It's all Coachman's fault

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon.

In case anyone is sorting through their 'stuff in the cupboard/loft/garage/drawers' as winter draws nearer I am posting this as a form of encouragement. for when they find their 'collection' of coach kits ready to be done 'sometime'.

Step one: dig kit out of storage area.

Step two: open box and look at contents, make some appropriate uuuummmming sounds.

Step three: place contents on bench and go and have a cup of tea.

Step four: decide that you are going to build this coach bought when Cliff Richard was a lot younger (except for Bullion van of course which is a 'young' product from Comet Models).

Step five: repeat final part of step three.

Step six: put all parts back in box except for the side and end etchings;

and so on .......and on...... and on......... :angel:

There follows some pics of some of the results of me doing the above;(not always my kits I hasten to add).

post-2326-0-62602100-1319900545_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-46377200-1319901478.jpg

post-2326-0-37320800-1319901510.jpg

post-2326-0-94710500-1319901540.jpg

post-2326-0-43532700-1319903744.jpg

post-2326-0-46075900-1319900637.jpg

post-2326-0-08559800-1319900594.jpg

post-2326-0-20622300-1319901685.jpg

post-2326-0-78422600-1319901739.jpg

post-2326-0-71537000-1319901777.jpg

post-2326-0-24783500-1319901918.jpg

post-2326-0-03037800-1319903587.jpg

However, apart from a LNER Horsebox from Parkside,

post-2326-0-91748000-1319903870.jpg

I've yet to paint anything. So may the mighty influence of Coachman be transferred to 36E A.S.A.P

SO, go on, you know you need to & have fun during the shorter days/longer nights to come.

Also have some fun identifying the Diagrams of these unliveried efforts.

Sincerely,

P @ 36E Thanks to Comet Models, NE Design (Fozzard) and '5522'.

• RMweb Gold

It certainly is Phil ! Theres a mixture there isn't there ? I'm sure there will be temptation when visiting the Comet stand at Warley next month.I haven't got any unmade coach kits myself. :no:

Guest Max Stafford

Phil. You appear to have adopted a similar construction strategy to myself! However, where you've successfully maximised Stage four, I can see that there's not a duffer among them - all lovely!

Hope my production is similar when I finally get going with it!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Appreciate the comments chaps, however it takes me bl**dy ages to do a coach just to the stage where all is required is painting and glazing. Coach can do a kit and paint it and Blog it, having started after me, whilst I'm still on stage three!!!!!

Only boast I can give is that the above is only about half I've done in about 18 months.

I have actually got some of my own efforts to the priming stage (they are in the pending box in the loft) and I had tried the top coat on the Bullion Van, but that went horribly wrong due to my mishandling of the Halfords' 'maroon'. That's on the wait till I have recovered shelf in the workshop cupboard.

I'm just not a 'completer/finisher' (in management speak).

P

and an unknown LMS kit manufacturer (Mr. Pulham would remember the maker).

That would be 5522 (Alistair Wright) Phil, and a cracking job you have made of it too! (and all the rest). i look forward to seeing them painted.

I particularly like the NE Design coach. I have been eying up the 7mm ones he does Hmm.....

You are not on your own with the unpainted stock collection Phil, I have a loco and more than a dozen wagons to paint but I am getting nearer by the day to having the spray booth set up. :O

Yes, that horrible Coachman person has a lot to answer for!! ;)

Some lovely work there Mallard. You are way ahead of my skills with brass kits. Don't feel too badly about the queue; I have kits still awaiting finishing that I started over 25 years ago, while a few others have been started and finished in a fraction of that time.

Looking at that horse box, I would say that all of your efforts will look superb when you do get around to painting them. You might even surpass Larry's models ... just not as quickly!

Sorry Larry - no insult intended. Yours are the standards by which we judge everyone else's efforts. :)

• RMweb Premium

Again thanks lads. I really quite enjoy the soldering bits but there are some things in kits other than Comet and Fozzard that drive me bonkers.

Coach, I tend to use MJT LNER Sprung for the Suburban LNER stuff (understandably and Fozzy recommends those anyway) and MJT GWR Sprung for the GWR stuff (for one recipient in Cornwall). However, as you know, buffers can also be a detailing nightmare and so many kits I've started for other folk do not get the buffers fitted (as you can see) 'cause they are going to source those (and often the gangways) to their requirements; e.g the LMS Kitchen Car for a certain layout near Didcot.

Thanks Rob P. That LMS coach is the only one I've done and it became (as you may remember) a bit of a hybrid (Comet bogies).

By the way Rob, those Kemilway LNER big bu***rs you kindly sent my way are still in their wrapping in the loft!! That's a winter job for sure and I think I might be replacing the roof sections?

Coach, have you ever built a Kemilway LNER Gresley main line coach?

ATB P @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

Again thanks lads. I really quite enjoy the soldering bits but there are some things in kits other than Comet and Fozzard that drive me bonkers.

Coach, I tend to use MJT LNER Sprung for the Suburban LNER stuff (understandably and Fozzy recommends those anyway) and MJT GWR Sprung for the GWR stuff (for one recipient in Cornwall).

Are the MJT ones for GWR worth the extra effort as I've never tried them Phil.I assume its the MJT 2330S your on about and the ones fitted to your H4O shown.

• RMweb Premium

Rugd22, yes it's a Parkside and Coachman has done a better job than me on one of these elsewhere on this Forum (somewhere within his Coaches/LNER thread?); I think some other folk posted pics of theirs too during that section. I had fitted the brake gear incorrectly and someone spotted it which was of great help as I know B all about that sort of thing. Thoroughly recommended kit though, as most Parksides; there is something rather compelling about them!

gwrrob, correct buffers. Personally I think the Comet GWR buffers are a very good casting & look good, but I've not fitted them. I should think the MJTs are worth it if you have tight curves as they really work!! Your coaches look great and so the Comet buffers must look OK once fitted/painted! Maybe give some MJTs a try on your next kit or replace a set on an existing coach?

Coach, cheers. I though I had seen something about these somewhere as it is the roof ends that are such a faff and that rang a bell. Thanks for ref. to your posting; much appreciated. I've really enjoyed scrolling through that section again. It has inspired me further to get hacking at some old Hornby bodies; got to start this RTR conversion somewhere.

I'm putting up a few more pics for interest. I can never remember if the Pig van is D120 or 127 - sorry!

Isinglass 'Pigeon Van'

post-2326-0-01886800-1319991920.jpg

Comet/ Chivers 'hybrid 'Pigeon van; Chivers kit with Comet's sides overlaid rather than fitted 'correctly' (Used the Chivers' Roof later). I used the Comet ends overlaid too. It looks a bit crude in this pic but I have got this van on my layout (EM) and it's painted and it actually looks OK. It has a MJT ducket. Should have used one on the Isinglass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-2326-0-15727800-1319992499.jpg

Isinglass D86 van

post-2326-0-63268000-1319992626.jpg

Comet Gresley D49/50 with turnbuckle under-frame specially supplied in the kit as an alternative by Geoff at Comet. I've not tried the MJT turnbuckle on a Comet frame.

post-2326-0-19779000-1319992692.jpg

When I was going through an LNER batch of suburbans (pre Hornby announcement of course), Coach, Mike Trice et.al. gave me inspiration to play with MJT and 247 Developments' bogies with footsteps as alternatives to Comet ; thanks chaps.

The Isinglass kits are lovely builds but with some very delicate parts and a couple of sections that one needs to adapt for a satisfactory fit. The D86 van really makes up into a super model.

p

Splendid stuff....

As least one ahs build some coaches - I just to have bought a lot and researched them !

Nice to see a load of Thompsons and the Isinglass ones look very tasty.

But has anyone seen what Mr Fozard is upto now?

A clue - Duckinfield!

Dribble.....................................

Some lovely workmanship there my friend,on a par with the "Coachman" and there can be no better comment from me than that, in my book he is the BEST. You just need to equal his painting skills. Not to hard for a man of your talent I pressume. :no: :no:

Kind Regards,Del. :jester:

Hello Mallard, lt is the finished job that count's, no matter how long it take's, 6 day's, month's or year's, as long as you have enjoyed the build ? and by the look of your work so far, you have no worrie's, they look great, and so clean too, well done.......................

• RMweb Premium

Yes georgeT, absolutely. You may have guessed that the 'clean' look is just procrastination and an avoidance tactic due to lack of painting ability.

Del, such kind words - many thanks. I'm going to spend some time this week looking through the Coach threads. I may then have gained enough inspiration and information to drag out some almost finished stuff and fire up the Air Brush (aaarrrggghhhhh).

If I just can't overcome the 'fear', I'll have a word with Phil @ Hobby Holidays and see if I can scrounge some time in his paint booth room. Nothing like having someone around to keep one's mind on the job so to speak :declare:

P

That panelled coach just above the bullion van is very nice, Phil. I assume it's LMS as I don't recognise it.

I brushpaint almost eveything I build - aerosols where I need to and for a lot of it (LNER teak and scruffy Stratford brown) you're better off with a brush. If you use a good quality brush and don't get too many bristle marks in it a few light coats of aerosol varnish will give you as good a finish. Not in the LG class but very much good enough to live with.

• RMweb Premium

That panelled coach just above the bullion van is very nice, Phil. I assume it's LMS as I don't recognise it.

I brushpaint almost eveything I build - aerosols where I need to and for a lot of it (LNER teak and scruffy Stratford brown) you're better off with a brush. If you use a good quality brush and don't get too many bristle marks in it a few light coats of aerosol varnish will give you as good a finish. Not in the LG class but very much good enough to live with.

Hi JW. Have not tried brush painting for ages; might give it a go after your comments and having seen your stuff (very nice indeed) actually finished and on here/on a layout - thanks. What paint(s) do you use?

The coach body shell and underframe are for a Comet LMS D1705 Sleeper 1st (bit more info in one of my Blogs). I forgot to take a 'finished' pic and it is now packed but I am having to build another identical vehicle so I'll try to get some better stage build pics this time round.

P

While I wouldn't presume to claim any expertise (especially in the august company of Coachmann, who is an acknowledged expert in every sense), I have had good results from using the car aerosols, starting with grey, white or red oxide primer as appropriate, then using colours approximating the final requirement (we have more difficulty matching British colours here in Australia as our car ranges are different).

Only then do I use brush painting of commercially available railway colours over the top of the sprayed coats, using very thin coats to preserve the finish.

• RMweb Premium

SR man - think your climate might help with the painting (well the drying anyway).

I've got to practise with the old Halfords' stuff.

Here is my latest effort, a LMS D1857 Restaurant Coach. I think only two were built to this Diagram?

post-2326-0-29191200-1320229490.jpg

It is almost finished to the stage required; bogie springs to fit (don't like doing these :beee: )

If you want to see what this will look like once the new owner has painted it (maybe?) seek out Coachman's most beautiful 6 wheel bogie D1811 (I think) in his coach thread. This is a Fozzard design I believe and Coach has made a magnificent job of it.

P

..... however it takes me bl**dy ages to do a coach just to the stage where all is required is painting and glazing. .....

I think this is true for the majority of us, I know completing a coach takes a lot longer than a loco,

yet at exhibitions etc., they notice a loco, the rake just drifts by.

Paul Jones did say of my rake of 15 etched kit Horse Boxes in a train ".. that's a LOT of patience and work there passing by....",

I felt chuffed (and obviously still do).

Archived