Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

geoffwba, on 29 Mar 2013 - 11:57, said:

Help ! I have just purchased the model of D1038 Western Sovereign and am of course eager to get it working. I thought fitting a decoder would be a two minute job, but one of the body securing screws just will not budge- the others came out very easily. I don't know whether they are put in by machine at the factory but this blighter will not shift at all. I don't want to apply too much pressure in case I damage the body or destroy the screw head. Before I take it back to the shop, does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the offending screw?

Mine all came out Ok first time round but when I removed the body again one would not budge - bizarre! Ended up drilling it out - drilled easily so soft metal - so Lady down to 3 screws too

Kind regards

Phil

I'm not sure if they belong in this thread or not... but these were the "n gauge" 2mm units on display at Ally Pally.

post-8351-0-67233100-1364584614.jpg

Apologies for the photo quality... use of phone only.

there was only a maroon syp 4mm one on display.

• Like 3

Have just been looking at my recently delivered blue one (D1005 Western Venturer). What a fantastic looking model!

I won't have a chance to test her out for a little while yet, but I'm seriously tempted to buy a second one, and get some nameplates from Shawplan so it can have a different number and name!

One question I do have, and apologies if it's been covered already but I haven't got time right now to wade through the entire topic, but do we know when spare headcode sets will be available for these? Perhaps DapolDave can clarify here?

I looked on the DCC Supplies website but could only find Class 22 ones, nothing for the Westerns.

• RMweb Gold

Have just been looking at my recently delivered blue one (D1005 Western Venturer). What a fantastic looking model!

I won't have a chance to test her out for a little while yet, but I'm seriously tempted to buy a second one, and get some nameplates from Shawplan so it can have a different number and name!

One question I do have, and apologies if it's been covered already but I haven't got time right now to wade through the entire topic, but do we know when spare headcode sets will be available for these? Perhaps DapolDave can clarify here?

I looked on the DCC Supplies website but could only find Class 22 ones, nothing for the Westerns.

Drop me a PM if you want mine

Altenatively look at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67674-Dapol-western-photo-review/page-49&do=findComment&comment=992510 for using Precision Labels back lit headcodes

Phil

... somehow I totally failed to spot any Blue ones at Ally Pally, with only a selction of amroon and green on display at Dapol... from what I could see, but a good selection on 2mm examples in the cabinet. Unfortinately, I think the OO examples had the warning that they were pre-production samples so not representative of the full production ones... or was I confused (I wasn't feeling my best to be honest and the scrum put me off battling through). Hope to see a blue one in the flesh eventually and make that all important decision.

I have just taken delivery of a blue one, trust me it's a marvellous looking model...you won't be disappointed with how it looks  :maninlove:

The accessories pack with my model does not seem to include any lifting rings. Are these made of metal or plastic and how many should there be ? If I have counted correctly, there are 32 holes on the roof.   Also, what are the little plastic bits for (not the hoses or brake shoes)  ?   The best way I can describe them is like the bottom half of a human or robot body- just the lower torso and legs!

The accessories pack with my model does not seem to include any lifting rings. Are these made of metal or plastic and how many should there be ? If I have counted correctly, there are 32 holes on the roof.   Also, what are the little plastic bits for (not the hoses or brake shoes)  ?   The best way I can describe them is like the bottom half of a human or robot body- just the lower torso and legs!

As per the opening post there should be an etched fret with 32 painted rings on.

post-1-0-52192000-1359573506_thumb.jpg

I think the plastic bits you refer to are in the centre of the image below; they're steps.

post-1-0-01582000-1359572745_thumb.jpg

My name's on a maroon one that my local shop is getting. I'm worried they might forget to call me and sell it to someone elase (well, you would be wouldn't you!) so It would be nice to know when arrival's likely so I can give them a timely reminder. Any ideas Dave??

• RMweb Premium

Can I take this opportunity to publicly thank Dapol Dave for his generous help supplying a replacement set of head code labels for mine as I had none packed in with my blue example.

Mine is becoming D1037 Western Empress as soon as I get back from work and hopefully will be in traffic tomorrow.

• Like 3

I haven't even run mine yet and won't be able to for a few weeks at least, but I'm SO tempted to get another blue one  :sungum:

D1011 Western Thunderer is currently my likely choice for renumbering and renaming a second one of these.

I have a question about the supplied etchings though....the box contains a pair of number and name plates (D1005 / Western Venturer) and what appears to be a small oval works plate.

Question is, where on the loco is that that small oval work pate supposed to go? I've been looking at some photos of the real thing, and some appear to have these above the number while some have it located to the right-hand side of the cab door. 

I've also noticed on photos of the real thing from the mid-70s timeframe have a square plate below the number, but earlier photos (from 1967 for example) show the red 'spot' below the number, like seen on the Dapol blue version.

So am I right in thinking the Dapol blue model is based on how the locos would have looked in the late 1960s? 

If that's the case then I presume the small oval works plate would be positioned to the right of the cab door?

Any pointers here greatly appreciated!

Edited by southernelectric

I haven't even run mine yet and won't be able to for a few weeks at least, but I'm SO tempted to get another blue one  :sungum:

D1011 Western Thunderer is currently my likely choice for renumbering and renaming a second one of these.

I have a question about the supplied etchings though....the box contains a pair of number and name plates (D1005 / Western Venturer) and what appears to be a small oval works plate.

Question is, where on the loco is that that small oval work pate supposed to go? I've been looking at some photos of the real thing, and some appear to have these above the number while some have it located to the right-hand side of the cab door. 

I've also noticed on photos of the real thing from the mid-70s timeframe have a square plate below the number, but earlier photos (from 1967 for example) show the red 'spot' below the number, like seen on the Dapol blue version.

So am I right in thinking the Dapol blue model is based on how the locos would have looked in the late 1960s? 

If that's the case then I presume the small oval works plate would be positioned to the right of the cab door?

Any pointers here greatly appreciated!

The 'plates' you see beside the cab door or below the number plate are actually depot old style oval depot allocation stickers and data panels, both of which were printed on self adhesive vinyl.... the oval depot stickers applied to up until about late '68, while the data panels were added to locos passing through Works from that point onwards (and on subsequent repaints done at Laira from 1972 onwards).

As Richard says above, here's where your cast metal builders plate sits (it's the same on both sides)...

post-7638-0-16349000-1364755039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

I sit waiting for my sound chip to arrive with baited breath!. Suggest to anyone 'using' their loco in a serious manner, exhibition layouts etc etc that they order a spare set of pipes, brake rods, steps, sand fillers etc etc etc from DCC supplies as there are a lot of small parts that even when attached are vulnerable to getting knocked off? Anyone actually fitted the lifting rings yet?

Basing my observations purely on the photographs on page 12 of this thread, it would appear that in the model, a definite opening has been created into which to secure the rectangular section of the small lifting rings, whereas on the original locos they appear to be just a ring that stands proud of the roof surface. If that is the case, then were the model to have simply locating holes for the rings, 'Details Associates' wire eye bolts would be a good option. It may well be the case that these could still be used, and when located, they would hide the female part of the locating method in the roof. Just a thought based on the photos mentioned above, as I have not seen the model in the 'flesh'. The wire locating prong may need to be trimmed depending on the amount of space just below the inside of the roof.

Got my Rail Blue version the other day (to be named 'Campaigner', as that's what pulled the 'Western Requiem relief' train on which I travelled in 1977), and a maroon version will follow when it's available. 

A terrific model, really looks the part, and is sooooooo smooth, powerful and runs beautifully over pointwork. Only slight disappointment is the previously-mentioned indicator boxes, but having followed the thread, I think I'll get that sorted. Those lifting eyes looks a challenge for my eyes though!

Now, regarding performance. Could it be mine, or is it geared just a tad slow? I haven't yet done any proper 'speed testing' and adjusting for scale, but while I certainly don't want 'train set' speeds, it's not up to express speeds at it's maximum. What does anyone else think?       

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold

Yes....it is slower than some r-t-r but after careful running-in will attain prototypical speed ranges and 'crawl' delightfully. With regard to 'noise'.....this is a subjective issue.If it offends,then get in touch with your retailer or Dapol for advice.Bear in mind that there will be 'rogue' models in every release and Dapol are not trouble-free ( nor do they claim to be ) but they DO offer a 2-year warranty and I know from personal experience that DCC Supplies are 5-star on this. I had trouble with a 22 last year ( short on wheel set contact ). Tomorrow my D 1005 returns for a replacement.....lights not working......see my earlier posting. So things can go wrong.......BUT they can also be put right.

• RMweb Premium

D1037 'Western Empress' has now been released from my workbench.  I have installed drivers in the cab interiors but I have to admit I chickened out of fitting the roof lifting rings for the moment, the carpet monster would probably have had a field day.

post-6910-0-08687300-1364842501_thumb.jpg

As a precaution I also removed all the brake rigging and then refitted it with a discrete dab of glue here and there to be on the safe side.

• Like 7