Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

But whatever you do, don't forget the 1inch height difference on 'certain plates' that the loco number plate doesn't have either.

Did these change?

Not sure myself, so probably not.

Talking of nameplates, they were terrible, as the edge beading (there weren't a single 1 piece casting) would come off quite easily in fact.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

I'm already onto this, if you've got photographic proof with dates of when it was done Geoff I'd be most interested and appreciative to see them, I can only definitively find (D)1009 up to press.

Mike.

That's the only one I can think of at the moment. I will have to check my photos for the others.

Geoff Endacott

But whatever you do, don't forget the 1inch height difference on 'certain plates' that the loco number plate doesn't have either.

Did these change?

Not sure myself, so probably not.

Talking of nameplates, they were terrible, as the edge beading (there weren't a single 1 piece casting) would come off quite easily in fact.

Cheers

Dave

Dave - do you mean the non standard height of D1000's nameplates - is this what you're referring to...? It kept these for the whole of it's (admittedly short) life.

Several Westerns received damage to their plates due to being driven from the wrong end on shed and during run round moves, quite a few of which were replaced rather than repaired. As an example what Dave says about the plates, D1000's cab side number plate is made up of fourteen seperate components and they were all vulnerable to damage... there are numerous photos in Adrian Curtis books and magazines showing parts of the beading missing on some locos. (On a related note, the original plates for WR 'namer' Brush Type 4s 1660, 1661, 1662, 1663 and 1664 were also made the same way as those for the Westerns. 1660 City Of Truro ran round for a while with bits of beading missing off one of it's plates).

Regarding D1029 - when it's name came to be spelled correctly, the original plate was cut vertically and another section dropped in with the extra 'N' and two pieces of beading.

post-7638-0-18354900-1360415766_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-14677200-1360416202_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 8

I agree with all the positives about Dapol on this - the work they have done and the way they involved their customers in the CAD process . The only 'negative' is that

the finish on the green class 52 featured on page 1 in this thread here looks a bit too matt or flat, compared to the prototype. It needs to have a more satin shine. The recent run of Bachmann Warships was very good in this respect, with green and blue well represented indeed.

This finish problem was the same  Dapol had with their 4mm  class 22's. Perhaps a spray

of satin varnish would improve it.

I suspect that it is the Steam museum in Swindon.

Geoff Endacott

You're right of course Geoff - if only they were mine - a boy can only dream though...!

Digressing slightly, I know the museum is called 'Steam' but it's a pity there isn't more of Swindon's Diesel Hydraulic history on display, what little there is consists of those name and number plates on the far wall, a seat from a D8xx Warship and the two experimental headboards made especially for the then new Westerns, both of which were photographed attached to D1000 when it first posed outside the Works for it's official portraits in November 1961 (these photos appear in Colin Judge's 'Power Of The Westerns). As far as I know, they were never used out on the mainline, I've certainly never come across any photos of them in use beyond the Works yard anyway. I also strongly suspect that the two sets of different sized wooden name and number plate mock ups also seen in Colin's book are stashed away in the museum somewhere!

000_0224_zps08d913fb.jpg

000_0225_zps0d341740.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nidge Still nice to look at - belonging to you or not. I will get a replica D1000 plate one day.

The red dragon- something wrong- the dragon errm not red?!

Perhaps Shawplan could do these for steam to go with their forthcoming D1000.

Neil

• Like 1

Nidge Still nice to look at - belonging to you or not. I will get a replica D1000 plate one day.

The red dragon- something wrong- the dragon errm not red?!

Perhaps Shawplan could do these for steam to go with their forthcoming D1000.

Neil

They certainly are Neil  ;)

Looking at the Red Dragon board again and comparing it with the pics in Colin Judges book, it seems to have been repainted, at least partially at some point,although black and white, in the photos it appears to be a red dragon on a black background....

Further to the official b&w D1000 shots in the book, on the following page there are two official shots taken inside Enterprise's cab, one of which has a very shiny D852 visible through the cab window, checking the trusty 'Book Of The Warships' reveals it was on Works from 12th to the 20th December 1961 for repairs to it's 'A' engine, now D1000 was officially taken into traffic on the 20th so these two cab shots must have been taken in that short nine day window.

Cant remember seeing a thousand with a rubbed out D. but painted over yes.I also believe only one D1018 lost a nameplate after a scrape one side whilst still in service,but am sure i may be proven wrong.

richard.

I'd have to check Richard but I *think* at least one other ran round minus a nameplate at one point.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

Regarding D1029 - when it's name came to be spelled correctly, the original plate was cut vertically and another section dropped in with the extra 'N' and two pieces of beading.

I'd love to see someone model that.......... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

I'm a kind old chap so heres a few more prototype photos for you to enjoy.

D1035 http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/no_d1035_western_yeoman_western_class_diesel_hydraulic_locomotive/print/442452.html

D1017 http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/d1017_western_warrior_western_class_diesel_hydraulic_locomotive/print/442454.html

D1033 http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/no_d1033_western_trooper_western_class_diesel_hydraulic_locomotive/print/442457.html 1973

Unknown identity http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/class_52_western_diesel_locomotive_at_paddington_station/print/413765.html

D1000 http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/no_d1000_western_enterprise_western_class_diesel_hydraulic_locomotive/print/442453.html

D1053 http://www.steampicturelibrary.com/no_d1053_western_patriarch_western_class_diesel_hydraulic_locomotive/print/442455.html

The unidentified Western at Padd with the 1C51 headcode is one of the four Crewe built green machines, D1035 / 36 / 37 or 38... can't quite make out whether or not the cab side numberplate is in the right position to dismiss or confirm it's 1036 though... it's a pity the photo isn't dated ;-)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

If it hasn't already been mentioned the Blue and Red 'thingies' under the loco are balance pipes. They connect all the tanks together (fuel & boiler water) so that all the tanks drain equally and are very prominent on a clean thousand.

Blue is water, the Red should be Brown (tan) and is fuel, Humbrol Tan paint is the correct colour.

• Like 2

Something 'Western" this way comes!!!!! :-)

Delayed in transit through the Suez by 3 days, I'm glad to say that the Westerns are now 'feet dry' at Southampton and we hope to have them fast shipped to us for Tuesday.

If this happens 'Steam' at Swindon should get their launch models about Thursday, but I'll keep you all posted tomorrow.

BR Blue and BR green are very close behind these (a week I believe) so get your orders in for them now.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 12

Evenin' all,

Great to meet up with the BCB guys in Donny today...first chance to inspect one of the new Westerns and very nice too. Many thanks to Andy York for offering to send his blue version to David Rodgers at Ultrascale in the next few days for evaluation re conversion packs.

Regards

Dave  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Something 'Western" this way comes!!!!! :-)

Delayed in transit through the Suez by 3 days, I'm glad to say that the Westerns are now 'feet dry' at Southampton and we hope to have them fast shipped to us for Tuesday.

Great news.

But were they on the Emma Maersk, then? At least they didn't get wet...

Edited by brushman47544

Great news Dave, looking forward to hearing from Steam.

Just need your help to get legomanbiffo to record one! ;)

Martin

Hi Martin,

I am in the process of putting Ian (Leggomanbiffo) togetehr with the WLA at the SVR to record D1062 when she comes out of winter hibernation. (might be 6-8 weeks away)

Between them they should get the definitive sound recording of one of these beasts.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5