Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely fascinating to follow the progress of this model. The real things were majestic, powerful, and noisy (I lived near Didicot station). I was forutunate as a youngster to go round Swindon works and see the Westerns being built and saw D1000 when it was near completion.

This type of collaboration from Dave should serve as a benchmark for other manufacturers to follow. Congratulations and thank you I look forward to seeing the development to fruition of this beauty. Needless to say they will be employed on my China Clay trains as well as passenger trains.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff Dave. So lets keep a Vigilant eye open to see what Superb offerings Dave will Triumph with in the Powerful new catalogue! ;)

Phil

Dave looks as though he is about to present us with Western Glory which will make a Majestic sight alongside Royal Oak ;)

Thankyou ;)

160 notes is a bit beyond me mind you...pity!

Osbornes are doing it in N gauge for a more modest £112

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/nd-osb3-osborns-exclusive-Dapol-western-enterprise-d1000-desert-sand-livery-12625-p.asp

As for Champion, I am a bit suprised that no one has snapped up that opportunity yet but I am sure it is only a matter of time.

Hi everyone,

I've been onto The Swindon Steam Museum today to order my Dapol LE Class 52 D1000 Western Enterprise.

Apparently, it comes with a LE pin badge depicting the 'ferret & dartboard' casting that was on the secondman's cabside.

If anyone else on the forum is interested, I've got a few stats, numbers & details to quote:

Swindon Steam Museum

Telephone: 01793 466626

e-mail: gdavies@swindon.gov.uk

As of today, there are approximately 250 out of the 400 LE's left to be sold & they are £159.99 each.

If you choose to e-mail Geoff, all you need to do is quote your name, address, contact telephone number & state clearly that you want one of the Dapol D1000 LE models.

BTW, I have no affiliation or financial interest with this museum organisation.

Hope this is of use.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks for the reminder, Ian! There's at least one more booked out to a fellow - RMWeb member now! I think the Museum deserves the 'donation' of the extra few pounds for this exclusive edition.

It may be of interest to others that STEAM don't take card details at the time of ordering - when the models become available, they will phone to get your payment method, and to confirm whether it is for posting out or collection at the museum. They used to take card details at the time of ordering, but I think the long-delayed arrival of a Castle from Hornby led to a change of policy!

Yes, Karhedron, the N gauge one from Devon is cheaper - one of the few times when an N scale model is significantly cheaper than its big sibling! Interesting pricing this - I've not seen a figure for the N gauge one quoted by Dapol yet, and hope that Osborn's don't take a hit from this!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Good to see 'Steam' getting a bit of a boost (my D1000 has been on order since the day their flyer landed on my doormat well before Christmas) because their efforts in this area are, I think, very worthy of support. Yes you will pay more but the 'surplus' goes into their funds for the museum and you will find their level of customer service on the 'specials' is exemplary with good advice regarding production/delivery delays - I almost felt that Geoff Davies was becoming 'family & friends' with all his calls about the delays and date changes for the 'Castle'.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see 'Steam' getting a bit of a boost (my D1000 has been on order since the day their flyer landed on my doormat well before Christmas) because their efforts in this area are, I think, very worthy of support. Yes you will pay more but the 'surplus' goes into their funds for the museum and you will find their level of customer service on the 'specials' is exemplary with good advice regarding production/delivery delays - I almost felt that Geoff Davies was becoming 'family & friends' with all his calls about the delays and date changes for the 'Castle'.

Just spoken to Geoff at Steam to order D1000.What a really nice man, a real pleasure to do business with him.

Godfrey

• Like 1

Yes, Karhedron, the N gauge one from Devon is cheaper - one of the few times when an N scale model is significantly cheaper than its big sibling! Interesting pricing this - I've not seen a figure for the N gauge one quoted by Dapol yet, and hope that Osborn's don't take a hit from this!

Nor I, although a certain Scouse establishment has them for £83 on pre-order.

• RMweb Premium

It certainly has been a fascinating journey, thanks go to Dapol and Dave for encouraging / putting up with all of the suggestions.

Thanks to everyone at Dapol.... so what is the next collaborative loco from Dapol?

• RMweb Gold

.... so what is the next collaborative loco from Dapol?

Neal, if you start another wishlist you'll be sent to the naughty step.

Frankly, with all the debate about Hornby around Christmas and now Bachmann I'm totally wishlisted and frothed out for a few months :wacko: .

• Like 1

Dont forget we are announcing some new items at Ally Pally, so maybe the wishlist might come true (partly) ;-)

cheers

Dave

Time to mobilize our zonal Waverley snouts then!

Step forward TheCromptonParkinson and ChrisM.

• RMweb Premium

Neal, if you start another wishlist you'll be sent to the naughty step.

Frankly, with all the debate about Hornby around Christmas and now Bachmann I'm totally wishlisted and frothed out for a few months :wacko: .

Will definitely not be starting another wish-list - gonna do some modelling instead!

Mind you..... with Bachmann announcing on Monday (I think), Dapol at Ally Pally and then the catalogue...... what will we have to talk about until next Christmas for Hornby - No your'e right - go model, get the carriage finished! (Comet GWR H43 Centenary coach)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I have gone ahead and ordered Western Legionaire to keep Western Enterprise company. The effort that has gone into this looks truly remarkable.

Time to put my money where my mouth is. :)

So've I, but I'm hoping and assuming that it won't be D1029 when it arrives. That one did not have headboard clips and I want to rename mine into one that did. I also want the later opening rather than fixed small bodyside grill. I suppose it depends on how many tooling variants Dapol wants to produce in the first production batch. No doubt DapolDave will tell us in due course.

Query.

i have seen that Dapol have mentioned D1005 western venturer in blue to be modelled.

She was i understand another hybrid in having lossed headboard clips from one end is this to be modelled.

I have also noticed that D1045 western viscount is to be released as a weathered commisioned loco,and another detail of having a set of differant style windscreen wipers as having one at the top and the right one at the bottom from inside cab view.Little detail yes but highly noticed.

Heljan made a mistake in adding headboard clips to all there hymeks in which the 1st 30 or so nether carried them so thought although may have been mentioned elsewhere about these highlights on a newer built model of the western.

richard.

Query.

i have seen that Dapol have mentioned D1005 western venturer in blue to be modelled.

She was i understand another hybrid in having lossed headboard clips from one end is this to be modelled.

I have also noticed that D1045 western viscount is to be released as a weathered commisioned loco,and another detail of having a set of differant style windscreen wipers as having one at the top and the right one at the bottom from inside cab view.Little detail yes but highly noticed.

Heljan made a mistake in adding headboard clips to all there hymeks in which the 1st 30 or so nether carried them so thought although may have been mentioned elsewhere about these highlights on a newer built model of the western.

richard.

Hello Richard,

l have to agree with you, the model is all bang on and then someone makes the mistake of not researching

the last details, which really is the easy bit, ( check out the books by Adrian Curtis ! )and then decides to model

one that had obvious mods and differences, it is ok for the modelers that want to cut up, add on and respray

their 52s, that's great, no argument here ! as they are masterpieces when done well.

It would make sense to model locos that didn't lose headboard clips, or the ones that were built without them

at the end of production there are plenty to choose from.... 1000/1/2/3/4/6/7/8/9/10/11 .....................

and the list goes on. Why not have a classic that we all remember like a weathered blue D1022 for example,

or an ex works blue D1021, just 2 examples that had no clips missing, no extra vents anywhere or any strange

wipers.

Just a question, who decides on the locos to be modeled ?

Maybe a poll is an idea for all the members who have contributed to the topic and any other

interested parties, just a thought.

cheers.

Just a question, who decides on the locos to be modeled ?

Maybe a poll is an idea for all the members who have contributed to the topic and any other

interested parties, just a thought.

Normally Dapol decide based on photographs. However as has been shown on the class 22 thread, they are usually willing to listen to input on the subject. IIRC the running numbers were changed quite late in the day when extra information was provided about the liveries and details of certain class members.

I suggest putting the information together into a an email or PM for DapolDave. Explain what the issues are with the proposed loco. If possible, suggest another member of the class which would be a better choice and provide photos if possible.

Dave is very good at combing this thread for information but considering how large it is now, putting all the pertinent point together in a single message that he can easily refer to will probably make his life easier.

• Like 1