EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

You do realise you'll probably be in competition with him, don't you?

Indeed!

However as the 'end consumer' I should have the advantage in that buying for pleasure rather than needing to turn a profit means that I can sensibly bid up to (my personal concept of) the retail price rather than having to stop at the trade price.

An intermediary needs to consider that there would be double postage, i.e. first seller (you) to intermediary, then intermediary to consumer (me).  All that postage comes out of my (or other customer's) wallet at the end of the day, since the intermediary will add his postage costs to his purchase costs plus margin before listing for my perusal.

Of course from Stationmaster's anecdotes on the subject of auctions we know that some traders can become determined to prevent at any cost other traders winning lots. Should you be the fortunate seller in such an event, the prices will have well exceeded my personal concept of the retail prices (and by that convoluted route we're back on topic of Ebay Madness).  :)

Not madness, but I wanted a CD, sold in the USA, but from an UK source, so picked on the items marked in £'s...
Cost £8.07 - Free P&P, then after Buy Now, thought the delivery date (about 15 days) was long so checked origin... Kentucky... :O 
The CD is normally around $12 +  $8 p&p from the USA, so in one sense I have a bargain, bar the delivery time has caught me.

Oh, the CD - Roy Rogers (Blues Guitarist) and if you want to know what he's like try this track on YouTube 

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-156-JUBILEE-45715-INVINCIBLE-EMPTY-BOX-ONLY-/351314140421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cbf45d05

I've heard of box shifters but £6.99 + £3.22 p&p for an empty box?  Really?  Are their mad collectors of empty boxes out there?

I'd suggest any Michaels in the vicinity move away now as this seller is coming to take you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-156-JUBILEE-45715-INVINCIBLE-EMPTY-BOX-ONLY-/351314140421?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cbf45d05

I've heard of box shifters but £6.99 + £3.22 p&p for an empty box?  Really?  Are their mad collectors of empty boxes out there?

I'd suggest any Michaels in the vicinity move away now as this seller is coming to take you.

You see plenty of empty bodyshells and bodyless chassis units being sold, people don't buy those for collection purposes either From a product point of view an empty box for your loco is a replacement part like any other, particularly if you want to sell it on for a decent price (even more so in the case of rare / vintage items such as the Hornby APT). I'd be a bit cautious about buying an unboxed loco which the seller claims to be in new condition. Why is  the box no longer with us? Where's the loco been stored? What's been protecting it from dust when it's unused?

You might be spending a tenner on a box but if it means your loco fetches £40 more at auction then it's hardly a daft investment.

JB

Never ceases to amaze me how many people bid on fresh air....... :jester:

Nothing 'fresh' about it. :butcher:

I'd be a bit cautious about buying an unboxed loco which the seller claims to be in new condition.

I would be dubious about any boxed loco - and certainly would not pay a penny more for one. Because I would think that they just bought the box off ebay and is probably the wrong one. Besides most boxes go straight into the recycling bin. I don't collect boxes or locos. Edited by Kenton

You see plenty of empty bodyshells and bodyless chassis units being sold, people don't buy those for collection purposes either From a product point of view an empty box for your loco is a replacement part like any other, particularly if you want to sell it on for a decent price (even more so in the case of rare / vintage items such as the Hornby APT). I'd be a bit cautious about buying an unboxed loco which the seller claims to be in new condition. Why is  the box no longer with us? Where's the loco been stored? What's been protecting it from dust when it's unused?

You might be spending a tenner on a box but if it means your loco fetches £40 more at auction then it's hardly a daft investment.

JB

Bodyshells are different, people buy them as spares or to modify.  I've bought several bodyshells to repaint and swap over.  I can see why some might buy an empty box as well, but £6.99?  Putting an unboxed loco in a correct box doesn't guarantee any extra return on it's sale as it can't possibly be described as "mint and boxed" as the loco clearly has been out of the wrapper, and in any case loco prices vary wildly depending who is looking at the time apart from a few well known bank-busters like FGW HSTs and 166s, so paying nearly ten notes to buy a box for your loco could end up being a waste of money if it doesn't attract many bids. 

Unless of course the seller is suffering from Gosturditis where everything will be mint, boxed, kit-built and excellent.

Edited by wombatofludham

Putting an unboxed loco in a correct box doesn't guarantee any extra return on it's sale as it can't possibly be described as "mint and boxed" as the loco clearly has been out of the wrapper

Who is to know that the Loco was unboxed if it is in perfect condition ?

• RMweb Premium

Not madness, but I wanted a CD, sold in the USA, but from an UK source, so picked on the items marked in £'s...

Cost £8.07 - Free P&P, then after Buy Now, thought the delivery date (about 15 days) was long so checked origin... Kentucky... :O 

The CD is normally around $12 +  $8 p&p from the USA, so in one sense I have a bargain, bar the delivery time has caught me.

Watch you don't get caught for VAT and Royal Mail handling charge..

Just because it's sold by a UK supplier the fact it comes from America means it is an import and VAT can be added, once that happens the dreaded handling charge kicks in.

(I know because I got caught like that on an Amazon purchase from a UK supplier, but shipped from the US!)

They were CDs and ended up quite a bit more expensive than from an actual UK source.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

What you don't get caught for VAT and Royal Mail handling charge..

I got caught not long ago. Bought an item £8.50 inc postage from Australia. The seller put a value of $30 on the package and it attracted VAT. With RM's fees I had to pay just over eleven quid. More than the item cost in the first place...

Hornby Western anyone?

Excellent condition with no damage.

Oh, except for the declared 'no hook at front, one buffer missing.'  And everything else wrong with the poor hapless creature.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-class-52-Western-diesel-/251801737567?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3aa08d995f

Meanwhile, Rails' Vault's pricing manager needs to sober up:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-BR-Green-Class-47-Diesel-Locomotive-47292-/151576894608?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item234aafdc90

£50 on a B-I-N for an old Hornby 37130?  It's okay though, because the front rails have been replaced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-oo-gauge-diesel-locomotive-/221690890525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339dce891d

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 2

Not really "madness" more a case of "strange". Pity folks don't do any research before posting things :O

Then again it IS on the eBay US site and in the HO scale/Hornby area - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-OO-HO-Gauge-0-6-0-Jinty-Locomotive-Coal-Car-Triang-England-Nice-/281565900093?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item418ea2ad3d

Seems a tank engine may need a "coal car" in the imagination of a US model railroad store <sigh>

• Like 1

At the end of Northern Irish steam there was at least one 2-6-4 tank engine with a coal tender attached. (Can't find a pic on the web at the mo')

That was a "WT" being trialled on the Belfast-Dublin service, but the water capacity of the tank on its own wasn't enough so they attached the tender from a "W" mogul.

Watch you don't get caught for VAT and Royal Mail handling charge..

Just because it's sold by a UK supplier the fact it comes from America means it is an import and VAT can be added, once that happens the dreaded handling charge kicks in.

(I know because I got caught like that on an Amazon purchase from a UK supplier, but shipped from the US!)

They were CDs and ended up quite a bit more expensive than from an actual UK source.

Keith

Anything under 25 quid should not be subject to import duty ! But they also take the mailing cost into account !

• RMweb Gold

Not really "madness" more a case of "strange". Pity folks don't do any research before posting things :O

Then again it IS on the eBay US site and in the HO scale/Hornby area - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-OO-HO-Gauge-0-6-0-Jinty-Locomotive-Coal-Car-Triang-England-Nice-/281565900093?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item418ea2ad3d

Seems a tank engine may need a "coal car" in the imagination of a US model railroad store <sigh>

It's got "bumpers" as well, really is a rare model.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• RMweb Gold

Anything under 25 quid should not be subject to import duty ! But they also take the mailing cost into account !

Trouble is some overseas suppliers bump up the value for insurance thinking they're doing you a favour, not realising it puts the 'value' of the item bought much higher.  I got caught by this once.  Nowadays I ask them to make sure the price is same as the value.

WARNING.....!!!

You may have heard about someone buying a Laptop on Ebay....only to find that they had actually bought a PHOTO of a laptop!

Someone is doing it for Model Railways!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/photo-of-model-railway-coach-E153E-full-brake-/351313743238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51cbee4d86

The listing does clearly state PHOTO, but the very limited description, coupled with the "click" impulse on seeing the illustration may well laed someone into buying this....

The question is, why would you want to buy a photo of a coach, when you could buy loads in a catalogue or Model Railway Magazine?

There is also another from the same seller...a Pullman Coach PHOTO...(of an old HO LIMA Model!)

Edited by Sarahagain