Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

gwrrob

Unfortunately I have very few pictures of Dainton because our Devon holidays were dogged by awful weather.  One of a hydraulic is already on the website and there are a couple more to be "processed" and that's it!  In any event my father was always conscious that Peter Bowles and the peerless David S FIsh were the masters of that location.  David Fish was a real artist, although you wouldn't have thought so seeing him as I remember him, driving a combined harvester!

Off topic, so I will close!

Richard

• Like 1

Bachmann production samples now showing on't website. 9017 is described as "a preserved example", which I find odd given how keen Dennis Lovett was to stress it isn't 'as preserved'! The weathered 9022 has the riveted tender.

Bachmann has done its homework well considering the variations in the class, but these two locos are unique in their respective 'feature sets' as far as I can tell, so be wary if considering renumbering.

9003's bogie probably isn't correct (I don't think bogies would have been swapped between locos), nor is its cabsheet handrail height, and the jury is still out on its livery.

They're all a bit drop dead gorgeous, though.

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann production samples now showing on't website. 9017 is described as "a preserved example", which I find odd given how keen Dennis Lovett was to stress it isn't 'as preserved'! The weathered 9022 has the riveted tender.

Bachmann has done its homework well considering the variations in the class, but these two locos are unique in their respective 'feature sets' as far as I can tell, so be wary if considering renumbering.

9003's bogie probably isn't correct (I don't think bogies would have been swapped between locos), nor is its cabsheet handrail height, and the jury is still out on its livery.

They're all a bit drop dead gorgeous, though.

Technically it does represent the preserved example as it was at a particular time to the extent that 9017 ran for some time in preservation in black livery and was pictured in that condition in the Bachmann catalogue.  However what is not quite so clear until someone comes along with some really clear pics is whether or not it at that time had a snaphead rivetted tender (I suspect it probably did).  None of which is relevant to me as I'm quite happy with it in BR condition for the late 1950s when it appears to have had a tender with countersunk rivets - only difference being it was downright mucky.

Froxfield2012 - reference your #268, 9017 has indeed had two tenders whilst at the Bluebell (not quite sure how, midnight raid at Didcot to get a newer riveted one?) and has had at least two rivet-styles of smokebox wrapper, for the sake of argument the '1962' and '2003' style. The '2003' style, which Bachmann has adopted, is aligned more to what the majority of Dukedogs were in the 1950s (including 9017, I think).

I wasn't aware that 9017 had had 2 tenders in preservation, though it does make sense that the first one may have been life expired as the loco spent a period running with a C class tender in the early days. Whether it was a spare or the one currently behind 592, I am unsure. I would be very interested to know where 9017's new tender appeared from?

Evidence of the loco with the C class' tender can be found here: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/gwr/dukedog.html

Evidence of the loco on the Bluebell with its smooth sided tender: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2514497

Here are two photos my Dad took of 9017 shortly after it arrived on the Bluebell the second photo shows the second tender, albeit on the far right of the photo, if this helps anyone.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EcQrEPXYxgZdjov_DESmCdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4qrn5tDeh4TqZsnaPXAXvtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't aware that 9017 had had 2 tenders in preservation, though it does make sense that the first one may have been life expired as the loco spent a period running with a C class tender in the early days. Whether it was a spare or the one currently behind 592, I am unsure. I would be very interested to know where 9017's new tender appeared from?

Evidence of the loco with the C class' tender can be found here: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/gwr/dukedog.html

Evidence of the loco on the Bluebell with its smooth sided tender: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2514497

The tender currently behind 592 was obtained by the Bluebell as a "spare", not attached to another loco. 592's tender at preservation was I believe then scrapped due to corrosion.

• RMweb Premium

Whoever said bad things arrive in threes? Dukedog, J11 and Cl 40….Three cheers for Xmas and Bachmann. In what has been a relatively sparse year it certainly is finishing with a flourish

• Like 1

The Dukedog really looks like a fantastic model. I always wanted one of these locos when I began modelling the Cambrian a good 10 years ago, and honestly never thought we would be offered one ready to run.

On its own, the tender looks like a fantastic model - is it a Churchward or a Collett 3500 gallon? Either way, would it be suitable to slot behind a retooled Manor loco, or even behind the current 2251 perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

No nothing as yet, i have two on pre-order and no news. :scratchhead:

Can not wait for this loco to come out!.

The detail on the front bogie looks amazing, and well look even better once it's weathered up a bit!.

Edited by darren01

I've painted quite a lot of 4mm scale outside crank GW locos over the years and the utmost care was always needed with the chassis. In those days the outside cranks were threaded onto Romford extended axles and then locked in position with Araldited or solder. This was never enough and they could easily slip their quartering, so some folk threaded a nut onto the axle before threading on the crank and this provided a solid fixing especially when soldered. However, another problem was the amount of slack in the coupling rod holes if the builder was a slap-happy-chappy. This could lead to mangling! It is often forgotten that when the rtr people mass produce a loco, it's running is often far more fool-proof than on those home-assembled locos of yore.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Rob Kinsey has written an interesting review for us on MRL - https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Reviews/234/Bachmann_new_GWR_Earl_Class_inspected_by_Rob_Kinsey/ with photos courtesy of Tony Wright.

Thanks for that review link Andy.I must be behind the times but I hadn't noticed that Bachmann are using that plug in method for connection now or is it just the dcc version using it.I hope it's more user friendly than the Hornby version.It's ages since I bought a 'new' Bachmann tender engine.

I do like that black version though.