Hornby Class 67

TomE

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

saw a triple headed class 67 convoy in crewe earlier all in ews livery, noticed the rear one had new push pull fire fighting equipment fitted, didnt really pay much notice to the numbers but they were scottish RETB ones

would have been 67 heaven had my double headed chiltern pair ran to crewe as well

• RMweb Premium

saw a triple headed class 67 convoy in crewe earlier all in ews livery, noticed the rear one had new push pull fire fighting equipment fitted, didnt really pay much notice to the numbers but they were scottish RETB ones

67023, 67016 and 67027 apparently:

http://www.wnxx.com/content/051112/67023.htm

• RMweb Gold

done a bit to 67018 tonight, first up i rebent the roof grille to a more angular condition, sits a little bit better, forgot to take photos though!

next up i cut the exhaust down on it to sit lower than the roof

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/s-type-driver/2012%20album/E07D379E-4CD6-48BE-88C8-14B8A303BE59-2195-000001D1FF53B658.jpg

comparte it to the normal one in the background

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/s-type-driver/2012%20album/BF460546-3A91-49A1-8061-C43A4D7881A3-2195-000001D202D050EF.jpg

then i had a disaster, got a brand new 67 today which im going to renumber to another one in the chiltern fleet, anyway while i was doing so i managed to drop it off the table onto the laminate floor, ended up smashing the buffer off and cracking the bodyshell!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/s-type-driver/2012%20album/5E1D6359-88F7-4F35-B136-53FF29438C3E-2195-000001D20657D8A7.jpg

managed to reglue it from inside and give it a brush coat of silver along the crack which has disguised it a bit, once i give it a light weather it should look less noticable, i'll just make sure that end is nearest the train all the time

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/s-type-driver/2012%20album/297AEE4E-EAA2-4749-A3C2-01F77A6690D1-2195-000001D28CAE8D54.jpg

hopefully Hornby will have some buffers as spares

got a brand new 67 today which im going to renumber to another one in the chiltern fleet

Which 67 are you planning on modelling Jim?

My favourite has to be 67010 as it was the first WSMR liveried 67 I had seen,

The modifications look better

I suppose it will be a project to modify it, when my skills improve that's the one I'm going to model...

Heres a clip of 67010 at Warrington during running in after it's long absence ready to start work with Chiltern.

The video is from my YouTube channel...hope you like it

I was thinking 010, the light clusters are odd on it and the ohle flashes are in different places on the ends

And its the only chiltern 67 ive not driven yet

I was thinking of maybe respraying it into arriva wales livery

I was thinking 010, the light clusters are odd on it and the ohle flashes are in different places on the ends

And its the only chiltern 67 ive not driven yet

I was thinking of maybe respraying it into arriva wales livery

If you are planning on respraying it into ATW livery you can do a little more touching up (for the crack) using filler and then sanding it down. You can then continue with applying primer etc. This should cover up the crack nicely. And G-BOAF stated you can get Class 60 buffer spares from East Kent Models or Peter Spares.

• RMweb Gold

for the sake of £4.50 ive ordered a set of class 60 buffers from peters spares, if they fit then great, if not then i'll make a new shank out of plastitube and fit the existing buffer head into it

annoyingly ive misplaced the light guides for the roof light on keith heller too, i should be more organised on my workbench

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/train-packs/dcc-ready-train-packs/r2890-ews-managers-train-pack/

This is the EWS managers train pack priced 192 pounds - for a Limby 67, two fairly good Mk3 coaches and one amazing DVT IMHO. Do you thing its worth the price?

Considering the fact that the new re-tooled 67 is out maybe next year Hornby will (for example) release a AWT Class 67 + DVT train pack, would that cost over 200 quid, like the forthcoming BR HST which is already 200?

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/train-packs/dcc-ready-train-packs/r2890-ews-managers-train-pack/

This is the EWS managers train pack priced 192 pounds - for a Limby 67, two fairly good Mk3 coaches and one amazing DVT IMHO. Do you thing its worth the price?

Considering the fact that the new re-tooled 67 is out maybe next year Hornby will (for example) release a AWT Class 67 + DVT train pack, would that cost over 200 quid, like the forthcoming BR HST which is already 200?

If you liked you could get hold of just the coaches and the DVT and just use 67018 Keith Heller or respray and egsample for a higher quality model?

http://www.Hornby.co...ers-train-pack/

Those are RRP and can be picked up much cheaper at other stores.

• RMweb Gold

fixed my 67 last night with the class 60 buffers, they are different but not significantly and they went straight in

the 60 buffers are shorter...

A6F01315-ED1A-4E81-B664-7D714378BC72-4403-000003E7211A03B1.jpg

in place they look fine.....

5A45CD56-C651-4448-9C25-E4406B0ADE39-4403-000003E72400E276.jpg

quite happy with how the repair has come out

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again....and I am sorry if this HAS been covered but I cannot get the search function to find my specific gripes, if they have been covered before. My EWS 67001 ran fine OOTB on Peco code 100 DC for running in, build quality body and chassis wise is fine too. Fitting sound chip has unearthed some shortcomings. The wiring is shoddy. There are all sorts of wires for lights and pick ups snaking all over the drive shaft and gear tower area at both ends. In my case snagging the drive shaft and causing noise on running. This has been sorted with re-routeing and some black-taking out of the way. So sound chip fitted and some CV fiddling done it runs OK....however on finer scale track Peco 75 and 83 (my US layout) it is horrid over the check rails and frogs. looking at the wheels it appears (like the 101/bubble car etc) we have gone back to old Lima standards for flange depth. Dreadful. As a comparator I have Dapol 22 on my bench for sound fitting for a pal. Revelation! Neat job, plenty of room for decoder and speaker doddle to fit, lovely wheel standards and at the same price point. There is a lot to commend the 67 about but it is not a 50 or a 60! Every time I get on my high horse (regularly) I suggest that anyone who hasn't got one buys a KATO US outline loco to see just how lovely a cheapish RTR chassis can be. Don't believe me try it! KATO locos go regularly for under £50 on Ebay and are a different class to ANYTHING we have had RTR in UK outline. This KATO design is 10 years+ old!!

• RMweb Gold

Agree with you about you say with the fitting a sound decoder and the wiring. Opened up mine couple of weeks ago to see whats involved fitting a sound decoder and decided that it's something I did not want to attempt with wires going everywhere so the loco will be going to one of the experts to sort it out........

Have fitted sound in a number of Hornby steam tender locos but there are still wires obstructing the speaker enclosures. Look at the instruction sheet ad it looks a relative doodle - but they don't show any of the wiring that appears on the tender......

Please Mr. Hornby make it easier!!

Keith

EDIT: somebody's name.......

Agree with you about you say with the fitting a sound decoder and the wiring. Opened up mine couple of weeks ago to see whats involved fitting a sound decoder and decided that it's something I did not want to attempt with wires going everywhere so the loco will be going to one of the experts to sort it out........

Have fitted sound in a number of Hornby steam tender locos but there are still wires obstructing the speaker enclosures. Look at the instruction sheet ad it looks a relative doodle - but they don't show any of the wiring that appears on the tender......

Please Mr. Horny make it easier!!

Keith

I am sure Simon Kohler will appreciate being called 'Mr Horny' Keith!!

• RMweb Gold

Not intended I can assure you especially as Mr. K has quite a memory - we had a chat at the Folkestone Show in 2011 and he referred to it when we chatted again at the 2012 show. Took me quite by surprise bearing in mind the number of people he talks to during the year.

Keith

Treated myself to a EWS 67001 at Wakefield show tonight, it's a superb model. Very pleased with it. Was disappointed when I first saw them in the shops, didn't think the face looked right, but with the lower skirt and detailing parts on it looks the business.

Question is, does anyone know where I can get some EWS transfers that are the right size for the bodyside and cab numbers? I don't want to replace all 5 ideally! Even better, has anyone who renumbered theirs got a half used sheet that they are finished with, or can spare me a few numbers off of, for a fee? I'm thinking 67019.

Cheers

Treated myself to a EWS 67001 at Wakefield show tonight, it's a superb model. Very pleased with it. Was disappointed when I first saw them in the shops, didn't think the face looked right, but with the lower skirt and detailing parts on it looks the business.

Question is, does anyone know where I can get some EWS transfers that are the right size for the bodyside and cab numbers? I don't want to replace all 5 ideally! Even better, has anyone who renumbered theirs got a half used sheet that they are finished with, or can spare me a few numbers off of, for a fee? I'm thinking 67019.

Cheers

I'd like to see a few pics when your done. I hope Hornby have sorted out that dreaded QC problem...? I love the Class 67 just holding back till I know I can get a good one. Did you find any problems with yours Ash? By problems I mean in the paint job, I am not to worried about the gap between the shell and chasis at the cab ends (thats an easy fix)

Archived