Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

The Hobby Shop at Faversham is a Hornby retailer - they own their stock, and the items quoted have probably come from clearance from the manufacturers.

Hawkin's Bazaar are a concession, the stock is not owned by them, it is owned by Hornby and paid for on sale. It should not be Hawkin's decision to clear out stock that someone else owns.

The Hobby Shop at Faversham is a Hornby retailer - they own their stock, and the items quoted have probably come from clearance from the manufacturers.

Hawkin's Bazaar are a concession, the stock is not owned by them, it is owned by Hornby and paid for on sale. It should not be Hawkin's decision to clear out stock that someone else owns.

Why does it matter how they get rid of old stock? I've seen retailers sling stock worth much more than these trains straight in to Biffa bins and write it off as a loss. Making sure they are unsellable first.

Hornby probably don't want them back. In fact they are selling off their own stock to get rid of it.

Jason

Invicta have some good bargains at the moment, including the Bachmann NSE translator coach pack and the Bachmann Royal Mail NEA coach pack- both for £29.99. http://www.invictamodelrail.com/oo-gauge-bargains-127-c.asp

I've just bought the NEA coach pack, almost a shame I paid full whack for the translator pack when it came out! (No connection, etc.)

• RMweb Gold

Hawkins have updated the web site with out of stock on nearly everything - the one quality item of rolling stock available is  R4684 Collett corridor 3rd class  BR crimson & cream @ £19.99

http://www.hawkin.com/model-shop/Hornby/Hornby-r4684-br-collett-coach-corridor-3rd-crimson-and-cream

Dam, If only they had a way I could revise my order to up the order quantity...

Must resist...

• RMweb Gold

Invicta have some good bargains at the moment, including the Bachmann NSE translator coach pack and the Bachmann Royal Mail NEA coach pack- both for £29.99. http://www.invictamodelrail.com/oo-gauge-bargains-127-c.asp

I've just bought the NEA coach pack, almost a shame I paid full whack for the translator pack when it came out! (No connection, etc.)

Thanks very much for this.

I was most miffed when i heard they were this price at Warley as i couldnt get there. Just grabbed a Post Office pack. :-)

Cheers.

Garry

• RMweb Gold

Rails today have a home page which invites you to click on their 'January Sale' page (which I think you can buy now). 

For the items that might interest me, all the prices seem to be exactly the same as they were for the last couple of weeks.

I was in one of our local ASDA stores yesterday evening, and noticed that they were selling off  Hornby Country to Coast sets at £50. Apparently reduced from £144.  Marked as an ASDA exclusive deal.

Only three left on the shelf, it seemed good value but I did resist.  Having second thoughts now though! 

Shown as £60 reduced from £120 on their website, but out of stock.

• RMweb Premium

Hawkins have updated the web site with out of stock on nearly everything - the one quality item of rolling stock available is  R4684 Collett corridor 3rd class  BR crimson & cream @ £19.99

http://www.hawkin.com/model-shop/Hornby/Hornby-r4684-br-collett-coach-corridor-3rd-crimson-and-cream

I would guess that the sale was more of a "eye-catcher" than anything else with very low numbers of most items with big reductions.

I gets you to browse their stock list.

Just like the department store sales of years ago with huge reductions and just a limited number of items available (e.g 50" TV reduced from £700 to £150 -first 5 customers etc.) just to get publicity and get you in the store

Many of the items appeared to be current and not end of line as some have suggested.

Just my opinion!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't spot the NEA pack when I was at Warley but it had been on my radar for a while. Also added a few of the Bachmann Thrall BRA Steel Strip Carriers in DB Schenker livery. At £25.50 these are the cheapest I've seen these.

I would guess that the sale was more of a "eye-catcher" than anything else with very low numbers of most items with big reductions.

I gets you to browse their stock list.

Just like the department store sales of years ago with huge reductions and just a limited number of items available (e.g 50" TV reduced from £700 to £150 -first 5 customers etc.) just to get publicity and get you in the store

Many of the items appeared to be current and not end of line as some have suggested.

Just my opinion!

Keith

Agreed and no doubt their concession take on stock already sold covered any losses that they may incur on this. Noticed that they have trimmed the pages down to whats left, still the Collett coach, Railroad items (inc Tornado), a Skaledale Pine Shop, older accessories and track

I dont think that was the case at all. Myself and several guys on Hornby forum, got everything they ordered. It was purely down to  first come , first served. There are still 3 pages of reductions. Sounds a bit like sour grapes. We were very happy. john

• RMweb Premium

I dont think that was the case at all. Myself and several guys on Hornby forum, got everything they ordered. It was purely down to  first come , first served. There are still 3 pages of reductions. Sounds a bit like sour grapes. We were very happy. john

:offtopic:

Definitely not, it was purely an observation.

I wasn't looking to buy anything, otherwise I would have jumped in when I could!

IMHO as it's a retailer with a lot of branches and an online presence, if it wasn't anything other than a flash sale to attract attention the "goodies" would have lasted longer (and probably have been at less discount).

There aren't that many people around buying model railways!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

, this, as it was last year, is a one off.

To what purpose for Hornby? This is concession stock, after all.

Gresley Teak Suburbans (B issue) showing as "new" and full price on Hornby's site being sold off at half price to reduce stocks?

Very strange if it's true. I could understand it if stocks of the "C issue" had arrived and they wanted to shift the "Bs"

Keith

Tis interesting. Can only think its all part of hornbys massive in house publicised  stock reduction.  I  dont pry into the why s  just accept its my gain. After all, unless you are a thomas fan, there is nothing in Hornbys xmas sale worth having. This sale, was a lot better. john

Archived