The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The "Sadly, I didn't make it to Stafford today" thread

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

With the undoubted appeal of todays "RMWeb Members' Day" having thinned the ranks of people on-line, I thought there might be scope for saying how the rest of us wile away the time instead? No doubt plenty of people have social engagements on the first weekend of July that meant they were unavailable anyway, but those of us a little further afield, or with domestic commitments, might wish to vent their disappointment here.

It's a lovely Summer's day here in la Sarthe, but Deb is a bit unwell next door, and so a degree of TLC is needed from time to time. I hope to get into the railway barn later, with every intention of sorting the lighting board issues in DCC-equipping my Mistral Models analogue SNCF Picasso. I also wish to get some preliminary scenic design work done around my latest pride-and-joy - a pub scratchbuilt by an RMWebber in Switzerland - which will be the centrepiece by my level xing, and needs to have a suitably decent setting to maximise its considerable appeal. The prototype level xing was hand-worked, and so will mine be! However, the same chap has now volunteered to build me a signalbox, and is drawing plans from photos etc. Very motivating!

Anyone else got any items on today's agenda?

Pop out to the model shop (I think my Hornby KFAs are in!)

I've a second IHB SW1500 just arrived from Model Junction as well, that needs a quick test run and then decoder install.

Slightly annoyingly whilst the first run had (correctly) plated over windows in various locations this one doesn't, and all the photo's I can find suggest it should have....so out with the black paint then.

Looks to have silver window surrounds as well - oooer!

I need to check the back-2-backs on it's partner as well as it was tripping the DCC bus occasionally at TVNAM.

Work today , i will be carrying out an A check on a BA Embraer 170 at a very hot London city airport ramp with 6 of my colleagues, will try and make the Basildon show tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately no chance of modelling this weekend.

Regards

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing too exotic for me I'm afraid. Now on my second day in hospital with an infection in my left leg. Peaceful and resting, but not where I want to be....

That's horrid. Hope they let you get home soon!

Also not able to be at Stafford ;)

Sat here in the office looking out over the trees thinking what alovley day it is and I'm stuck in here. The worst part is that I'm off tomorrow, so I think I'll put some track down on the base board instead.

Off to view some houses in an hour. The fiancée has foolishly left the decision entirely up to me - does she not realise I'm just going to take the one with the largest spare bedroom?

Sorry to hear about your leg Gordon, hope your mended and back home soon. I'm spending the morning working on the 37 bogies and drawing some buffers, before our friends arrive this afternoon.

I'm actually a bit pee'd off because I'm driving to Hollyhead on Wednesday to get the ferry to Dublin. If only the job had been brought forward a few days, I could have dropped in en-route, and it wouldn't have cost a penny. Driving 400 miles to Stafford and back just isn't cost effective when you're on your own. No-one else was available to come with me and share the cost of fuel.:cry:

Nothing too exotic for me I'm afraid. Now on my second day in hospital with an infection in my left leg. Peaceful and resting, but not where I want to be....

I hope that leg clears up soon. I know how it feels to be in hospital with an infected leg - I did a five day stint about two years ago with septic arthritis in my left knee.

Get those antibiotics flowing and get well soon.

• RMweb Gold

I'm actually a bit pee'd off because I'm driving to Hollyhead on Wednesday to get the ferry to Dublin. If only the job had been brought forward a few days, I could have dropped in en-route, and it wouldn't have cost a penny. Driving 400 miles to Stafford and back just isn't cost effective when you're on your own. No-one else was available to come with me and share the cost of fuel.:cry:

What about posting something in the future about a lift share? I can't make Stafford today anyway but in the future it wouldn't be impossible to put a route together for pick ups and car share, lets face it fuels not going to get cheaper.

Just a thought.

Off to view some houses in an hour. The fiancée has foolishly left the decision entirely up to me - does she not realise I'm just going to take the one with the largest spare bedroom?

Desparete to start a (big) family then are you? which may of course later help justify a train set :rolleyes:

Today, well apart from the distance to Stafford - 600 mile round trip, 20 galls of fuel and on the A30/M5/M6...

I have a couple of holiday let changeovers (no, I don't own them, cleaning's part of the unplanned pension plan).

I've been asked to design and print off a 100 numbered tickets for a Cheese & Wine party ASAP, and the posters.....

There's been a couple of emails re. next weekends Austin 7 (1923 - 1939) rally in the village that needs a bit of sorting....

The B&B's going mad - nice weather = coast path walkers = last minute long term plans...... :angry:

And the sun is shining, The dogs (Lab/Collie crosses) want out, yet it's to hot for them - apart from the pond!

Oh! and a child seems to have found some exposed wires to a 240V cable for the lights around the harbour - think Carnival, not Christmas lights ( http://www.mouseholelights.org.uk/ ), as I'm the everyday Christmas Harbour Lights electrician, another little job to sort....... :(

Wouldn't it be nice to be in Stafford to collect my raffle prize!!! :yahoo:

Guest Max Stafford

I'd have liked to go but I'm back at work on Monday after two weeks off which just kills the mood a bit. I'm walking the dog now in the woods but after this I'm taking a run up to Whitrope to ease the sense of impending doom!

:rolleyes_mini:

Dave.

Hopeful of a Waverlite presence, I'm now into a day of care-related activity that I would never begrudge any family member, so if I don't get there I wish today's participants all the very best drinks.gif

• RMweb Premium

Been to the Basildon show already, see thread. VHF NFD amateur radio contest later, and a visit from my daughter and son-in-law over from Germany for a wedding yesterday, stopping the night on their way back to Stansted. May fit in a little modelling before all that starts.

Rob

Would have loved to get to Stafford, but the RAF decided that I would much rather sit in a desert for two months! :help:

Oh well plenty of time to get the layout plans finalised whilst I top up the tan, oh and occasionally fix a Herc or two if the mood takes me, and it doesn't cut into my anyrail time too much!

:drinks:

Matt

• RMweb Premium

Rather too far away, at around 12500 miles each way, to make the trip. Instead spent the first part of the morning attending to a weekend engineering possession (the layout requires a double-track junction and around 4 yards of plain track replaced) followed by falling victim to another weekend engineering possession and having to drive for 2 hours to Ballarat for lunch with friends because the 1:1 railway is being dug up.

Was all set for a nice relaxing weekend polishing the motors, opening a nice bottle of plonk and going to a Mini show at Gaydon tomorrow, but a pointless row with the missus about a house we can't afford has put the mockers on any good vibes permiating chez Nidge for a day or two!

;)

Would love to go, But its a bit too far living in the sarf,. Was at an Exhibition last week, and next week too, so have to be fair on her indoors. Perhaps if its a great success, which i'm sure it will be, the show could be turned into a roadshow...Better not let Andy see this post :laugh:

About 4,200 miles for me but I really wanted to go; my timing was out.......plus I've got 5 Italians and 7 Americans coming over for July 4th and my Wife would've killed me.................

Best, Pete.