RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

I thought it might be one of those Automata that used to introduce the "Antiques Roadshow" , but sadly not - I have to say that it is rather nice though- I wonder if my haggises would like it for a new home - but I suspect the addition of a plastic "budgie-ladder" to get them up to the perch would rather spoil the ambience.  :nono:

• RMweb Gold

These have been listed again in Finescale:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/set-of-5-scale-railway-model-trains-/261789670971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf3e15e3b

But this one takes the biscuit:- Listed in Collectables>Trains/ Railway Models>Finescale

Looks like it is 12ins/1ft scale to me.
$_57.JPG

Going cheep?

Mike.

Well over priced, but this? Why?

It's what every time-traveller needs to ensure they're getting "low prices guaranteed".

Someone has actually bid on it. Why am I picturing someone in their home surrounded by bookshelves full of Argos catalogues?

"Right then, tonight I think I'll read the 1994 Christmas one".

JB

• RMweb Premium

It's what every time-traveller needs to ensure they're getting "low prices guaranteed".

Someone has actually bid on it. Why am I picturing someone in their home surrounded by bookshelves full of Argos catalogues?

"Right then, tonight I think I'll read the 1994 Christmas one".

JB

But doubtless there are quite a few people here who collect old Tri-ang catalogues. Is there really any difference? Should we judge others choice of hobby?

• RMweb Premium

But doubtless there are quite a few people here who collect old Tri-ang catalogues. Is there really any difference? Should we judge others choice of hobby?

I know that it's a controversial subject, and I hesitate to mention matters of such dubious taste, but there is a rumour that some people collect ................... TOY TRAINS !!!!!!!! :O :nono: :sarcastichand: :secret: :derisive: :swoon: :punish: :laugh: :haha:

There - I've said it now !!!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I wasn't mocking catalogue collectors at all, I was questioning the interest (and storage logistics) in this particular case. Fifty Argos catalogues would take up an entire bookcase and would weigh in the region of 100Kg... You could collect a hundred model railway catalogues and they'd only take up a small shelf. I've kept a couple of Hornby and Jouef catalogues myself, one of which I used just yesterday to check the length of a piece of discontinued rolling stock - far quicker than asking this newfangled internet thingy to give me the answer!

That said, whilst I think the average person can understand the attraction of collecting catalogues or other promotional material showcasing a specific brand or product over the years (be they model trains, real cars, electronic goods etc), I'm struggling to see why you'd want a collection of very heavy catalogues containing completely-non specific lists of products which are essentially the same from year to year. At what point in life are you going to need to know the price or dimensions of a specific pack of underpants that was available fourteen years ago?

Now where's my 1982 Yellow Pages? I need to count the entries to see if there were more or fewer than in the 1983 edition  :read:

JB

• Like 2

....At what point in life are you going to need to know the price or dimensions of a specific pack of underpants that was available fourteen years ago?...

I happen to think that information could turn out to be ESSENTIAL.........

When I get my time machine :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

• Like 2

That said, whilst I think the average person can understand the attraction of collecting catalogues or other promotional material showcasing a specific brand or product over the years (be they model trains, real cars, electronic goods etc), I'm struggling to see why you'd want a collection of very heavy catalogues containing completely-non specific lists of products which are essentially the same from year to year. At what point in life are you going to need to know the price or dimensions of a specific pack of underpants that was available fourteen years ago?

Social history.

An Argos catalogue from 1900 would make for fascinating reading.

Somebody has to save some :)

• RMweb Premium

I used to live in a flat above an antique/memorabilia shop owned by a friend. He had a collection of Army & Navy Store catalogues from the 1890s to the 1920s. Not only fascinating but also  a good resource, not only for ID-ing things but for social history. They would ship just about anything to anywhere. There must have been 2 or 3 pages of hedging tools (billhooks etc) alone, featuring regional styles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't mocking catalogue collectors at all, I was questioning the interest (and storage logistics) in this particular case. Fifty Argos catalogues would take up an entire bookcase and would weigh in the region of 100Kg... You could collect a hundred model railway catalogues and they'd only take up a small shelf. I've kept a couple of Hornby and Jouef catalogues myself, one of which I used just yesterday to check the length of a piece of discontinued rolling stock - far quicker than asking this newfangled internet thingy to give me the answer!

Now where's my 1982 Yellow Pages? I need to count the entries to see if there were more or fewer than in the 1983 edition  :read:

JB

Well I confess that I have no idea on how large an Argus catalogue is, but is it relevant?

Its not even boxed!

But it is superdetailed!

• Like 1