EBay madness

Marcyg

WARNING.....!!!

You may have heard about someone buying a Laptop on Ebay....only to find that they had actually bought a PHOTO of a laptop!

Someone is doing it for Model Railways!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/photo-of-model-railway-coach-E153E-full-brake-/351313743238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cbee4d86

The listing does clearly state PHOTO, but the very limited description, coupled with the "click" impulse on seeing the illustration may well laed someone into buying this....

The question is, why would you want to buy a photo of a coach, when you could buy loads in a catalogue or Model Railway Magazine?

There is also another from the same seller...a Pullman Coach PHOTO...(of an old HO LIMA Model!)

...and we thought selling empty boxes was a high point in eBay madness...

• Like 1

WARNING.....!!!

You may have heard about someone buying a Laptop on Ebay....only to find that they had actually bought a PHOTO of a laptop!

Someone is doing it for Model Railways!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/photo-of-model-railway-coach-E153E-full-brake-/351313743238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cbee4d86

The listing does clearly state PHOTO, but the very limited description, coupled with the "click" impulse on seeing the illustration may well laed someone into buying this....

The question is, why would you want to buy a photo of a coach, when you could buy loads in a catalogue or Model Railway Magazine?

There is also another from the same seller...a Pullman Coach PHOTO...(of an old HO LIMA Model!)

Ah hah!!

Now it has me wondering hast how much a photo of a photo of a Hornby Exeter could command - I could become a millionaire :)

Edited by Ian Abel

.... only if you have an Exeter to take a photo of.

Nah, to plagiarize poorly Blazing Saddles, "we don't need no stinking model..." - why bother with that trivial problem, just "borrow" the photo from the Hornby web page or other "location"...that's the "eBay madness way after all" :jester:  :O  :jester: means more profit from the PHOTO sale too!!!

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

You are too hard on poor Gwen.

She does offer free postage on the photo.

It's the strange landscape in the background that disturbs me and why has she taken a photo of the photo with the original lying on her bath mat. Not keen on the blue colour any way.

Bernard

• Like 1

You are too hard on poor Gwen.

She does offer free postage on the photo.

It's the strange landscape in the background that disturbs me and why has she taken a photo of the photo with the original lying on her bath mat. Not keen on the blue colour any way.

Bernard

You could cut out the carriage from the picture, paste it onto a background of your choice and sell it on as a "Handcrafted Original KIT BUILT! RARE!!!".

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is some overseas suppliers bump up the value for insurance thinking they're doing you a favour, not realising it puts the 'value' of the item bought much higher.  I got caught by this once.  Nowadays I ask them to make sure the price is same as the value.

I can understand buying from overseas based sellers might get VAT added.

:offtopic:

Someone based in the UK and selling in pounds and adding postage in pounds, with the prices the same as the others in the Amazon Marketplace who ship from the UK, should have a very obvious warning that they are shipping from the US and you are likely to get hammered.

At the time there was no warning whatsoever (there is something on the site now) and when I complained to Amazon they said as it was Marketplace it wasn't their responsibility and to get in touch with the seller who basically said "tough" it says shipped from US - case closed.

N.B. the items I bought were UK manufactured and I could not see the logic (apart from blatant profiteering by making them seem the same price as their competitors) of sending the items to the US and re-importing them!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I can understand buying from overseas based sellers might get VAT added.

:offtopic:

Someone based in the UK and selling in pounds and adding postage in pounds, with the prices the same as the others in the Amazon Marketplace who ship from the UK, should have a very obvious warning that they are shipping from the US and you are likely to get hammered.

At the time there was no warning whatsoever (there is something on the site now) and when I complained to Amazon they said as it was Marketplace it wasn't their responsibility and to get in touch with the seller who basically said "tough" it says shipped from US - case closed.

Keith

Yeah, Amazon seem to have their own interpretation of the UK 'Sale of Goods act' too, we've just had a fight with them regarding a manufacturing fault on a guitar which came to light after 2 months, contacted the marketplace seller - not interested and became most abusive and accusing when we pressed for something to be done and Amazon Claims said sorry you should have claimed within 14 Days of purchase, yeah right. We looked it up and with manufacturing faults it is 6 months so buxxer Amazon we'll be closing the account so they won't ever again need to pay our part of their tax...... LOL.   Now going through our card company.

Should have supported our local music shop.... not some shyster in Dumfermline selling from his house.

Dave Franks

Amazon, another 'too big' company.

• RMweb Premium

Not really "madness" more a case of "strange". Pity folks don't do any research before posting things :O

Then again it IS on the eBay US site and in the HO scale/Hornby area - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-OO-HO-Gauge-0-6-0-Jinty-Locomotive-Coal-Car-Triang-England-Nice-/281565900093?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item418ea2ad3d

Seems a tank engine may need a "coal car" in the imagination of a US model railroad store <sigh>

So what happened to his other sale, the one for the loco sans tender?

:jester:

Careful what you say about Scotsmen selling from their house Dave!!!

Mike.

not some shyster in Dumfermline selling from his house.

Yeah Mike but I'm not on Amazon Marketplace pretending to be a retailer. I've now found out he's a failed company director....

Dave Franks.

There I was, quietly trawling through Ebay for some J94's , when this popped up...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sexy-Nude-Girl-Model-Photo-Stockings-Female-Wife-Busty-1-Butt-BIG-Boobs-Lady-J94-/301524884445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4634489bdd

Wasn't a Dapol or Hornby , so I skipped it...

I got a similar response when I was searching for a nice set of buffers

• RMweb Premium

There I was, quietly trawling through Ebay for some J94's , when this popped up...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sexy-Nude-Girl-Model-Photo-Stockings-Female-Wife-Busty-1-Butt-BIG-Boobs-Lady-J94-/301524884445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4634489bdd

I had a browse through to see if he had any other locomotives on offer, some were very steamy. :O :locomotive:

May be we should all email them to ask what motor is fitted, what couplings, are they DCC, etc. etc.

Or even as they are in the finescale section are they OO, EM or P4.

Now that would confuse them....

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gives new meaning to 'Click to enlarge'.