Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Non-railway modelling

Just now, Ian Smeeton said:

Slightly off the wall, this one.

I was surprised earlier today, when my wife mentioned having seen a ship model partwork, and that she fancied a go!!!

This has come about through her being dragged to the Riverside Museum in Glasgow, and seeing some of the ship models on display.

Now knowing from old that these partworks are a (very) expensive way of getting a model, I wondered if anyone  had any recommendations for a model ship kit.

Not having seen the advert, I have no idea what the model was.

I have had a quick look on a couple of sites, but not sure what would interest her.

I suspect something to a reasonably large scale, civilian rather than military, otherwise, I am open to suggestions, bearing in mind that she is an absolute beginner.

Regards

Ian

It's a museum quality model of the Titanic with moving engines, sound and lighting. 140 parts, £2000 total outlay. It is nice and big though. 

• Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, 33C said:

It's a museum quality model of the Titanic with moving engines, sound and lighting. 140 parts, £2000 total outlay. It is nice and big though. 

Well, that would certainly keep her quiet.

Me too as my gob is duly smacked and my gast is flabbered.

I love her, but not that much!!

I am still open to suggestions

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Slightly off the wall, this one.

I was surprised earlier today, when my wife mentioned having seen a ship model partwork, and that she fancied a go!!!

This has come about through her being dragged to the Riverside Museum in Glasgow, and seeing some of the ship models on display.

Now knowing from old that these partworks are a (very) expensive way of getting a model, I wondered if anyone  had any recommendations for a model ship kit.

Not having seen the advert, I have no idea what the model was.

I have had a quick look on a couple of sites, but not sure what would interest her.

I suspect something to a reasonably large scale, civilian rather than military, otherwise, I am open to suggestions, bearing in mind that she is an absolute beginner.

Regards

Ian

Try e-bay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=wooden+model+ship+kits&_sacat=0

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 33C said:

I would try an "Airfix vintage classic" ship, an "HMS Victory" perhaps? Relatively easy but challenging enough! And quite cheap... 

I am thinking along these lines.

There is a toyfair at Newark Showground tomorrow.

I fancy an outing seeing as I can't celebrate tonight. (04.15 alarm call in the morning).

Thanks for the assistance.

Regards & Happy New Year

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, 33C said:

It might be that, or it might be £1500 spent on worthless and barely reusable materials when the publication goes bust three-quarters of the way through.  There are precedents for this; I would recommend everyone steer well clear of these sort of publications.  £2000 buys you a lot of model kits that you stand a better chance of completing.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

50 minutes ago, 33C said:

Re. Victory. She could maybe make "real" sails as well ....

Making sure the hull is watertight and ballasted and you could take it for a sail..........now I'm giving myself ideas! As an aside, Lidl had Revell snap together models in the middle aisle today including the "Black Pearl" galleon @ £14.99. :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Once again my modelling this year has been much less than I wanted, with quite a few more projects started but far too few completed.  However, I did (tonight!) manage to finish off - as far as I can be bothered - two more of my childhood aircraft; the Hurricane was built for me by my Dad when I was about 7, I think the Stuka may have been my first attempt.  Still some bits missing, they are probably around somewhere, but I'm going to put them on the shelf in the loft within the next hour, to go with the Tempest and Sea Harrier completed in the summer.  There was also a batch of Hornby Brake Vans, but that's not Non-Railway Modelling....

IMG_7813.JPG.f7ef647037c8c8ad913916d9e3e078e1.JPG

Wishing you all a Happy New Year and let's hope 2022 is better than '21.

Edited by Northmoor
re-installed photo
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My dad was an aircraft fitter for BAF and must have been a modeller because I remember him making the Airfix Corsair A7, Heinkel HE lll, BAC Jaguar, B29 Superfortress and the Revell Sikorsky H19. as if it were yesterday. Before he left us he gave me his 1/24 Airfix Spitfire to finish. The engine had been started but the under-wing part was badly warped. Took me 4 years to finish it, up to age 10. I now have them all again in original condition boxes to bring those good times back. Got an original Airfix Carvair and some after-market BAF transfers to remember the days we would spend at the airport, keeping them in the air. Good Times. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just went to Lidl and bought the Revell "Black Pearl', reduced to £9.99! They have tractors, cars etc for the same money also large Revell Titanic presentation sets for £14.99! Ice in the freezer isle......:D:good::yahoo:

• Like 3

Found this in a box in the garage. It was cobbled together from spare parts at least 50 years ago. I’m now in the process of a rebuild back to its original form, without any updating.

steve

A2A229DB-947D-4A55-9421-B590F1A74D2D.jpeg

• Like 8

Following on from my last post - the 1/24 bus fleet is still growing.

Another Revell Routemaster, this time dressed in a later livery.  I managed to get the cab on this one to sit better, but the canopy sticks out  as a result!! It's not the kit - it's me. A combination of glue/paint creep.

Looking at the photo the grey is too dark so will need re-doing, I also need to make some correct period mirrors. 

952264405_124models1.JPG.477f1aed5983c6d0385a4b3e8fd8e215.JPG

The next project......

1814270916_124models2.JPG.5d4628c6467910b1a2ec3257255a3914.JPG

This could take some time!

Les

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of a find at the bootsale this week. All new/unmade apart from the "New Jersey" but, started well, came with a boxed, R127 Triang-Hornby crane (not pictured) and 4 Thomas four wheel coaches and clockwork Thomas and Toby, all for £30! USS Hornet will probably be made first, being the smaller scale.......

20220123_235424.jpg

20220129_220108.jpg

Edited by 33C
added photo.
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 14:23, Rugd1022 said:

The patience, skill and enginuity of this chap is amazing - here he builds and fully details a Tamiya 1/24th Mini Cooper complete with opening doors, sliding windows and bootlid....

I'm part way through his playlist of Mini videos, truly inspiring! Glad I'm not the only one to have stumbled across them.

Jo

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2022 at 14:23, Rugd1022 said:

The patience, skill and enginuity of this chap is amazing - here he builds and fully details a Tamiya 1/24th Mini Cooper complete with opening doors, sliding windows and bootlid....

12 hours ago, Steadfast said:

I'm part way through his playlist of Mini videos, truly inspiring! Glad I'm not the only one to have stumbled across them.

Jo

I only wish I had time to watch them all.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 19:23, steve1 said:

Found this in a box in the garage. It was cobbled together from spare parts at least 50 years ago. I’m now in the process of a rebuild back to its original form, without any updating.

steve

A2A229DB-947D-4A55-9421-B590F1A74D2D.jpeg

It's like Bitchin' Rides in miniature. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Just finished this RAF Valley Hawk in 1/72 scale.

Matt

Lovely - is that from the Revell or Airfix kit (I've got the Red Arrow "Starter" kit in my to-do pile, it was in a shop sale for a fiver)?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm steering clear of one of my regularly-viewed threads at the moment, after an outbreak of particularly mean-spirited comments aimed at one particular modeller whose contributions they didn't seem to approve of.  Meanwhile over here, no-one seems to object to my Level 1 model aircraft efforts!  Here's my two latest "completed" projects:

IMG_0203.JPG.9ffb528ebc14125d1584d0dea4e64590.JPG

I can take no credit for the Lysander; it was one of two or three aircraft left behind at my parents' house when they moved in nearly 25 years ago.  It had just sat in a box in my loft since then; I have only done some very minor repairs and painted the props.  I think it should be black anyway.

The Lancaster is one of my very earliest kits, assembled with the usual haste and has the obligatory 10y.o's glue fingerprints on the canopies!  It was never painted but I enjoyed spraying this one with rattle can satin black and doing the camo on the tops.  I think the brown is slightly too light, but the bigger issue sadly is the lack of roundels.  The original decals looked like they might have got wet or overheated, but after dipping in warm water they basically dissolved.....  As this is a Novo 1/96 scale kit, getting any aftermarket decals is likely to be near impossible and for the price of the kit it's really not worth bothering.  There are actually moulded lines to show the roundels' position on the top of the wings, so could paint some on later if I get the urge.

Onward.... the Scout still needs some undercarriage building but the Lynx is missing quite a lot of parts; I must have them somewhere!  There are a couple of part-built car kits that are tempting me, as a break from aircraft.  How can having so much enjoyment come from an activity that costs so little?

Edited by Northmoor
re-installed photo
  • Like 6