit (i.e. fit ones at the factory that are cut across (or half shoes if you like) so that out of the box they negotiate all curves). The more curve concious customer can then fit the alternate brake shoes for a more realistic appearance.

thoughts?

As for the valance, this WILL be factory fixed in place with a coupling slot through it, but replacement valances will be in the box (these will not have a coupling slot in it)

Oh, and the cad/cam? pease ignore the exhaust covers now put in place, as these need to be removed.

Comments as usual please ladies and gents, but i feel we are close.

Can any one supply me with or point me in the direction of a great picture of the original battery box catches please?

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-35179400-1327318336_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-65166600-1327318388_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-13842500-1327318405_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-31897900-1327318421_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-88264700-1327318442_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-08823200-1327318460_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-18619200-1327318473_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-95659300-1327318499_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looks impressive to me, but I'm not a Wizzo hardcore fan, I do like them though.

As for the valence and coupler, it sounds like you are taking a similar approach to the Paddy Murphy 201 Irish locos. If you need any close up pics on how they were done, let me know and I'll send them on. I'm sure its pretty straightforward though!

• RMweb Gold

Showed the Cad/cams to a collegue who volunteers on the WSR as a diesel fitted/driver and he couldn't find anything wrong, although he mentioned that the access in the centre of the side valance might need to have a cover on it if your were to model an early version. He also confirmed the comments about the latches, sorry not photos of the original ones.

I think your plan with the brakes sounds very sensible Dave, you have to ensure that out of the box it will handle rad2 curves otherwise you'll have a lot of unhappy retailers

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those images seem to capture the subtleties perfectly. Second from last renders the all-important "face" exactly as compared with images in my files. I'd be happy with alternate brake shoes in the box. Now let's get some test shots! If this is to be the "definitive Western" it is because it has been defined by us every step of the way thanks to the Dave's extremely responsive and interactive approach.

Now the valance and clearance of of the bogie are still an issue, so i might ask for the bogie to have separate brake shoes for the customer to fit (i.e. fit ones at the factory that are cut across (or half shoes if you like) so that out of the box they negotiate all curves). The more curve concious customer can then fit the alternate brake shoes for a more realistic appearance.

thoughts?

Sounds an excellent idea to me. Farish do the same with the front bogies on their N gauge steam locos and the result seems to be popular with everyone as the perfect compromise.

As for the valance, this WILL be factory fixed in place with a coupling slot through it, but replacement valances will be in the box (these will not have a coupling slot in it)

Again, sounds excellent. Based on the above I assume that the valance will be part of the body and not swinging with the bogie.

Showed the Cad/cams to a collegue who volunteers on the WSR as a diesel fitted/driver and he couldn't find anything wrong, although he mentioned that the access in the centre of the side valance might need to have a cover on it if your were to model an early version.

I've never seen any pictures of them with covers on there, even ex-works or in service in the early period 1962 to '63.

Edited by BernardTPM

Hi chaps,

Can any one supply me with or point me in the direction of a great picture of the original battery box catches please?

cheers

Dave

You need to delete the vertical access panel below the RH bodyside grille group on the upper side view shown (i.e. the one that has the extra access recess in the RH end of the centre valance).

Might be tricky/need a dollop of luck to find a really clear shot of the early clips; basically they were a lot smaller.

As I say, I am just recounting what he said, thought it worth mentioning even if it did not turn out to be correct, just in case ;)

I realise that; I've slightly rephrased the comment so it's clear that 'period' is just that, the early period. I know that Peaks had extra covers on the roof that disappeared pretty early on.

When this model makes it to N gauge my wife is not going to be happy with me... I will parrot those who say these new CADs look right. In fact, absolutely fantastic. All I ask is that everyone involved in the design and manufacture be sure they are on the same page and that these are made to 1:76 and 1:148. :no:

Matt

Hi chaps,

thoughts?

Oh, and the cad/cam? pease ignore the exhaust covers now put in place, as these need to be removed.

Hi Dave.

PM sent with some scanned images of the battery box clips and also a photo illustrating the absence of the body side panel on the side with the rectangular cutout at the right hand end of the valence.

Looking very good, even better if the valences are now going to be properly fixed to the body.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

cheers

Dave