Hornby Class 67

TomE

• RMweb Gold

That full page ad in RM made me spit my cornflakes out.

" the class 67 sets a new benchmark..." or similar by some bloke who is editor of the Hornby magazine.

That's what we need unbiased reviews...

Regardless of whether you agree with the review or not the editor of Hornby Magazine is as unbiased as the next magazine editor, there is no connection with Hornby other than a long term licence to use the name in the title of the Magazine.

I have a model of the new Hornby class 67 in EWS livery and there are a couple of problems with it,

The first being a stupid error about not putting the y on railway!

This isn't really to much of a fault but the loco they modelled is now an Arriva liveried loco...

And Hornby weren't the best with quality control or fixing errors to put it nicely.

But on the whole it wasn't a bad model, nice detailing and they are great sound fitted, but fitting the chip is a bit of a squeez.

FYI: I read the model rail review and that was honest and quite a good though review...

Thanks,

Tom

Biffos 67 sounds the best so far out of all the ones i've heard.

Heres a few snaps of mine now that I've resprayed the yellow ends to the correct shape - I think it does wonders for the model , and helps accentuate the negative rake on the lower cabfronts - very nice.

I airbrushed a very thin layer of (Precision) white primer first , then some humbrol gloss yellow , then the final color match was a little mixture of 80s warning panel yellow and a couple of drops of Freightliner yellow - again both from Precision. with this little 'fix' done , the more I look at the Hornby skip , the more I like it :)

post-6893-0-57950400-1349641260.jpg

post-6893-0-55699000-1349641277.jpg

post-6893-0-76150800-1349641314.jpg

tfn

Jon

Looking good Jon, Spot of white paint on the cab door handrails?

Cheers

Tom

I just found that a bit of a dodgy quote, but fair enough if there is not a connection.

I have only seen one in the flesh once, but from what others write it wont trouble the class 60s crown it seems.

I'd Not want to have a permanent downer on Hornby - there class 31 I have is the most quiet and smooth loco I have. Even though Jims got me looking from all angles to see why he has reverted to Lima bodies..

Looking good Jon, Spot of white paint on the cab door handrails?

Cheers

Tom

Id spray them white if I could get them unglued from the bodyshell - the bodyshell in this area is very very thin - infact its translucent . Might break if I forced them,

Guest jim s-w

I have only seen one in the flesh once, but from what others write it wont trouble the class 60s crown it seems.

Exactly, the 67 looks ok, better in some aspects than lima, worse in others but certainly no where near hornbys own class 60.

Cheers

Jim

I

" the class 67 sets a new benchmark..."

best laugh ive had since the Hornby CDA

I have not ready any of the reviews of the 67 from any of the magazines (as I would still buy one anyway as I like the prototypes)

but did any of them dare to point out the bogies are pretty much 'railroad' ?

Jon

jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm collecting my DBschenker one from local modelshop. Great News re Arriva Blue Version !!

Has anyone source EWS Transfers as yet ??

As mentioned a couple of times earlier in this thread. Modelmaster - I got mine from Shawplan - if they haven't sold out yet.

Cheers,

Mick

Can anyone comment on the 2013 DBS "Diamond Jubilee" model?

From the 2013 release pack I see it's labelled as a Hornby Collectors Club Special but what does that mean exactly? I presume only available through the club to members?

Martin

I guessed so Jim so I called the Collectors Club.

They didn't know anything about this model and therefore couldn't comment. They suggested I called Margate which I did. Comment from there was only the sales team really know because when they looked up the product code apparently a note on the system said Collectors Club Model but it may be released for sale at concessions. So I'm confused.

I'd join the club too to get one if that is what you have to do. I know there's time, just wondered if there was anyone more enlightened out there!

Martin

• RMweb Gold

i know certain retailers can sell "collector centre" loco's, trident trains do so around here, i just rung richard there to ask whether he would be getting the 67 and he explained that collector centre locos are different to collectors club locos and you do have to be a club member to get one

previous collector centre locos have included the black britannia and some livery variation of the T9

i'll be joining the club in the new year i recon

i know certain retailers can sell "collector centre" loco's, trident trains do so around here, i just rung richard there to ask whether he would be getting the 67 and he explained that collector centre locos are different to collectors club locos and you do have to be a club member to get one

i'll be joining the club in the new year i recon

Thanks Jim, looks like I'll be joining too!

Martin

Archived