London Bridge re-development

But you can't be too surprised surely? After all, the railways provide a service to their customers. And went that service goes awry so frequently, the customers will moan.

Lol. Memories. I well remember the moaning and barbed comments on arrival at London Bridge and Victoria each morning. Even when we were on time! I used to shut the little sliding cab window on my 8 or 12VEP or feign deafness... People moan... always have, always will. About everything. I've heard all the railway-related ones as a driver and it's water off a duck's back. I don't recall ever getting bothered by it. And so I'm not accused of bias, it's true that a hell of a lot of moaning came from within the industry...

• RMweb Premium

But you can't be too surprised surely? After all, the railways provide a service to their customers. And went that service goes awry so frequently, the customers will moan. And being" captive" users just makes it worse; we just have to put up and shut up.

Presumably you have never slagged off a service provider, for example, a bank, and referred to them by a derogatory name (my Mrs refers to Shatwest)? Because if you have, then you'll be in a similar position to those of us not in the rail industry.

Personally I've never referred to Notwork fail or anything else like it (or joined in with Shatwest); but I understand where it comes from.

I never said I was suprised it happens - as you say its a natural reaction when things go wrong. As others have said the same occurs in many other industries, banking being an obvious one where it doesn't take much for the public to label all bankers as greedy self centred types when most banking staff people interact with at branch level are anything but. Again between themselves they probably can be quite critical - but don't like it when the insuls come from the public.

• RMweb Gold

Oh yeah, right. I forgot how much we used to laugh about that when we were out in pouring rain or falling snow, at the tail end of a 15 hour stint, trying to get things running again, or trying to help passengers. Just like when we were called British Snail or Failtrack. Really appreciated that guys. How many on this forum actually do understand how railways work? Clearly you and a number of other well-informed or industry/ex-industry do, but I am afraid the cynical joshing amongst that inner circle spreads easily to those who don't, and to their friends, family and acquaintances. And we wonder why people who haven't been on a train for years think railways are still basically rubbish run by morons who couldn't get a real job?

Humour by-pass over......

Telling tales out of skool is bad form, but I intend to do just that, in the hope that it will put a little perspective on Mike's frustration here. Very early in his career he was daily in the hot seat at a major City terminus, announcing trains and apologising when things went awry. Off his own bat, he chose to add a slightly less starchy approach to his spiel - and this was quickly noticed by the regulars, such that his fame spread even as far as the Peterborough column of the Daily Telegraph. I submit that going a little further for the customer has always been his intention.

I have been retired for 10 years, and the modern railway is a strange and unfamiliar place - but I know how easy it is for things to rapidly snowball in the area in question. After all, from 1969-73 I was Area Controller for the Central Services to and from London Bridge. In 1976 I spent several months as Traffic Regulator in the new signalbox there. In subsequent years I would occasionally cover station management posts in the area, and from 1981-4 I was Operating Assistant for the South Eastern Division. Then I spent 20 years commuting from Staplehurst to Charing Cross, occasionally Cannon Street. I feel I know the patch a little.

During that time Thameslink grew from an idea into a major industry in its own right - and that is the root (or Route!) cause of all the present misery and upheaval. Initially the Train Planners made it clear there were no paths for Thameslink through London Bridge in the peaks. But the demand grew and became irresistible, and the involvement of people outside the industry in determining the priorities - Government agencies - has led to the huge investment scheme now under way. No-one, it seems, has been able to do a risk-analysis of the effect on the paying customer when the usual problems arise during periods of limited facilities and reduced services. Thameslink and the works to enable it will be a wonderful thing when finished, but the cost to the commuter in the not-very-short term seems to have been ignored. "No gain without pain" is the sort of masochistic maxim espoused by people who attend fitness clubs. It appears to have been cheerfully added to the price of season tickets for some years to come. But neither the TOCs nor Network Rail really deserve the opprobrium the customer rightly feels the need to dish out. That should be directed to Higher Authority, I suggest.

• RMweb Premium

E173137E-06D6-415B-9AE9-E5041F615C29.jpg

Little bit of politics there......

"Double seat, double seat, got to get a double seat...."

I think of that classic Ben Elton line every time I see the rush hour chaos at Victoria or London Bridge!

"Double seat, double seat, got to get a double seat...."

I think of that classic Ben Elton line every time I see the rush hour chaos at Victoria or London Bridge!

it always used to make me smile.

Mind you when the changes to the timetable occur from January, I think I'm going to be glad to be actually able to get on a train at LBG.

• RMweb Gold

As of yesterday we were still queueing to get off the platform in the morning with passengers still being allowed to enter the platform at the same time, some with wheely bags making the egress form the platform even worse.

Luckily  for me, today i had to go to Belgravia so took the train to VIC and will be doing the same tomorrow. My other half (works at Moorgate) decided to take the train to Farringdon but got caught up with the Met  Circle line closure at Kings Cross due to falling debris from the roof. She now wished that she had gone via LBG!!

• RMweb Gold

Thats what they have been doing under the newly opened platforms for the extended underground concourse. The London Dungeons were  some where to the right in the old Victorian arches.

Our train home leaves from platform 9 to the right of the works. the narrow platforms aren't an issue, at least for us in the evening rush hour due to the trickle of people arriving over the space of 15 minutes or so to board it and not many people getting off when the train arrives.

• RMweb Gold

I made a brief visit to London Bridge today, where they were starting to put in the gently curved girders across the forecourt for the new through platform lines.

The first girder can be glimpsed beyond the old viaduct, at the left.

15369382865_f3d586e1d4_b.jpgLondon Bridge Works by unravelled, on Flickr

There are a few other pics at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/unravelled/sets/72157632556184415/

As well as the one already installed, one was being prepared for lifting, and two more parked up at the worksite off Southwark St.

I thought that method being used for unloading was quite cunning. The girder on its trailer is backed under the approach viaduct built a couple of years ago over Railway Approach. It's then secured to the viaduct structure with threaded hangers. Using the trailer's hydraulics, the girder was lifted in stages, the hangers being shortened and exra cribbing installed each time. The trailer could then be removed, and a couple of multi axle scissor lifts brought in to move the girder into place, ( after the hangers are released...).

I'll try to get back early next week for more photos,

Thanks

Dave

There is a lot of anger in Redhill (my station) and Reigate about how we are being shafted in the December changes and losing half of our direct morning peak services to London Bridge plus of course the Thameslink redirection.  Even the local MP is demanding answers and there are several Facebook groups formulating plans.

It seems that we are bearing the brunt of the cuts (many of the other lines/stations have little to no changes) and it's happening for up to three years.

• RMweb Gold

There is quite a lot in the local press about it.

We have started going on FCC for now then on to the Northern line at Elephant and Castle despite only one lift in action, to avoid the delays and ten minutes to get off the platform.

Its also been delaying the train leaving LBG as the guard cant see if the doors are clear to shut them due to the passengers queuing to get off the platform.

From Elephant, you can get the 133 up to London Bridge from the bus stop outside the Metropolitan Tabernacle (opposite the shopping centre) - that might be a useful alternative if the tubes are problematic.

I can get the 133 or 343 to my place of work from Elephant but a good point has been made as to what happens if you only have a London Terminals travelcard, should you have to pay for the bus or tube to get up to London Bridge by an alternative method.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We have started going via Elephant and Castle after trying to get in one of the front coaches and still queuing to get off the platform at London Bridge even that far forward. They now stop passengers getting on to the platform but where they make them queue up also narrows the exit Tim the platform.

There has been quite a few articles in the local press over recent weeks about the proposed reduction of morning peak hour services from Redhill To London Bridge from 9 to just 5 .

However it's noticeable that the Thameslink service we use is getting a lot busier and there is now queuing to get down the steps at

Elephant and Castle

There's regular queueing to get off the Charing Cross line platforms too - especially if two trains arrive at similar times - and even more so when someone comes up the platform slope with their bike. If bikes are banned from rush hour travel, why isn't it enforced? Or don't ban them.....!

• RMweb Premium

Don't get me started about commuters with bicycles.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

Naah, its commuters with umbrellas - especially when it is only a very light drizzle, there is very little room (try walking past the entrance to Monument station when it is even slightly damp at the moment) and/or you are under cover.

• RMweb Gold

Naah, its commuters with umbrellas - especially when it is only a very light drizzle, there is very little room (try walking past the entrance to Monument station when it is even slightly damp at the moment) and/or you are under cover.

How was your journey this morning with the signal and power issues on the Arun Valley?

Ours wasn't good as the Thameslink via Elephant and Castle was cancelled due to trian fault and most others services around 07.00 up from Brighton and Horsham were delayed (no reason given)

We ended up having to stand in the first class compartment (all seats taken even in there) of the 319. At East Croydon people couldn't get on the train as it was so crowded. I wonder how thats going ot work when that particular train to London Bridge is withdrawn in December.

Main reason for posting today is that there is an interesting paragragh or two in the latest issue of Rail Express- apparently Govia are not happy with the class 700 EMU's as not being suitable for long distance travel between Brighton, Peterborough, Cambridge etc. but now too late to change them as the specification was agreed with the Government before the new franchise was awarded.

• RMweb Premium

How was your journey this morning with the signal and power issues on the Arun Valley?

Ours wasn't good as the Thameslink via Elephant and Castle was cancelled due to trian fault and most others services around 07.00 up from Brighton and Horsham were delayed (no reason given)

We ended up having to stand in the first class compartment (all seats taken even in there) of the 319. At East Croydon people couldn't get on the train as it was so crowded. I wonder how thats going ot work when that particular train to London Bridge is withdrawn in December.

Not too bad. Very minor delays up the valley this morning, but the recovery time built into the Three Bridges stop helps claw some of that back. The usual waiting around outside London Bridge delayed us more. I did notice the train was particularly packed at East Croydon - 12 carriages absolutely full to capacity - which is probably the result of the earlier delays. 

I suspect the issues effected the southbound trains more, the southbound 07:28 from Pulborough was about 10 minutes late,

Archived