Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

• RMweb Gold

I had a bit of a surprise today...

When I went into The Model Shop, Exeter today, he had a brand new condition Hattons/Heljan Class 14 in the second hand display cabinet. Wasn't expecting to see one so soon.....

When I left the shop, it wasn't in the second hand cabinet any more.... :D

When I went into The Model Shop, Exeter today, he had a brand new condition Hattons/Heljan Class 14 in the second hand display cabinet. Wasn't expecting to see one so soon.....

Well done to Heljan yet again; despite what people might say, it really is incredibly faithful to the prototype for them to appear on the pre-owned market so soon wink.gif

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Well done to Heljan yet again; despite what people might say, it really is incredibly faithful to the prototype for them to appear on the pre-owned market so soon wink.gif

Only thing is, mine won't be re-painted in NCB livery..... :D

But that wasn't all of it, there were a couple of other mint Heljan items there, that were obtained for someone else at very good prices..... :)

• 1 month later...

Tim,

I know you were concerned about this loco - good to see you have taken the plunge.

I have just finished converting mine whith a set of Ultrascale drop in wheels - a very straight forward job.

Decided to 'fill in' the buffer beam hole using plasticard and am pleased with the result.

post-6970-128292715832_thumb.jpg

A few other photos are on my blog.

Not be a diesel aficionado can anyone advise on whether both white lights and both red tail lights should be 'on' when travelling forwards... mine has only the right side whitle and tail on?

IIRC main line diesel shunting locos carry a red light and a white one at both ends. However if tripping you would then need to switch to white only and red tail if not hauling anything.

The lights - one 'marker' light and one red tail light on are correct for Wesern Region hydraulics , certainly the Hymeks

and Warships have this feature. Whilst the rest of the world uses twin or triple marker lights , BR's western were

almost stubbornly different- even the lamp irons on class 37's diesel had to be modified to 'conform'. Ghost of the GWR.

• RMweb Gold
Had anyone checked if the wheelbase is accurate on these?

I haven't checked against a scale drawing (although I was planning to do this for other reasons), but is there any reason to suspect that Heljan haven't got the wheelbase right?

I haven't checked against a scale drawing (although I was planning to do this for other reasons), but is there any reason to suspect that Heljan haven't got the wheelbase right?

No, I'd copied the Swindon drawings for etched rods do wondered if they'd fit the Heljan model too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Class 14 Cab Steps

Just wondering if any of the after market suppliers have come up with replacement cab steps for the Heljan Class 14 not because I think there is anything wrong with the originals but because one of mine has just broken off. Actually, it got bent inwards from poor handling [guilty] and then the rods hit it and it pinged off across the room.

I don't normally model 4mm standard gauge but I seem to have collected a few odd diesels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at the Hattons' pics, they still seem to have the wrong typeface for the numbers on the BR green versions. That would not stop me buying one if I was in the market for a class 14 (which I'm not!) but it would still annoy me since I don't think anyone produces transfers with the correct typeface to allow the purchaser to fix it.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Looking at the photos on the Hattons website, the blackened pick-ups do seem to make the models look much better than the first releases with the shiny copper ones

David

I was wondering what looked different and thats what it is lol.

I wonder why one green one though is £10 cheaper than all the other 14's. More of Hattons strange pricing policy.

From what I see on Hattons website the typeface on D9521 and D9535 look OK, although I haven't seen one close up, and looks a big improvement on D9500 where they used the typeface from the preserved loco, which does have the wrong typeface! I believe Cambridge Custom Transfers do the complete range of numbers for the class 14. Hattons should of got it right on this new batch, they were told!