Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

The buffer shanks look a bit too long would have preferred fixed heads to give that stubby strong look.

BUT.

At last an RTR Western with a valance that accommodates a tension  lock coupling.

The model gets 10/10 in my book.

The sort of thing that leaves me confused ...... buffer shanks look a bit too long - but it does accomodate tension lock couplers ..................................

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Unless there's a third or fourth run, I wouldn't get excited Mick, they'll all be long gone by then! :O

Mike.

There'll be none left as you'll be getting 75 of them at least.....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

(Perhaps this is a debate for another thread entirely, but I honestly think that even with all the variations across the D8xxs, if tooling slide technology is used to it's maximum potential

Wouldn't it be nice Nig? I'd be interested to hear just how far the slide-technology could be pushed and how much of an impact that it'd have on the final product's price. When I was doing the 2mm resin Warships I started to think about what would have to made as slide and it really started to mount up. Off the top of my head, you'd need to cover slot ins for the five centre panels on the roof (two types of fan grille, two types of boiler port, three types of exhaust port), two slides for the lamps, two slides for the headcode boxes, two underframe mouldings, a blanking slide for the shoulder grille, two slides for the side grilles and so on. Then there's also the varients in the door kick plates, the bodyside seam line and even the bogies but I don't think it's realistic to expect these on a mass produced model and besides, wheres the fun if it's all done for you eh?

Pix

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, and copied over from another forum:

David Rodgers is trying to 'get a handle' on interest levels in wheelset conversion packs for the new Western. If you wish for a pack to become available in your gauge then click on the link below and follow David's instructions 

http://www.ultrascale.com/node/37 

Jon

I've just 'voted' for a P4 conversion pack. Thanks for pointing this out, Jon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roy, dependent on the vagaries of shipping arrival, customs clearance, transport to Dapol, adding the nameplate etch to the boxes and sending on to STEAM for fulfillment should mean you'll see the model in roughly 2/3 weeks.

I believe that STEAM have a few left available but it's a small number and I can see that getting cleared out very quickly once people see these in the flesh.

I have,even at this late hour,managed to reserve one.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that,Robin. Appears to be just out of the works at Swindon,probably around Dec.1961/Jan 1962. Saw her Jan.'62,Temple Meads coupled  ahead of a 'Warship' Plymouth-bound for testing .Cab full of 'bowler hats' looking seriously important. Thought it had descended from Mars.....never seen anything like it before....or since. A real trip back in time 'pour moi'

• Like 2

Thank you for that,Robin. Appears to be just out of the works at Swindon,probably around Dec.1961/Jan 1962. Saw her Jan.'62,Temple Meads coupled  ahead of a 'Warship' Plymouth-bound for testing .Cab full of 'bowler hats' looking seriously important. Thought it had descended from Mars.....never seen anything like it before....or since. A real trip back in time 'pour moi'

Post of the week for me there Ian! The Swindon shot was probably taken in January '62 looking at the amount of exhaust crud on the roof panels and there doesn't appear to be too much muck on the bogies or polished wheel rims. Lovely shot that.

Roll on to 1964 and she was in a right state externally, with patch painting all over the bodysides in mismatching Desert Sand and road grime in equal measures...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unless he wants a spare one for other purposes. :devil:

Yes.

Mike.

Care to enlighten me/us please?

Maybe Mike wants to model D1000 with it's originally proposed name that appeared on some early livery diagrams.

Cheese, Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Maybe Mike wants to model D1000 with it's originally proposed name that appeared on some early livery diagrams.

Cheese, Cheers,

Mick

Hard Cheese, you'd have to model it with more rounded corners. ;)

• Like 1

Having packed 150 different nameplates in 4 and 7 mm I can confirm there are 75 different combinations, Western Legionaire/Legionnaire being the one to be aware of.

Mike.

In theory there are more than that. Many of the Westerns had the D ground off from their numberplates later in their careers so if anyone wanted to produce numberplates without the D...

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In theory there are more than that. Many of the Westerns had the D ground off from their numberplates later in their careers so if anyone wanted to produce numberplates without the D...

Geoff Endacott

I'm already onto this, if you've got photographic proof with dates of when it was done Geoff I'd be most interested and appreciative to see them, I can only definitively find (D)1009 up to press.

Mike.