Hornby Class 67

TomE

I'm collecting my DBschenker one from local modelshop. Great News re Arriva Blue Version !!

Has anyone source EWS Transfers as yet ??

Went to pick up my Maple Leaf 67 from Waltons in Altrincham

Not happy all 3 they had in stock had blemishes and touch ups as per the issues highlighted by Rail Exclusive! :(

I hope theres going to be another batch with better QC

Very dissapointing

Went to pick up my Maple Leaf 67 from Waltons in Altrincham

Not happy all 3 they had in stock had blemishes and touch ups as per the issues highlighted by Rail Exclusive! :(

I hope theres going to be another batch with better QC

Very dissapointing

I have emailed Hornby to enquire if there is goingto be a second batch??

I will advise of their response here,,,

• 2 weeks later...

I have emailed Hornby to enquire if there is goingto be a second batch??

I will advise of their response here,,,

As promised, received a response to say that second batch of R3039 was now in stock with Hornby and does not exhibit same blemishes/QC issues as 1st Batch

I'll check with Waltons/Arcadia to see if they have them in stock again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As promised, received a response to say that second batch of R3039 was now in stock with Hornby and does not exhibit same blemishes/QC issues as 1st Batch

I'll check with Waltons/Arcadia to see if they have them in stock again

That is very interesting, as i got a call yesterday to say the new batch of R3038 and R3040 was in stock with Hattons. But they apologised as they said every one in the delivery suffered from blemishes to the paintwork. They searched through the entire stock they had and have sent me the "best of the worst" for me to think about compromising. I shall go and pick them up from the Porters tomorrow and see. Such a shame this has happened, what disappoints me is that when complaining to Hornby, I was told i am the only one to complain about the 67s. I wish if Hornby just got on top of this one, admitted issues and promised an exchange direct with them for a new high quality batch of R3038”a” and R3040”a” when available.

Has anyone else received the 2nd batch from one of the retailers? (Im told most shops are reporting up to 60% of their stock is soiled)

Not had anything from the 'second batch' (if indeed there really is a second batch yet?) but since my last post in this thread I have had two examples of R3039 and three examples of R3040 temporarily in my possession from three separate retailers in three locations around the country but had to return each and every one due to quality issues and missing parts. Very dissapointing - I also feel sorry for the retailers having to handle all these returns. I was really looking forward to these models too.

I hope there is another run and that Hornby sort out all of the problems described in this thread. They might get some of my hard earned cash again if so!

Well ive been to the porters and collected my 2nd attempt at perfect R3038 and R3040. Lets start with the good news! The "2nd batch" R3040 has the "Y" to railways! Sadly, this is the only good piece of news.

post-10272-0-15999900-1359208718_thumb.jpg

Looks like i have some Chinese modern art in which the painter has left a hair signature to R3040!

post-10272-0-96053200-1359210640_thumb.jpg

R3038 again is actually worse than my first R3038 i had a few months ago. The most amusing part is where the painter has painted over a massive scratch/chip.

post-10272-0-91384500-1359210668_thumb.jpg

I am hugely disappointed. I did complain to Hornby back in October when i received my first two models, though they said no one else had complained. So i gave up.

This must be a huge widespread issue with quality here (five retailers that i have spoken to say between 50-60% of their stock is damaged in some form). The 67s are fantastic, highly detailed models and i truly want to support Hornby as a manufacturer. Yet what to do? I wonder would Andy be interested in drawing up some industry support here to move forward and have a promise from Hornby that anyone with a damaged R3038, R3039 or a R3040 will get a new top spec one. I have bought the Wrexham and Shropshire Mk3s and DVT specifically to go with my R3038 and i would truly love to have a W&S 67 to haul my coaches.

I shall email Simon Kohler on Monday, I shall also be copying in the email to the two retailers i have used (Modeltrains4u and Hattons), Ben at Model Rail Magazine and Simon at Rail Expresser Modeller. I hope that if from subsequent emails between everyone, Hornby might make a public apology, recall the damaged models and get producing high quality ones asap. Or am i being overoptimistic?

I very much hope RMWeb community shall help in this, as i suspect more than the minority have been affected here. I shall report back all correspondence that i have permission from the relevant person to share on here.

This IMO is appalling!! Hornby need to be looking into this, even one loco that had damage painted over is not acceptable not even mentioning the y was missing on all of the 1st batch. Having to purchase this by mail order I will decline on the 67 as I can't afford to take the hit on the postage. I just hope the collector 67 don't suffer the same fate. I was planning on joining the collectors club for the sole purpose of getting the Diamond Jubilee 67. Don't think I will bother now. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't something in the manufacturing process of the Class 67 that causes more models than normal to be damaged in some way and need to be touched up before being shipped.

I can't remember the thread, but not so long ago someone posted a link to the website of a Canadian company, where there was a video showing the production process in China of one of their model trains (it was a loco plus a number of associated coaches). Anyway, this video showed the quality control process in the factory and the identification of non-perfect models, which were put aside to be touched up/repaired before being boxed. This suggests to me there is a threshold where minor problems, e.g. scratches, missing or broken parts, are repaired rather than the body or chassis being rejected. After all, if too many are rejected, there may be insufficient to meet the number ordered and by then the machines willk already be set up for a different model so producing more to replace damaged bodies in particular is likely to be difficult and costly.

Once repaired, they are likely to be packed separately and more or less together, so when shipped - by Hornby in the case of the Class 67 - a small number of retailers is likely to get the bulk, rather than them being spread evenly around all retailers. That's my theory anyway.

I do hope the Hornby Collectors Club Limited Edition of 67026 Diamond Jubilee will be ok. My son wants it so I've sort of pre-ordered it by giving his name and membership number to the Collectors Club - they will contact me for payment when they are ready to send it. To save anyone asking, no they didn't know when.

Guest dubdee1000

I like your theory why some retailers seem to get hit with them - certainly some sense to this.  With the initially reported faults, it seemed to be at the corners where there was evidence of damage/repair, but more recent accounts suggest that the repairs to  the finish are more 'distributed'

I wonder how many people hold off on an order/preorder from Hornby based on the problems with the 67?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how many people hold off on an order/preorder from Hornby based on the problems with the 67?

I've had the silver-livery Wrexham & Shropshire coaches and DVT since they came out, and was saving up for the re-tooled 67 but I've been on the fence since the first reports of damaged/repainted locos came out. It's an expensive model, so I'm now waiting to see one on a trader's stall for a sensible price and be able to inspect it for any flaws.

And then they announced the Diamond Jubilee 67 and that caught my eye...and if that's a limited run it's all the more crucial that they iron out these problems!

So if the 67 had wowed from the start and I was sure of getting a good quality model, I would have one happily running around and another on pre-order. It's a shame.

Another disappointed would-be buyer here.

When Hornby first brought out their rehashed Limby version of the 67, I was very disappointed that an opportunity for a decent top class 67 to modern standards had passed by.

The news that they were finally going to do a "proper" all-new 67, was most welcome and I had been looking forward to it since then.

Two or three of these would have fitted in very well with my plans.

What a let down it's turned out to be !!!!!

I won't be buying any of them until these problems have been properly and widely known to be, sorted out.

Well I can safely say my 2 67's EWS and shenker one are spot on both look fine no livery problems apart from the missing y think its a case of have a good look before you buy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

As I posted elsewhere, my son's latest Hornby Collector magazine says that the Arriva liveried Class 67 is to be released shortly, which would tie in with the Collector Club saying that the Diamond Jubillee limited edition was expected in June. So there may be some Class 67s arriving soon.

But I thought the earlier liveries were all delivered to retailers - the Maple leaf one is certainly showing on the Hornby website as currently available for direct sale and the only one showing stock awaited is the DCC Fitted EWS version. So perhaps Hattons won't be getting any more.

• RMweb Gold

Still looking for an Unblemished Maple Leaf 67.....

I have pre-ordered one from Hattons.

Happy to use Mail Oder

Please reply or PM if you know where I may find one?

sorry forgot all about your previous request, trident train still has one(well he did last week anyway)

Still looking for an Unblemished Maple Leaf 67.....

I have pre-ordered one from Hattons.

Happy to use Mail Oder

Please reply or PM if you know where I may find one?

So has the Model Shop, Wellingborough Road, Northampton

Archived