Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

Brian, some excellent first-hand information and recollections.

. . . . . . . . most articles and books would have you believe that the class had been gone six months earlier.

That is mainly due to the fact that they rely on "official" recorded withdrawal dates.

Just as in the case of most steam locos these were not always observed by the sheds concerned. Even if the loco was placed in storage or in repair for later re-sale that didn't change the official date. So quite often you hear of those personal memories and occasional photos that appear to contradict the withdrawal date. In addition to the basic shed allocation, it should always be remembered that they did not spend all day every day in the vicinity of the shed. This can sometimes, result in a loco being spotted some distance away. I am certain that the Class 14 were no different.

But it is very interesting to hear of their more detailed history and extended use.

If anyone wonders why the 95ers weren't much use in South Wales, have a look at pagr 79 of the recently released 'Looking Back at Western Region Hydraulics' by Strathwood. There's a photo of D9542 in the Rhondda, half-buried under some 16 tonners which had decided they didn't want to stop.

Same reason they didn't last long in the Forest of Dean - lack of power and brake force that is; I don't think one ever actually crashed, but they failed regularly, especially on Fetter Hill (about 1 in 31 gradient IIRC?)...

Funny to see how many of you take an RTR model and reduce it to a 'kit' within 24 hours of opening the box!!!! laugh.gif

Brian, some excellent first-hand information and recollections.

That is mainly due to the fact that they rely on "official" recorded withdrawal dates.

Just as in the case of most steam locos these were not always observed by the sheds concerned. Even if the loco was placed in storage or in repair for later re-sale that didn't change the official date. So quite often you hear of those personal memories and occasional photos that appear to contradict the withdrawal date. In addition to the basic shed allocation, it should always be remembered that they did not spend all day every day in the vicinity of the shed. This can sometimes, result in a loco being spotted some distance away. I am certain that the Class 14 were no different.

But it is very interesting to hear of their more detailed history and extended use.

In many cases, I suspect that the paper withdrawal date was simply for administrative and accounting purposes, and was only approximately related to the real withdrawal date.

Funny to see how many of you take an RTR model and reduce it to a 'kit' within 24 hours of opening the box!!!! laugh.gif

I don't think some wait that long they seem to just peel off the packaging and keep going until there is nothing left to break off. So much for standing back and admiring the efforts of Hejan.

I am waiting for the first one to be resprayed in some dubiously authentic livery and to appear on ebay as "RARE" ... and fully weathered of course :D

With all this publicity, I wonder if Hattons have sold out yet?

I'm also wondering how many have been sold to RMWeb members?

• RMweb Gold

[pedantic whinge mode]

If I'd ordered one, I don't think that I'd see the funny side of that. I've no problem actually rectifying these reported deficiencies, but I really think that a bit more care in the quality control side wouldn't come amiss, to save everyone all these phone calls and e-mails back to Hattons. Surely Hattons themselves would prefer not to have to deal with all these queries from not-quite-satisfied customers?

[/pedantic whinge mode]

Apart from that, still thinking I might get one! :O ;)

[pedantic whinge mode]

Sorry, your Captaincyship, Sir; no offence intended!!

I didn't mean it as a criticism of this model in particular due to it's deficiencies, more as a general observation that it doesn't take some people long to reduce any new model down to it's component parts... after all this needs doing (to some degree) by those who need to fit DCC, doesn't it?

Mine's got it on one side - but not the other, (though the fixing hole for it is there)!

Another e-mail to Hatton's !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Glad to been of help, must admit if mine hadn't been fitted I probably wouldn't of found themwink.gif

Just posted an order for a set of you 95'er transfers so I can get on with my chosen prototype, along with several 2mm sets

Trevor

My class 14 arrived this morning. It does look fantastic, but it doesn't run very well. It lunges forward at low speed like its got a tight spot on the drive gears, or the quartering is out. Not sure whether to send it back or try running it on a rolling road for a few hours in each direction to see if it beds in.:blink:

• RMweb Gold

Try some non-invasive running in - mine improved a lot - but needed a long session on the rolling road and a slight loosening and re-fixing of bottom keeper plate.

I too went through the high/low experience of "it looks great oops it runs badly".

Chris

My class 14 arrived this morning. It does look fantastic, but it doesn't run very well. It lunges forward at low speed like its got a tight spot on the drive gears, or the quartering is out. Not sure whether to send it back or try running it on a rolling road for a few hours in each direction to see if it beds in.:blink:

Yes I am having the same. I read on the instructions with some disappointment 'powerful 3-pole motor' before i fired it up. I am now watching it wobble and grind about on my rolling road. All of my other Heljan engines have 5-pole motors. Hornby use 5-pole and Bachmann usually 3-pole. Slow running doesn't seem likely.

What are others finding? can it be saved or should i send it back to Hattons? Any prospects for re-motoring?

Received mine today.

Good bits - looks like a class 14, some nice detail especially the bonnet handrails and the mesh guards over the jackshafts.

Bad bits - One cab footstep broken off and floating about in the packaging. One resevoir pipe snapped off and MIA.

It's had a stint on the rolling road and is better in one direction than the other (in one direction it has a definite tight spot), but doesn't exhibit any nasty wobbling when driven up and down my 4ft test track.

The quality control regarding the snapped off bits is a bit crap. Anyone have any suggestions regarding decoder choice yet?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, your Captaincyship, Sir; no offence intended!!

I didn't mean it as a criticism of this model in particular due to it's deficiencies, more as a general observation that it doesn't take some people long to reduce any new model down to it's component parts... after all this needs doing (to some degree) by those who need to fit DCC, doesn't it?

Actually, it should be me to apologise now, as I wasn't having a pop at you, F-Unit, rather I was being self-critical of my own indecision (only your quote fitted the bill nicely! :blush:)

I just can't make my mind up - I want one, but I have a real 'thing' about poor quality control as regards R-T-R mechanisms that won't run smoothly, especially after running in.

I could probably live with the relatively minor dimensional things about this model that seem to have cropped up, also fitting new (less obtrusive) pick ups shouldn't be too onerous, less happy with the hole in the buffer beam, but that's fixable, especially if the buffer beam comes off, but having lots of hassle with running as well, I find it a whole big turn-off, I'm afraid...

• RMweb Gold

Well the main issues on mine are glue (or lack of) while removing the cab one horn moulding pinged off and to the floor, once the cab was off one of the cab walls fell foul of a lack of glue, once reassembled and put on the track there was a alarming knock which came from the con rods hitting the steps on one side. Apart from those minor niggles which can be cured with some good glue it is superb, the quietest runner in the fleet and can haul more than I'll ever need.

The remaining jobs to do are to reattach all AWOL parts, attach the extra detail parts, modify the head code lighting by thinned down yellow paint and finally attach a head code. Simples!:lol:

Finally got around to giving mine a run today. Nice smooth runner in both directions, good low speed and I estimate a prototypical top speed(45 seconds to do approx a scale 0.5 mile) Yet to fix the brakes to it yet, probably leave this until after painting the pickups. Next job is to get it chipped.

Hi

My full video will be up on YouTube around midnight I guess, its uploading now.

It deals with fitting the bits including head codes.

The issues of the stuck on cab, rectifying the gap under the cab after.

There is also a test run with various loads.

I am off to bed as am on duty at 03:55 tomorrow, I'll leave it uploading.

Not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs but the content may be of help to some.

Cheers

Mike

Here is the review:

• Like 1

Having examined mine, all the bits are present and correct. I can't say what the running is like as I haven't access to any powered track in any gauge. As a mechanical observation, there is more play in it that any RTR model I've seen. OK so it has a very long wheelbase and will need a bit to get round corners, but what is there seems excessive, although I can't tell until we run it. This isn't much of a problem for me as mine will be regauged to EM (which the wheels look good for without alteration and pulling out on their axles) and the amount of said play drastically reduced. Aesthetically, I'm very impressed. Who's got some spare number transfers? ;)

Adam

Scratch my earlier post. I've decieded to send the loco back to Liverpool. I noticed in addtion to my other observations one of the lifting eyes on the short bonnet was MIA and after some more pottering up and down the test siding I don't think I can live with the running qualities as they are. The lurching is accompanied my a knocking sound which leads me to think something is out of quarter OR awry with the gear train.

• RMweb Gold

Just spoke to SWMBO and my NCB's are waiting at home all wrapped up in string, hope they are ok reading the tales of woe!

Update on the sound scheme, got the startup to idle to running and back again sorted, just need to do the thrash and coast sections plus airhorns etc. Lots more hours tied to the PC methinks ....