The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

Full story on the Bury RSPCA here

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/10416261.unfortunate-helping-bury-animals-charity-slogan-goes-viral/

later edit: why are they all looking at the ground - has someone buried an animal there?

Edited by eastwestdivide
looking down
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2019 at 14:12, eastwestdivide said:

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/10416261.unfortunate-helping-bury-animals-charity-slogan-goes-viral/

later edit: why are they all looking at the ground - has someone buried an animal there?

The cynic in me can't help wondering if someone did see the pun before they made the sign, as I'm sure many people would have written "Helping Bury's Animals" - to me, "Helping Manchester Animals" sounds less natural than "Helping Manchester's Animals".  Then again, I haven't googled images of their other shops, so maybe their house style is without the s.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JDW said:

The cynic in me can't help wondering if someone did see the pun before they made the sign, as I'm sure many people would have written "Helping Bury's Animals" - to me, "Helping Manchester Animals" sounds less natural than "Helping Manchester's Animals".  Then again, I haven't googled images of their other shops, so maybe their house style is without the s.  

The cynic in me would say "its a publicity stunt" ?

• Like 2

On 03/04/2019 at 05:58, JZ said:

Someone clearly didn't think this through.

PIC: "RSPCA Helping Bury Animals"

On 04/04/2019 at 06:12, eastwestdivide said:

7 hours ago, JDW said:

6 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

The cynic in me would say "its a publicity stunt" ?

An oldie but a goodie. Ah the internet: where nothing ever dies but is eternally recycled.

That picture always reminds me of the Undertakers' Sketch: "Well there are three things we can do with your mother. We can burn her, bury her, or dump her." etc.

But the big question for me, not living in Britain, is pronunciation.

Is it "berry", "burry" or "bree"? Or something else?

No Beodericsworth please.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

An oldie but a goodie. Ah the internet: where nothing ever dies but is eternally recycled.

That picture always reminds me of the Undertakers' Sketch: "Well there are three things we can do with your mother. We can burn her, bury her, or dump her." etc.

I'd say it's closer to 'berry' but I'm from the wrong side of the hills... What I wonder more is how many people saw that and just didn't get it - after all, Bury is not somewhere that most people will of heard of, let alone know where it is!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hi Oz,

I had the misfortune to live in Bury for 18 years and pronunciation veered towards your number 2 guess of "Burry".

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Regret that I have no picture of this but last week I came up behind a huge articulated mineral lorry that was labelled in very large letters "The Dutchy".

In a much smaller notice on the rear left of said lorry was a sign that read; "Cyclists do not pass The Dutchy on the left hand side".  :laugh:

Tony

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

55 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Regret that I have no picture of this but last week I came up behind a huge articulated mineral lorry that was labelled in very large letters "The Dutchy".

In a much smaller notice on the rear left of said lorry was a sign that read; "Cyclists do not pass The Dutchy on the left hand side".  :laugh:

Tony

Lorries, especially foreign registration ones, can be a source of much amusement.

'Caution- Left-handed Driver' appears frequently enough for there to be self-adhesive printed notices announcing it.

Some of the names of operators are definitely from the 'it seemed like a good idea at the time' school

'Stop Transport', 'Discordia' and 'Boom Transport' are three I see frequently.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Lorries, especially foreign registration ones, can be a source of much amusement.

'. . . . and 'Boom Transport' are three I see frequently.

More irony than amusing when the S&T watched the cctv and found it was a Boom Transport lorry that took out the booms on Sherborne level crossing a couple of years back!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Obviously too many people know what that is, I had to look it up!    Honest!!!

I hope you can explain your internet search to SWMBO ;)

Try saying it was to do with a model railway forum post lol ;)

• Funny 5