Dapol 'Western'

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Owen!

She looks a tart in this livery - hee hee

Ties her to a fairly restricted period - May 76 onwards if I remember correctly. Did she still have a red RA disc - and a data panel perhaps?

We have a Heljan one in this livery so we can run The Merchant Venturer railtour with a B/G gresley buffet in the formation.

Kind regards

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Owen!

She looks a tart in this livery - hee hee

Ties her to a fairly restricted period - May 76 onwards if I remember correctly. Did she still have a red RA disc - and a data panel perhaps?

We have a Heljan one in this livery so we can run The Merchant Venturer railtour with a B/G gresley buffet in the formation.

Kind regards

Phil

Certainly done up 'very tiddly' as they would say in the RN.  Somewhere I have a number of colour slides taken at that time - after Laira had had a major go with the paintbrush - but it will be a big job finding them.  But I suspect they might hold the answer too your question - if no other source does - as they were taken within a few days of the loco emerging from Laira.

Ah, dear old Ranger - Laira's pet loco before Fusilier was thrust into the limelight later on! Ranger's plates were painted red on 30th April '76 and stayed that way right up until withdrawl and entry into preservation, and during the same repaint the wheel trims, buffer heads, headboard clips, the top half of the screw couplings and the footsteps in the side skirts were all touched up in silver. Prior to this though Ranger had already been given a tart up at Laira, between the 9th and 13th September 1975 when it's buffers, footsteps and wheel trims were all painted silver.

Edit : forgot those pesky little red dots again - these were not present on Ranger during it's 'celeb' period, as it wore the old style data panel below the numberplates at the time, along with the then standard 'LA' shed sticker above the plates ;O)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

Looks just like I remember seeing her coming out of Sapperton tunnel from the front of a Gloucester bound DMU in August 76................had my only Western haulage (I know, I know - I was only 13 and didn't realise until almost too late what was happening) 1009 Invader back to Paddington later that day..............had a streaming cold but window hung all the way - fabulous.................

Nice one Owen!She looks a tart in this livery - hee heeTies her to a fairly restricted period - May 76 onwards if I remember correctly. Did she still have a red RA disc - and a data panel perhaps?We have a Heljan one in this livery so we can run The Merchant Venturer railtour with a B/G gresley buffet in the formation.Kind regardsPhil

Hi Phil, not in that position, I'll rub it off and put a data panel over it soon. A bit of buffer grease mad a light dusting of break dust to go.

I did have the Heljan ranger with sound but intend to fit this one with sound instead, I've got rid of Heljan Ranger but will keep 2 other Heljan westerns I have. I do have a kernow western on order too. The reason I did it as D1013 was because of memories of chasing westerns about in final year and as a kid I liked the red plated loco as it was different,

Owen.

• Like 1

I know we've had this one before but here she is in all her 1976-77 glory... after arrival on the blocks with a railtour on 26th September '76 which ran from Paddington - Bath - Newport - Hereford - Worcester - Birmingham - Oxford - Paddington...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D1013_Western_Ranger_in_Paddington.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4

'Ou sont' perhaps? 'Where are the Blues?'- a question resonating around the Stade de France two weeks ago..

That model looks very tasty...

Better would be 'où sont les blues', with a grave accent on the u (ou = or; où = where).

Very tasty indeed...very, very tempting... too tempting...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Better would be 'où sont les blues', with a grave accent on the u (ou = or; où = where).

Very tasty indeed...very, very tempting... too tempting...

Apologies for my humiliating schoolboy French 'gaffe'---for which i stand justifiably chastised. As a suitable penance, I have sourced a 'blue' (CMC) , which should soon be 'whizzing'  its way to me shortly. Elusive creatures.....

• RMweb Gold

Good point......'Ou est les bleus ?' The bigger retailers seem to have been allocated some (soon sold out) but a number are still awaiting theirs,it seems. Wonder what the situation is....

At least one on Monk Bar Model Shop (York) on Monday. They do mail order as well.

Edited by MikeParkin65

Nice one Phil ;O)

Looking at that reminds me of something I meant to mention earlier - on these blue beasties the yellow paint extends down just a bit too far compared to the real McCoys, the raised lip above the buffer beam should be blue, with the dividing line between the blue and yellow areas running parallel with it right to the cab corners - the same thing would apply to the maroon Westerns which carried full yellow ends for a while. (Only a minor niggle but easily corrected or disguised with a bit of weathering ;) ).

No, the deco approval model hasn't been approved yet, so late may I think.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Really looking forward to this one having placed my order with the WLA before Christmas.  Will the livery issues noted above that affects the colour of the buffer beam beading below the yellow warning panels be addressed.

Help !    I have just purchased the model of D1038 Western Sovereign and am of course eager to get it working.    I thought fitting a decoder would be a two minute job, but one of the body securing screws just will not budge- the others came out very easily. I don't know whether they are put in by machine at the factory but this blighter will not shift at all.   I don't want to apply too much pressure in case I damage the body or destroy the screw head.     Before I take it back to the shop, does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the offending screw? 

• RMweb Premium

Same happened to me, three screws removed with a lot of determination, fourth one was jammed tight. Attempting to remove it with various screwdrivers merely resulted in stripping the screw head however...

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED :O :scared:

I managed to get the edge of a small screwdriver under the edge of the screw head and with some very gentle upwards levering (whilst holding my breath and metaphorically crossing my fingers) I managed to lift out the short screw with the brass bevel into which it screws still attached and no apparent damage.

It does mean that I will only be able to resecure the body with three of the four screws but at least I managed to get it off.

It is an issue that needs addressing however.

Edited by John M Upton

Having tried a different screwdriver, I still managed to ruin the screw head so resorted to the solution of gently prising the whole screw/brass bezel from the loco body and that has enable me to remove it, with only minor sufrace damage to the body underside.   It does mean I can only resecure the body with three screws, but as the previous respondent said, it is a problem which needs to be addressed by Dapol.