Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

I'd have charged you a tenner if I'd fitted all the rings. :P

Is that an offer? Sounds like a bargain to me! At that rate we'll soon see a return to British production.

Andy, Dave; Thanks for your reply to my question and the additional points.

RP

I have a maroon one on order from Hattons, but if it's delayed by 6 - 8 weeks, I could probably afford a blue one first.  Which blue model is in transit so I don't order the wrong one and have 2 strange heavy packages arrive together to explain?

Andy

As has already been said by so many, not my era and never really been particularly drawn to them but.......................just placed an order!

Thank you to everybody that's contributed to such a superb model.

Now........Legomanbiffo, where's that Western sound chip?

Roll on the class 73

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

I've tried over the years to limit my purchases to models that would fit my chosen modelling era and theme, even turning my back on and resisting some of the superb D&E models that have appeared over the last two or three years.

I broke that rule with the Blue Pullman... resistance was futile.

Now it looks as if I'll give in again with this superb looking model.

I have an excuse lined up as I lived close to the London end of the GWML during the early and mid 1970's, when Westerns were a common sight. "For old times sake" will do nicely !

What a welcome antidote to the "design rubbish" idea that's coming from certain other quarters.

Keep 'em coming Dave.

• Like 8

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that I have asked for spare air pipes, brake rigging( which is quite loose) lift rings etc to be sent from China immediately so that they are ready for the product launch.

I've also asked that after this initial batch spare lift rings will be in each accessory bag within The Western packaging.

Cheers

Dave

Are the lift rings a secure press fit, or do they need to be glued in place?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, and copied over from another forum:

David Rodgers is trying to 'get a handle' on interest levels in wheelset conversion packs for the new Western. If you wish for a pack to become available in your gauge then click on the link below and follow David's instructions 
http://www.ultrascale.com/node/37 

Jon

• Like 1

Looks a lovely model...

Takes me back to my youth watching one most days through Worcester on 1M22: Penzance to Manchester, used to roar out of Tunnel Junction at Worcester.

We all used to stop playing footy and run to the fence..

I've just ordered one and a special edition...

Suppose a nice set of coaches next...

Is there a full catalogue list anywhere, I have found four standard releases and the weathered versions plus a special edition previously mentioned ??

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 1

What, like the 2-BIL?  :no:

I say let's enjoy this superb looking model on its own merits without knocking others!

Fair enough although every encouragement should be offered to manufacturers who chose to adopt an alternative approach.

RP

• Like 3

The more I look at Andy's photos of that lovely looking green machine on page one, the more I find myself being drawn to the earlier liveries as a whole. I'm glad I've made the decision now to sell on my BR blue era stuff and go with the 'classic mid 60s maroon and green Hydraulics' period on the WR, before corporate blue got it's foot in the door.... just about everything else is available now that we have the Hymeks, D63xxs and D95xxs.... no disrespect to the venerable and much loved Bachmann Warship, but if Dapol were to take the hints some of us have dropped on that score, the only other big item missing for this sort of scenario is a bonafide WR eight car Blue Pullman.... ;) .

(Perhaps this is a debate for another thread entirely, but I honestly think that even with all the variations across the D8xxs, if tooling slide technology is used to it's maximum potential, as is being done with the D63xx, then most of the differences between the Swindon and North British built types can be covered using one basic bodyshell with the addition of seperate roof panel mouldings dropped in, and these aside, the only other real visual difference is in the position of the marker lights below the front lamp irons. Obviously, the D800 - D812 batch were different when new with their early style front end treatment , covered over fuel fillers and their bodyside grilles having a single vertical bar against the D813 - D870 batch's two bars per grille.... but then again, if tooling slides allow it I think it would be something worth looking into.... ;) )

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 7

Fantastic model and can't wait to get my WLA Ltd Ed 1062 Western Courier with all the bits factory fitted. :scratchhead:

At last a wizzo with valances that accommodate tension lock couplings.

BUT.. what are the gaps between valence and bodywork beneath the marker lights - hopefully caused by the reviewer not reassembling properly rather than a build issue. :no:

I am really impressed by the Kernow weathered blue versions too. :nono:  Must not buy any more. :nono:

Looks absoultely Fantastic. Just seen these pictures, Wonderful pieceof model engineering

Can I put in a plug for D1015 Western Champion in current form (complete with optional high intensity light in the headcode panel!)

FANTASTIC. Model of the Year 2013???

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can I put in a plug for D1015 Western Champion in current form (complete with optional high intensity light in the headcode panel!)

I mentioned this to Dapol Dave at Stafford and he said the cab interior isn't glued in and there's plenty of room to "modernise" Champion with a LED behind the headcode panel.

At least he's left something that we can "model" :yes:

So it's on my Xmas list for 2013...........

Cheers,

Mick