Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

Hatton's website shows latest class 14's to have the wasp stripes extending above the front doors as they should and headcodes ready fitted, that should help if not wanting to take the loco to pieces unless different headcodes needed. :no:

• Like 1

Guys, with apologies to all because it's probably been covered already....

I need to get the headcodes installed in my 14. Can anyone tell me how to get the loco apart safely? I remember it was covered in an article in Model Rail, but can I find the article now? Can I...........

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me and my fists of ham out.

Guys, with apologies to all because it's probably been covered already....

I need to get the headcodes installed in my 14. Can anyone tell me how to get the loco apart safely? I remember it was covered in an article in Model Rail, but can I find the article now? Can I...........

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me and my fists of ham out.

See post 246 for video instruction.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

Here is a simple low cost way to deal with the extra side play in the drive cranks.

10mins, no stripping down and about £1

Cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for putting your video on here. I put 2 washers each side on the jackshaft, and 2 washers each side on the leading wheelsets. One each side on the middle drivers. The loco can negotiate small radius Peco 75 electrofrogs, and runs like a dream. It seems the transverse play in the axles means that when negotiating curves, one side will loose its pickup ability, hence poor running.

So impressed, I might get another....

Many thanks,

Ian

• 4 months later...

My 14 arrived yesterday, from Hattons, however all vids on YouTube and reviews concerning it seem to say the headcode numbers have to be fitted. Mine came with the codes installed already and no sheet of them was in the box. Do you think I have I been sold a second hand or returned one? I bought it on the basis it was new!

post-21829-0-58944400-1401014497_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Guys with the loadhaul version, are you happy with it and does it fit in well with what ever you have it running with? Sorely tempted to get one myself as i'm a sucker for things that are different, but been told to wait until after fathers day sad.gif

gribble: it does say somewhere it's a ficticious livery hence why you've never seen the original!

I am delighted with mine. When I ran it on the club layout, the room fell silent. A teenage member asked if it was a German loco (which seemed a fair question) and afterwards an ex-railwayman did quietly tell me it was a fictitious livery. I think it needs some nameplates, perhaps on the solebars.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

To be fair they may have changed things but I do recall a van I bought "new" from a reputable retailer which had Kadee couplings in the NEM pockets... explain that....

• RMweb Gold

I'll be contacting Hattons on Tuesday, if they have have sold me second hand as new, I won't be happy!

I expect they are open on Monday if you can face a difficult conversation on a bank holiday!

I expect they are open on Monday if you can face a difficult conversation on a bank holiday!

Going by Boxinfo's post above, the latest versions are already fitted with head codes to avoid the difficult task of dismantling to fit these.

If you look on their website,you will see clearly that they DO come with headcodes in place...which saves you a lot of bother,does it not ?

Just because a picture shows headcodes doesn't necessarily mean that the item would come like that! Now if the blurb said " comes with headcode numbers fitted" I wouldn't have been in doubt!

• RMweb Gold

Just because a picture shows headcodes doesn't necessarily mean that the item would come like that! Now if the blurb said " comes with headcode numbers fitted" I wouldn't have been in doubt!

I think you will find that Hattons images are "what you see is what you get"......i.e what is in the box.Latest Heljan releases now come with much more detail already in place.

Look at post 485....October 2011 for confirmation,

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks like a good fix as I could not get my to run well, though which Peco washers were used ? the R9 1/8th  diameter ones?

Hi Paul,

Have a look at post 488 above. I used the same washers as Mike, only I used more. You can experiment, to see what suits you. Best of all, it only cost me about 2 quid!

Regards,

Ian

• 1 month later...

I am  just  about  to  order  a  class 14,  which   will need to  be  digitized,  I believe  that  the  decoder  space  is limited  can  anyone  recommend  a  decoder  please>?

Edited by Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

Hi, yes the space is small and the decoder needs to be well insulated so it doesn't touch anything metal and go bang.

I found it quite difficult to fit a decoder and managed to pull one of the wires out of the chassis. I suspect it was from the pick ups as the loco no longer worked. Then I could not find a way of repairing it. Oops.

So you might want to consider getting one from a retailer who will fit the chip for you.

I've now got a blue class 14 fitted with DCC sound by Olivia's Trains in Sheffield. They weathered it for me too. It looks good and sounds good.

Thanks  for  the  info, so  I  guess  a  small decoder  is  required!

I have  no  qualms  about  fitting  decoders  I have  been  doing  it  since  '97!

I am  actually  doing  this  for  a  friend  who  has  just  bought one  at  Hattons  bargain  price   and  I was  thinking of  buying  one  as  well!

Hi Steve,

I used a Gaugemaster DCC22 back in about December 2011 but as the socket was so chunky, I cut that off and replaced it with a slimline socket and all was good. I'm sure there must be better, smaller & cheaper options now though.

post-6892-0-31089400-1406239797.jpg

First job to tackle was to remove the cab steps as they are easily broken, plenty of other instruction online or I can PM you then set I wrote as part of a P4 conversion.

Cheers,

John E.

Afternoon all - has anyone else bought the Blue Circle liveried loco ? I received mine yesterday minus any headcodes. I have been told by Hattons that as this was a private loco there would be no headcodes but it does look decidedly daft without them.

Has anyone else experienced the same ?

Thanks

Chris