Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

I was wondering what looked different and thats what it is lol.

I wonder why one green one though is £10 cheaper than all the other 14's. More of Hattons strange pricing policy.

It's the only unweathered repeat of a livery they produced in the first batch.

• RMweb Gold

It's the only unweathered repeat of a livery they produced in the first batch.

I thought they were all £115 originally, ah well, if I go for one then I guess thats the one and save myself a tenner.

I also wonder how good the weathering is, ie when those wheels turn will it be weathered or reveal a shiny line across all the wheels.

I was wondering what looked different and thats what it is lol.

I wonder why one green one though is £10 cheaper than all the other 14's. More of Hattons strange pricing policy.

Its the only clean one of the batch apart from that dodgy Loadhaul one which may account for the cheaper price. Edit: should have done a refresh before posting!

I see we haven't got a glossy green one yet!

The Loadhaul one has something a bit wrong with the coupling rods in the pictures too :lol: .

I've been sorely tempted for a while by the class 14s. They are pricey, but the new batch do look better than the first batch - it really does make a difference having those pickups painted.

I agree that it would be nice to get a report on how good the weathering is. Some years ago I bought a Bachmann weathered 04 that looked great up until it ran for the first time revealing a clean line across all the wheels where the side rods had been when it had been sprayed at the factory.

I'm torn between the weathered Blue Circle cement one, the BR blue 14029 (shame about those pickups, but nothing a tin of paint and some care won't fix) and - bizarrely - the Loadhaul version, as long as they don't all have upside down connecting rods like the Hattons picture! I was hoping that they might have knocked a tenner off the price of 14029 for being non-weathered, but it hasn't happened.

Are there any other niggles from the first batch that have been fixed for the second batch other than the power pickups getting a coat of black?

• RMweb Gold

I agree that it would be nice to get a report on how good the weathering is.

I have emailed Hattons so shall see what the reply is.

And the reply is;

"Thank you for your enquiry. No unfortunately the wheels have not been rotated whilst the weathering was applied."

So sadly that nice weathering will be spoilt by spinning clean shiny bars on the wheels.:(

Its annoying when this happens, Bachmann is the same but obviously it shows more with exposed wheels and motion/rods.

• Like 1

Bought the BR pristine one and it LOOKS very nice; it seems to stall a lot and when I looked at the pickups it seems that

they are not touching the wheel at all times when you move the wheel from side to side - tho the motor seems smooth enough.

Also may need to remove alittle of the paint on the pickups too.Anyone else had this problem?

Bought the BR pristine one and it LOOKS very nice; it seems to stall a lot and when I looked at the pickups it seems that

they are not touching the wheel at all times when you move the wheel from side to side - tho the motor seems smooth enough.

Also may need to remove alittle of the paint on the pickups too.Anyone else had this problem?

A significant minority of owners, I'd say. Go back to page 7 of this thread, and pick up developments from around post 150, the whole remedial saga unfolds from there on in.:D

My Blue Circle one arrived yesterday. I also broke off one of the sets of cab steps, whilst I was fiddling about fitting the brake shoes but luckily it was not flung across the room (either by the con. rods or my frustration)and I was able to stick it back on. The one the other side did not appear to be glued into the frame (just pressed in), so I fixed that at the same time. I am going to have to be careful: it is too easy to pick the loco up by the cab and have your fingers wrap around underneath and there go the steps.

The weathering is OK (no bare patches on the wheels) and the model runs well. My loco was delivered without any headcode numbers but I am not too bothered as I was not intending to use them anyway. From what I have seen, the headcodes on the privately owned examples were allowed to rot away to nothing, so not fitting any seems prototypical.

Dave

Class 14 Cab Steps

Just wondering if any of the after market suppliers have come up with replacement cab steps for the Heljan Class 14 not because I think there is anything wrong with the originals but because one of mine has just broken off. Actually, it got bent inwards from poor handling [guilty] and then the rods hit it and it pinged off across the room.

I don't normally model 4mm standard gauge but I seem to have collected a few odd diesels.

The leaflet which came with my model suggests that you contact Hattons directly for spares, quoting the catalogue number and the part number shown by each item. In case you did not have this information with yours, the part number for the steps is 37. It should not be too difficult to drill out the bits left behind in the slots and glue in the new part.

Dave

Received my loadhaul version in the post this morning. No certificate with it, contrary to the product description on the hattons website. I have emailed Hattons for clarification on this. Anyone else got a Loadhaul version yet and if so, did you get a cert with it?

First impressions are I quite like it. I never saw the real thing in operation but I have to say the livery suits the loco.

The cranks look a bit weird, almost bent if you are looking down at them, not sure if this is supposed to be the case or if other models are the same.

*gribble*

Received my loadhaul version in the post this morning. No certificate with it, contrary to the product description on the hattons website. I have emailed Hattons for clarification on this. Anyone else got a Loadhaul version yet and if so, did you get a cert with it?

First impressions are I quite like it. I never saw the real thing in operation but I have to say the livery suits the loco.

The cranks look a bit weird, almost bent if you are looking down at them, not sure if this is supposed to be the case or if other models are the same.

*gribble*

They have advised me that the certificate will be sent out to me separately as they have not yet arrived.

Cheers

Really happy with my Blue Circle Class 14 although would have preferred it not weathered, but unfortunately I'm a sucker for anything Blue Circle due to my Dad & Grandfather working at Earles/APCM in Hope.

Would love to get my 14 renumbered to D9505/D9534 - anyone know if they carried the same logo as D9526, namely

047f7b72-1.jpg

with number and works name changed in same font - or were the Hope pairs totally different?

Dont suppose anyone has any original photos?

On a similar theme I always though the pair were scrapped in Belgium, in which case where a pair of Class 14's returned to Hope for the open day in 2008

Class 14 - D9534

were there others surviving members of the class renumbered for the occasion?

Cheers

Paul.

My example of D9521 arrived today, and looks very nice indeed. No loose parts despite travelling halfway around the world, and the blackened pickups (as noted above) make a big difference. I haven't run it yet - need to dig out the DC controller.

The idea is (eventually) to convert it to D9504 as used during the rebuilding of Whitemoor, complete with orange-clad shunter hanging off the steps. Possibly this will upset exhibition visitors at the shocking incorrect mix of periods as a class 14 shunts a set of Falcons or MRAs around :D

In theory I should do something about the headcode boxes, but this seems a bit scary - has anyone else done this? In this image they appear to have been removed entirely rather than plated over.

Will

[ edit: Given it a quick run now, and it's nice and quiet and runs through my pointwork happily enough. There's a fair bit of sideplay in the axles, and a hint of a rolling gait, but that's quite characterful :) ]

Re: Item 1404/ D9521

Have had a class 14 from Hattons just a couple of weeks now and gave it a first run today. A smooth runner though the headcode box + white marker light/ tail light only work when the long nose is at the driven end/ 'front'. I assume it therefore has a fault. Any comments/ observations/ remedies please? - if not it'll go back to hattons...

Thank you,

Dudley

• RMweb Gold

I second that - even though it may affect my sales!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

I'll second that - just done my original D9500 to D9525 with these - a huge improvement

Phil Bullock

• 2 months later...

Guys with the loadhaul version, are you happy with it and does it fit in well with what ever you have it running with? Sorely tempted to get one myself as i'm a sucker for things that are different, but been told to wait until after fathers day :(

gribble: it does say somewhere it's a ficticious livery hence why you've never seen the original!