EBay madness

Marcyg

Hang on...haven't we seen this one before?

The layout that was suspended from the roof. Previous time it was listed though, it was photographed while it was up.

While I am in a ranting mood here's another misleading one.  Fans of the L&Y should spot something wrong straight away, shame the seller did not!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360997863260?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tony

Is it the tree/mast sticking out the top of the cab? :scratchhead: Not an L&Y aficionado so otherwise not a clue...

I reckon some kid would be chuffed to get that to play with.

Certainly more chuffed than his dad would be to pay getting on for six grand for it.

• RMweb Premium

While I am in a ranting mood here's another misleading one.  Fans of the L&Y should spot something wrong straight away, shame the seller did not!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360997863260?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tony

What is that? It looks like a doctored photo of 10939 that appears in Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol 2. plate 398. The location is the same, but the bunker has been reduced in length as has the front. I'd say combined with 11304 on plate 204.

Must have been the 1st April.

• RMweb Premium

What is that? It looks like a doctored photo of 10939 that appears in Illustrated History of LMS Locomotives Vol 2. plate 398. The location is the same, but the bunker has been reduced in length as has the front. I'd say combined with 11304 on plate 204.

Must have been the 1st April.

IMHO 10939 looks right for the LH side of the picture and including the loco's running plate and wheels. The RH side has a wagon not in the picture of 10304 or 10939 and the top half of the loco is the wrong perspective (but probably right class).

The bunker belonging to 10939 has been moved rearward.

Where is that signal growing out of the roof?  I thing the saddle tank is a different picture to the one on P204

Altogether a "Frankenstein's Monster" of a locomotive!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I don't have the links, but I've seen some N-gauge RTC liveried stock going (well, offered) for insane prices recently.

Seems insane to me anyone would pay this. I have wanted this FGW power car set for ages, but haven't done anything about getting them , so I tasked myself with calling around as many model shops as possible and eventually came up with the goods , which have arrived this morning. I had to pay the current RRP for the set, but I have saved myself nearly £350  in the process compared to this ebay madness !! 

Not being in the UK, and having some unfinished childhood business to finish with a bit of cash to burn and an upcoming "free" shipping opportunity from the UK to Japan, I've been hitting the "Bid now" button quite a bit recently... but way less than the "delete from watchlist" button once I see some piece of ancient "RARE! (slight glue damage)" junk is shooting way above what I'd pay if I could buy it in an actual shop.

• Like 2

Insane.... Was watching a Bachmann "wren" RTC coach the other day, went for over £150 in the end..... For a coach! Mental

Weathered and Detailed but...MAY HAVE ODD PIECE LOOSE OR MISSING.

I think poor old Sir Christoper has been weathered with sudden patches of fog or china clay in this one. I know paint fades but...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-803-Class-47-Diesel-Br-Blue-yellow-ends-Weathered-and-detailed-/171693821547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f9bfce6b

While this would appear to be weathered, by leaving it outdoors in someone's garden. Unusual it certainly is!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-SKALEDALE-R8693-REPAINTED-EXTENSION-SHOP-BUILDING-WEATHERED-LOOK-/271360912005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f2e5eea85

And I know they come up fairly often in here, so Rails, Why?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-BR-Green-Class-47-Diesel-Locomotive-47292-/151576894608?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item234aafdc90

Seems appropriate that it is done up as 55003 - Muld - as that moss? seems to be giving this ''Professionally Weathered!

authentic scrapped look'' deltic the appearance of Mold. Apparently it looks Just The Job!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TRIANG-SCRAPYARD-DELTIC-LOCO-CLASS-55-NO-D9003-WEATHERED-LOOK-/221701083284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339e6a1094

• RMweb Gold

Seems appropriate that it is done up as 55003 - Muld - as that moss? seems to be giving this ''Professionally Weathered!

authentic scrapped look'' deltic the appearance of Mold. Apparently it looks Just The Job!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TRIANG-SCRAPYARD-DELTIC-LOCO-CLASS-55-NO-D9003-WEATHERED-LOOK-/221701083284?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339e6a1094

Once things have fallen in the toilet they really should be left well alone!

Mike.

Just what I need for my diorama titled "Indiana Jones and the Humid Jungle Diesel Scrapyard of Doom".

Hi,

Another example of how these idiots fail to do their research.

The loco is clearly in green livery. This sort of rubbish churned out by fools looking for profit is just what brings our hobby into disrepute.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

What is it with all these (s)crappy weathered to death models?

Do people really waste good money on them? and if so why?

Yes they do but goodness knows why! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TRIANG-SCRAPYARD-MALLARD-LOCO-CLASS-A4-NO-60022-WEATHERED-LOOK-/221688357829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item339da7e3c5&nma=true&si=xkBJxnI18Q0wQbxoZh5hEpGJ5z4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

He sold a scrapyard version of Mallard, which as we all know is still in the NRM!

If people really want a fictional scrapped Mallard for their layout they could at least get one that looks realistic (and comes with a tender, and is cheaper...)

I actually bought a pair of scrapped Mk1 coaches from this chap a while ago and they're very nicely done, unlike the moss-fests that have been posted previously.

JB

We've had all sorts of totally inaccurate models in these supposed 'scrapyard' conditions in recent month such as:

• Streamlined Duchesses
  • A4s with side wheel valances
  • Evening Star
  • HST power cars in blue/grey livery
  • The Flying Scotsman
  • City of Truro
  • Caledonian single
  • Green Deltics
  • Original liveried Blue Pullmans
  • Heavily rusted wagons that are actually wooden bodied!
  • Coaches/wagons with holes burned into them that have supposedly been burned out
  • Best of all was a heavily rusted flat wagon complete with heavily rusted tree log!

It shows a total lack of understanding of railway history (and the laws of nature) on the part of the creators of these monstrosities  - but that said they obviously do well out of it as most of them appear  to sell for silly money.

The sad thing is that people are prepared to actually buy this rubbish - thus feeding the frenzy on the part of the sellers to create more and more! It would be interesting to see how many purchasers subsequently sell these items on again once they actually see what they have spent their hard earned cash on.

That said, at the other end of the scale you have the truly superb scrapyard condition Hornby class 50 mentioned in recent postings where the creator clearly did his/her research and created a fantastic and realistic representation of a loco that has come to the end of its serviceable life. Not my cup of tea - but it was very well done!

Edited by Bodmin Bob
  • Like 2

We've had all sorts of totally inaccurate models in these supposed 'scrapyard' conditions in recent month such as:

• Streamlined Duchesses
  • A4s with side wheel valances
  • Evening Star
  • HST power cars in blue/grey livery
  • The Flying Scotsman
  • City of Truro
  • Caledonian single
  • Green Deltics
  • Original liveried Blue Pullmans
  • Heavily rusted wagons that are actually wooden bodied!
  • Coaches/wagons with holes burned into them that have supposedly been burned out
  • Best of all was a heavily rusted flat wagon complete with heavily rusted tree log!

It shows a total lack of understanding of railway history (and the laws of nature) on the part of the creators of these monstrosities  - but that said they obviously do well out of it as most of them appear  to sell for silly money.

The sad thing is that people are prepared to actually buy this rubbish - thus feeding the frenzy on the part of the sellers to create more and more! It would be interesting to see how many purchasers subsequently sell these items on again once they actually see what they have spent their hard earned cash on.

That said, at the other end of the scale you have the truly superb scrapyard condition Hornby class 50 mentioned in recent postings where the creator clearly did his/her research and created a fantastic and realistic representation of a loco that has come to the end of its serviceable life. Not my cup of tea - but it was very well done!

Dare I say it....

Most of these have been the "Great British Locomotives" (GBL) collection models (There was a Hornby HST Power Car though! ;) ).

GBL haven't done the Blue Pullman....yet.... ;) (Probably Tri-ang that one?)

Most of the wagons seem to be Tri-ang....with the odd Hornby Dublo Well Wagon?