Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Looks nice, would be interested to see if the Brassmasters windows fit to improve the face a bit further though.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

I wouldn't count on that making an improvement - the Brassmasters window profile is far from correct - it basically follows an unbroken circular arc across the top, rather than flattening towards the centre. The Dapol profile looks far better in my opinion.

Regards

Martin

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

SVR now there's a thought. Last time I was there was in 1987 and a friend of my Grandfathers got me a cab ride in D1062 - the driver didn't spare her on the departure from Kidderminster. It was like the good old days leaving Paddington.

Neil

Guest jim s-w

Jim,

I wouldn't count on that making an improvement - the Brassmasters window profile is far from correct - it basically follows an unbroken circular arc across the top, rather than flattening towards the centre. The Dapol profile looks far better in my opinion.

Regards

Martin

Ill take your word for it but theres still room for improvement in the area of the windscreen. Dont get me wrong it looks a loverly model and unquestionably the best wessie out of the box but its not the definative western. Id be inclined to say its down to the limitations of injection mouldings if only Heljan hadn't already done a better job in this specific area.

As people say nothing mass produced will be perfect, theres always going to be room for modellers to improve on something :)

I guess 50% of people will buy a previous offering based on price, 35% will buy this one because its the best one, 10% who really want a mega western will see this one a great point to start from and the remaining 5% who want perfection at rock bottom prices will still complain! (figures are made up BTW)

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yep Jim I may be considered a heretic by some, but one of my new Dapol wessies will be getting their headboard clips whipped off for a representation of D1026 ca 1974.

Personalised modelling - something of my childhood I want to recreate.

Neil

• Like 2

Those  coloured pipes under the loco,  blue is code for water, orange for electricity, red for vacuum

The colours are as follows -

French Blue - Engine coolant; Brown (Tan) - Fuel Oil; PInk - Lube oil; Orange - electrical; Red - FIRE; White  -  Air & Vacuum pipes ; Black - drains; Green - Boiler water.

I got a bit muddled earlier, the colours underneath are Green and Brown. I think on the DTG website there is (or was) a full length picture of the underside and that should confirm it. Having spent several weekends under D1015 cleaning and painting you'd think I'd remember.... but it was some 15 years ago....

• Like 1

Looks nice, would be interested to see if the Brassmasters windows fit to improve the face a bit further though.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

The Brass Masters etch was designed principally to improve the appearance of the Lima Western with all the limitations that imposed. They really will not be suitable for the new Dapol model. The solution I came up with when I was developing the kit gave a good representation of the delicacy of the window frame but I don't think it was possible to create an RTR model with the necessary strength. The outer pillars for example were only 0.5mm thick. When I get my hands on a Western I will look to see how many of the etched parts I have developed can be easily integrated into the new model.

Regards

Mark Humphrys

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

Great to meet up with the BCB guys in Donny today...first chance to inspect one of the new Westerns and very nice too. Many thanks to Andy York for offering to send his blue version to David Rodgers at Ultrascale in the next few days for evaluation re conversion packs.

Regards

Dave  

It will be going down already EM'ed with Ultrascale wheels just to show them how to do it :O

Can't beat a bit of "Achievable Excellence" :sungum:

Mike.

• Like 2

A lovely looking model and they seem to have got the peak . However the headcode boxes appear on the small side and is the centre pillar in the windscreen a tad too wide, something I think Heljan did slightly better.

Hi Alan - I think the slightly undersized reporting numbers and thick black line around the glazing make them look smaller than they actually are - I stand to be corrected, but I'd say if the headcode 'unit' was removed from behind, the size of the actual opening would be about right (prepared t oeat humble pie though!). The thickness of the central window pillar may be exagerated a bit by the enlargement of Andy's photos and the thickness of the glazing, I've not seen one in the flesh yet admittedly, but I still think this is an absolute corker of a model. I've been looking at the photos again (ok I admit it - rather a lot!) and I'm thinking that flush glazing just the front screens could improve the 'glasshouse' aspect of these fabulous machines even further, and hence do away with the slightly prismatic effect of the original glazing, which in turn makes the central pillar area look thicker - and by that I certainly don't mean any disrespect to Dave and team, it's just there's always going to be a certain amount of it in any 4mm r-t-r model. I'm still gobsmacked at how good the bogies and brake gear look straight out of the box and the face just says 'Western' to me.

As an example of how the reporting numbers being the right size and weight can make a difference (gratuitous arty-fartiness of these pics aside that is), here are some of my old Heljan Thousands, now long gone... I think it's also worth mentioning that having the headcodes pushed too deep into the apertures tends to make them look odd too, on these HJ models I left the glazing off and just wedged the cut out numbers tightly into the apertures so they were almost (but not quite) flush...

post-7638-0-67855600-1360678218_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-73614400-1360678316_thumb.jpg

While we're at it, here's a cracking set of Western images, which I came across flagged up on the Old Oak Common facebook page yesterday... amongst other things, they show just how dirty they could get in the Winter months, check out how sooty and black the roofs are on some of them...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13661517@N06/sets/72157632737866223/

;O)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9

While we're at it, here's a cracking set of Western images, which I came across flagged up on the Old Oak Common facebook page yesterday... amongst other things, they show just how dirty they could get in the Winter months, check out how sooty and black the roofs are on some of them...

Thanks for the link Rugd, now added to my Flickr favorites http://www.flickr.com/photos/45603744@N06/favorites

Edited by bubbles2

It will be going down already EM'ed with Ultrascale wheels just to show them how to do it :O

Mike.

Aft'noon all,

Good to see the Western running on BCB guys but please remember that David Rodgers at Ultrascale has to be presented with a loco that is absolutely 'as factory' in order for him to fully understand the model and provide a precision conversion for this loco. 

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

Hi Dave,

David Rodgers concern is simply that in order to run a OO gauge model on an EM gauge layout then something has been altered and he has no guarantee of exactly what. If he receives a loco in 'ex factory' condition then he knows that he is dealing with an absolutely standard product and can do the very best job for his customers.

Cheers

Dave   

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Mike.

So I make it 76.....

D1074 Western Achiever

D1075 Western Excellence

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

David Rodgers concern is simply that in order to run a OO gauge model on an EM gauge layout then something has been altered and he has no guarantee of exactly what. If he receives a loco that is still in the box then he knows that he is dealing with an absolutely standard product and can do the very best job for his customers.

Cheers

Dave   

One axle has already been molested at Doncaster, but I'll leave the rest of it alone then if that's Andy's wish, (and he tells me before tomorrow when the carnage is due to begin).

Realistically, IMHO, having looked at the wheels and axles, there is no more needs to be done than use the existing Ultrascale Western wheels from the Heljan conversion with a correct length stub axle and a couple of washers to limit slop. 5 minutes, job done.

Personally, if Ultrascale supply the wheels alone, then I will not be having the conversion sets.

Mike.

• Like 1

Those pictures of Westerns wearing headboards remind me of a railtour - I think it was to the SVR - I once travelled on. The Western (I forget which one) hauling the train failed, but twenty minutes later a steam engine (I think a black BR standard tank) arrived to help, wearing a headboard... "Western Replacement"!

• Like 1