Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

D1000 'Western Enterprise' models for Steam museum at Swindon have been dispatched today and will be there tomorrow.

I think the term is commonly referred to as "Woohoo"...and not often one can say this but I can't wait for the email asking for payment :no:

Martin

and not often one can say this but I can't wait for the email asking for payment :no:

Same here, I did mention to Dave earlier I hadn't been contacted for payment yet (I thought they may have got it queued up as soon as they knew they'd be ready for despatch) and I know they'll have a few to get through.

Note to STEAM, I am in today and tomorrow (no rush!!). ;)

I can confirm that the D1000 'Western Enterprise' models for Steam museum at Swindon have been dispatched today and will be there tomorrow.

That'll be another dent in my bank balance. Come to me, my precioussss. A friend of mine is a model loco collector - glass cabinets and the like - so I can't wait to show D1000 to him and watch him go all gooey-eyed.

RWJ

I haven't seen the review either but since Dave brought it up I will repeat my question regarding the fragile parts raised in the review.  What are they and on the model what are they made from and how are they attached.

Cheers

Jim

I would say that there are no fragile parts on this model, Of the 4 four models that have passed my way I had no problems with the brake rigging and for me they were very robust with none of them falling off despite removing the side frames from the model....... but admittedly I do tend to see things from an N Gauge perspective.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I haven't read this entire thread (I missed it when it started for various reasons) but having caught up with it now, this Western model is what I mean by hi-fi (as I've mentioned ad nauseam elsewhere). Some bits may be fiddly, but it's for modellers, not for playing toy trains. I doff my hat to Dapol for doing it to this standard, and hope that there are many more such models to come.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

Same here, I did mention to Dave earlier I hadn't been contacted for payment yet (I thought they may have got it queued up as soon as they knew they'd be ready for despatch) and I know they'll have a few to get through.

Note to the general members of the forum - this appears to be Andy Y in FROTH mode, rarely seen!

Stewart

• Like 4

Sorry; getting back in my box. ;)

Anyway to follow my own advice I've phoned them up and paid for it. They've only got 3 left unreserved so if anyone wants one you'd better get on the website or phone straight away. They'll be arriving tomorrow and then duly despatched.

:sungum:

True enough, though some of us remember your dismantling and attempted re-assembly of the Bachmann Standard Five, which then made it onto the front cover of Model Rail with the bodyshell still askew..... :jester:

I actually DON'T remember that, so you have the advantage of me. But I did say, did I not, that I don't ALWAYS get it right - evidently you do. In my job - and no doubt in Dapol Dave's too, there's always someone to remind you of your errors. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 9

Chris,

I am sure you know that I have no axe to grind with you and I apologise unreservedly for seeming unfair in my comments - I did not even know that you were the author of the review. It's a pity that the review was not available for everyone to read before it became such a hot topic in this forum.

My comments were driven entirely by the fact that I have seen and held this model at various shows. To me it is so far ahead of anything else I have seen 'out of the box', including the Class 22, that it did seem slightly unreasonable to knock it down to 92% just because some of the detail parts require secure fixing.

That said, I admit that I have not yet read the review and it may be that there are more factors that led to the final 'score'. I am prepared to stand corrected when I eventually see the review.

None of this stops me commending the work done by Dave and Dapol in raising the bar to a level which will hopefully be aspired to by other manufacturers.

I, for one, can't wait for delivery day.

Thank you Adrian, I appreciate your post. This year I actually mark 50 years of reviewing models, so the suggestion that those reviews might have been artificially skewed did shock me. I, too, have seen and held the model at Warley (I ordered one immediately) and I agree absolutely AND SO DOES THE REVIEW! The review says the model is great and unreservedly the best 'Western' by a country mile. I'm NOT THE AUTHOR OF THE REVIEW nor did I allocate the score marks.

As to the other posts on here, not Adrian's: The irony of all this 'guff' on this forum is that I wrote ONLY one or two sentences of that review - the ones concerning the the detached brake rigging! All this 'supposition on here that I have somehow 'panned' this model or that the author of the review has said there's something wrong with the looks of it is simply UNTRUE. What is true is that posters on this forum have questioned the look of the model. MR has said it looks spot on. Now read the questions and doubts on this forum - windscreen pillars, headcode panels, and it's actually RMweb posters that are criticising the model, not me, not Model Rail. As I've already said - the scoring system is very subjective and I, personally do not like it. However, it is something we were repeatedly asked to do. it is a whopping good score but if all people are going to do is read a percentage mark, we might as well save paper and time and not write a review. This is not football - here the scores don't matter half as much as the actual words and pictures. 

I am exceedingly fed up with all this. I'm even being reminded of mistakes from the past just in case I'd forgotten. (I actually don't think it was MY mistake). By the way, I once described a Hornby Coronation as a 4-6-0 - I've remembered that one - no need to remind me.

CHRIS LEIGH

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 12

Anyway to follow my own advice I've phoned them up and paid for it.

I was thinking the same thing about the email Andy but that ^^ is good advice, think I'll do the same, just to make sure.

Roll on the Ltd Edn WLA machine!

Martin

PS - and to Chris...don't worry about the review because at the end of the day, it is just that, a review and there's far more important things in life and the world to get worked up over, especially as I cannot believe for a second that any serious adult British Railway Modeller would make a purchase decision on a model of this level of perfection after reading a very small critique .  For my part, keep up the good work at MR Chris, your comments in Doha are always highly welcome.

Edited by trent

• RMweb Gold

Sorry; getting back in my box. ;)

Anyway to follow my own advice I've phoned them up and paid for it. They've only got 3 left unreserved so if anyone wants one you'd better get on the website or phone straight away. They'll be arriving tomorrow and then duly despatched.

:sungum:

Would you like me to collect yours when I pop down for mine ? ;)

• Like 2

Aft'noon all,

For many years the average modeller of the British Railway outline bitched about other countries having access to high quality, accurate model railway items for their railway outline, whilst they didn't. To the credit of several companies, Dapol included, we are now on a journey towards some fantastic British outline models. That journey won't be instant and there will be some pitfalls along the way but it sure is heading in the right direction. Having a standard grading system has to be one of the best ways of understanding how far along that route any particular model has travelled.

A standard percentage score for each new model should act as a good incentive for any manufacturer, as well as a guide to the many modellers who said that they wanted access to excellent models.

Cheers

Dave      

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thats surprising because when I ordered the Hornby Star over the phone they insisted on the payment.

• Like 1

I think they've changed the process for the Star Robin; if fact they shouldn't be taking full payment (via credit cards) yet for the Star as it's not ready for despatch, I did flag it up to them when they first put the Star web page up.

When I called Steam to reserve mine two weeks ago, they took my card details and phone number, and said they'd call to confirm that I still want one when they're ready to ship.

Only problem is that I'll be out from tomorrow until Tuesday a.m. ... I hope they don't sell mine to someone else if they can't reach me first time!

• RMweb Gold

I think they've changed the process for the Star Robin; if fact they shouldn't be taking full payment (via credit cards) yet for the Star as it's not ready for despatch, I did flag it up to them when they first put the Star web page up.

It wasn't a problem and from what Geoff Davies was saying they [star] were likely to come late this month.I think the batch quantity is larger than the Westerns.

Guest Belgian

Got to say if I had produced something that got 92% or 9/10 or whatever I would be pretty chuffed! Can't wait to see one in the plastic!

Mark

You could only be chuffed if it was steam! :jester:  (I'll run and hide now) . . .

JE

• Like 1

Thats surprising because when I ordered the Hornby Star over the phone they insisted on the payment.

Me too Robin. Charged to my card and I've already had to pay the bill.

I personally have a little more lattitude for the museum with this sort of thing than I would for a regular shop, but ...

Having a standard grading system has to be one of the best ways of understanding how far along that route any particular model has travelled.

A standard percentage score for each new model should act as a good incentive for any manufacturer, as well as a guide to the many modellers who said that they wanted access to excellent models.

Might that be a bit like the NEM standards that are anything but?  :)

Cheers,

D.