Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

Just got my two this morning. One green and one blue. The blue one runs very smoothly but is a bit noisier than the green. The green one runs ok in short nose direction, but has a tight spot in the long nose direction.

On checking my D9500 it's OK running long bonnet first, however it hesitates somewhat in the short bonnet direction. Is this similar to what other people have experienced? Will running improve or should I return it to Hattons for replacement?

Just got my two this morning. One green and one blue. The blue one runs very smoothly but is a bit noisier than the green. The green one runs ok in short nose direction, but has a tight spot in the long nose direction.

On checking my D9500 it's OK running long bonnet first, however it hesitates somewhat in the short bonnet direction. Is this similar to what other people have experienced? Will running improve or should I return it to Hattons for replacement?

It may be fairly typical - I ordered two (one for a mate), and the first two both had problems running short bonnet first. With no fixed layout to run them in on, I wasnt prepared to risk them not improving, so they were returned. We ended up getting through five locos before settling on two we were happy with (other problems included damaged plastic handrails), and even then, one is noisier than t'other, although with minimal lubrication (a dab of Vaseline on the visible gear - no dismantling), it did quieten after a few minutes running.

I will say that Hattons have been as helpful as you could reasonably wish for - follow the return instructions on their website and return postage is refunded, so all it cost me was the time in reparcelling and going to the PO (which I did on a normal Saturday shopping trip). I do have my doubts though about the overall spec and QC on these models, and I'm not a habitual moaner about RTR. I just wish I could feel it had been a model I really wanted to buy, one that brings that little smile to your face like the 15 and 17, rather than one I felt I had to

has anyone else noticed that the next batch from hattons include a loadhaul version blink.gif

Argh yes Loadhaul livery was first seen 25 years earlierwink.gif

I presume they mean the livery received to D9531 in 1969 whilst at British Oak, which was basicaly black cab and footplate/toolboxes with orange bonnets, buffer beams and chevrons and was numbered D2/9531.

By 1970 it had recieved the Hargreaves four way arrow stickers on the cabsides and in the headcode panels.

It did look very good in this livery, although by the time it got to the North East it had become very grubby.

Trevor.

Hattons have announced one in British Steel Blue livery has any one seen this livery?

Mark Saunders

Mark

This was a rather dark blue livery with a largish no example 59 and faded very easily, rather a boring livery I'm affraid.

The Blue Circle one sounds interesting. If they're going to do D9526, this was in original BR green livery, with just the panel below the cabside windows painted yellow with the blue polo motif and looked very nice.

It also had a headlight fitted to the top of the short bonnet and was still carrying its works plates.

The model is of 14029 in an earlier preservation livery, not the present livery. Some interesting images can be found here.

The blue loco you saw IS a class 14. One of the Hattons models is based on it. It's 14029 and the model was reviewed in Rail Express here

Hope that answers your question. I'd like to go and have a look at that myself. Is it easy to see from the road then?

Guest Max Stafford

For those of you not already aware. I have found that if you loosen off the keeper plate screws on the base of the chassis, the running of the model loosens off considerably too. I wonder if they're using electric screwdrivers at the factory and over-tightening the screws in the first instance. If you take this action and pack out the jackshaft cranks with 2-3 fibre washers (with a small fitting notch cut out), you'll pretty much cure any less than perfect running. I'm very happy with mine now.

Dave.

For those of you not already aware. I have found that if you loosen off the keeper plate screws on the base of the chassis, the running of the model loosens off considerably too. I wonder if they're using electric screwdrivers at the factory and over-tightening the screws in the first instance. If you take this action and pack out the jackshaft cranks with 2-3 fibre washers (with a small fitting notch cut out), you'll pretty much cure any less than perfect running. I'm very happy with mine now.

Dave.

Interesting - I might try my one again, though I won't do anything that would affect the return option. Can't find 1400 on Hattons website, maybe they still have some for returns?

With the cost of the loco being higher than average you would have thought that QC would have been better and that it would run slowly. I am comparing a RTR loco with the masterpiece I saw running on Canada Road...

Argh yes Loadhaul livery was first seen 25 years earlierwink.gif

I presume they mean the livery received to D9531 in 1969 whilst at British Oak, which was basicaly black cab and footplate/toolboxes with orange bonnets, buffer beams and chevrons and was numbered D2/9531.

By 1970 it had recieved the Hargreaves four way arrow stickers on the cabsides and in the headcode panels.

It did look very good in this livery, although by the time it got to the North East it had become very grubby.

Trevor.

It actually says on the Hattons website that it is a fictional livery, so there's a good chance it'll be in genuine Loadhaul. I'd have one, think the colours would suit it and it would certainly be something a little different.

I was sent this today, it was Green and had a part repaint!

Hattons have changed the description of the BSC one.

Mark Saunders

All the BSC locos remained in BR colours until withdrawn in 1980 - 81. This matched the standard minerals colours anyway, they'd been green in steam days. All bar one (9523 I think it was) had the cab sides painted and the large BSC numbers in white on a black panel. Variously they had flashing orange "teddy bear" ears or rotating orange beacons on either side of the cab roof. None were ever painted in the BSC blue.

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread, particularly the faults found with the model and the ingenious remedies. I am now confident that I can deal with any problems and have taken the plunge and ordered the Blue Circle model for my cement works.

None of the Class 14s worked in my area (either in BR or private service) so I don't know too much about them. As I have chosed a private-owner example, I was wondering what the private companies did with the headcode box. Did they have new blinds made that could display information useful for the company's operation; did they fix the headcode to display 0O00 or a line of dots, or did they leave the headcode as displayed when the loco arrived until it rotted away?

Any help would be welcomed, particularly if it applied to D9526 (the one that went to APCM).

Dave

oh dear

it has to be said, I did want this model, but I really cannot be bothered to have to modify it to make it work!

Hi

Don't worry you don't have to do anything to it, it will work out of the box, but if you want it to work even better then some of the ideas here will help you do that!

You could look at my two videos on youtube and see some very simple ideas for improvements?

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikesndbs

I guess in the end it depends what you want from it?

Good luck

• RMweb Gold

As Hattons have Said they will be having a Blue Circle Cement Yellow livery class 14 has anyone got or know of where there is a picture of the real loco?

Pete

I found a picture of a Blue Circle 14 a while back, luckily bookmarked it.

http://dave-higson.f.../p34312894.html

Don't know if the Hattons one will be exactly like this but only one I could find.

Edit: Looking at Hattons CAD image looks the same http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=33110

Cheers.

Garry

• RMweb Gold

Ah, well spotted! I don't think that was what I saw, in that case, although the blue thing I saw was in just about the same place. Knew I should have taken a photo, even from the distance of the road...

There is a way to see the white loco using your pc.

Go to the map link you gave us.

Drag the little orange person on the left hand side of the screen near the other map controls onto the road next to the works.

Drag it over the level crossing and turn to face the works.

You will see the loco further down the track facing you

post-7026-127152980204_thumb.jpg

Zoom in a bit more

post-7026-127152980432_thumb.jpg

Great eh? Lol

I found a picture of a Blue Circle 14 a while back, luckily bookmarked it.

http://dave-higson.f.../p34312894.html

Don't know if the Hattons one will be exactly like this but only one I could find.

Edit: Looking at Hattons CAD image looks the same http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=33110

Cheers.

Garry

Thanks, Garry. That photo answers my question about the headcode, also. Leaving it to rot was obviously the preferred option. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just dug out my Heljan class 14 for another look at the poor slow running. I loosened the screws on the bottom keep plate, as has been suggested by several sources, and miraculously it started to run ok.:)

I dug mine out last night to chip it. It ran well out of the box but had a click which proved to be a stray bit of plastic on the back of one of the wheels making the wheel wiper jump. I am unimpressed by the circuit board with its lack of headroom for the chip plug and disturbed by the excessive wire under the hood. And the thermonuclear headcode lighting, oh my! Mine now has black tape over the LEDs. Now to fit Kadee couplers and see how it pulls...

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,

They're well worth it - all the quartering is done for you so it's the easiest conversion you could imagine - not really more complex than a disc-wheeled diesel conversion (just don't accidentally shift the quartering, not that I've learnt the hard way or anything....)

Just picked mine up from my parents house (they're in all day, I never am so much easier to get it posted there) and am very very impressed. It's a very nicely made conversion pack - really looks like a good piece of engineering.

Anyhow, I'll report back once I've converted the loco, but would recommend it based on previous use of Ultrascale bits. I dare say you could do similar things with the Gibson class 14 wheel too (although not sure the axle diameters are right for a completely straightforward drop in), but at £30 I went for the Ultrascales.

Cheers

Al