Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

I've built up the High Level drive unit etch for the Harton 0-4-0 No2/10. It went together easily and fits perfectly, I didn't have the small Mashima Chris would normally supply with this so fitted one of the cheap (99p) Chinese motors off Ebay. This is the one that comes with a brass worm fitted but once removed the High Level worm fits on the shaft.

attachicon.gifWP_20170525_10_18_17_Pro.jpg

The motor does match the fixing holes in the gearbox but this leaves it tilted to one side and in this position it won't fit in the loco body. Just to get it working quickly I soldered the motor casing to the gearbox. Wheels are Gibson 8 spoke Lowmac, pickups are p/b wire on small pieces of pcb on the outside of the inner frames, I don't really like pickups on the wheel treads but this is the easiest option here.

attachicon.gifWP_20170525_10_18_28_Pro.jpg

Viewed from one end, the motor drives directly on one (fixed) axle.

attachicon.gifWP_20170525_10_18_45_Pro.jpg

The other axle is held in our usual swinging arms, driven by a chain of gears down one side. The axle rocks under a knife edge rigged up from the end spacer. The etch has provision for a central spacer but the HL drive unit fouls this. Running is just about perfect as usual and the motor is almost silent. It doesn't run very fast but it isn't supposed to - in marked contrast to the Tenshodo bogie fitted in the past.

Once Chris has got this in production we'll offer it as an alternative, rather than selling the kit complete as we have done with the small Rustons.

Chris here - I'm just making a film tool for the production version of this, which is pretty identical to this one as Mike had no issues with it. It'll be a couple of quid cheaper than the other Quads as it has one gear less. They should be ready in about 3 weeks as I have to do instructions for them...

Chris here - I'm just making a film tool for the production version of this, which is pretty identical to this one as Mike had no issues with it. It'll be a couple of quid cheaper than the other Quads as it has one gear less. They should be ready in about 3 weeks as I have to do instructions for them...

Will you be making the chassis kit available to those of us who bought the Harton and a Tenshodo earlier? I for one would certainly buy one.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi

Any further news on this?

Cheers

Paul

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We will have some of the High Level drive units for Harton No2/No10 at Expo EM North next month.

In response to some queries we have a few sets "Yorkshire" and BTH plates for the rtr Janus (plenty of Yorkshire plates but not many BTH), etched in .010" n/s - £5 each including postage. When I've had a good look at one of these we may have other parts for modifying/detailing them.

Another kit in the pipeline is the BR (Horwich) version of the LMS Kitson 0-4-0ST, I've had the etched parts to do this since we first released the Kitson but I've just got round to building one for a customer.

post-1643-0-12592400-1503318358_thumb.jpg

Finished model next to the original, it's a very different looking loco. The principal idea seems to have been to greatly increase the bunker capacity which necessitated the shorter tank, to keep the water capacity the tank is considerably fatter. The cab back and steps are different, also the leading buffer beam is much heavier - presumably to improve the balance. The bigger bunker does make it much easier to hide the gearbox, a High Level roadrunner+ with the motor in the boiler. Originally I thought it might be possible to supply one kit to build either version but there were too few parts in common, hence the delay.

post-1643-0-81305800-1503318469_thumb.jpg

Loco in its component parts, all these bolt together as usual.

post-1643-0-49525500-1503318503_thumb.jpg

View from underneath, Gibson wheels to 00 gauge in this one but there is plenty of clearance for wider gauges.

post-1643-0-87712900-1503318530_thumb.jpg

Boiler/cab unit from below

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The Sentinel is waiting for a second test etch to get the casing folds right, HW 0-6-0 is nearly finished but waiting for the moulding of the big ugly box fitted on top when it went back to Ireland. I think it was already way out in front in the ugly stakes before this was fitted though.

More on the Fell soon.....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some photos of recent progress, the test etch Fell is nearly finished It will a fairly expensive and horribly complicated kit to build - you have been warned!

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!

Another one for the roundtuit pile.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...