RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

What's the deal with the modern Graham Farish diesels being sold from a supplier in Taiwan?  Seem too cheap to be true.

I've read of a few which appear to be seconds and many have reported no accessories or paperwork, so I chanced my luck and used "make me an offer" which they accepted. My loco arrived with everything, but when I tested it it wouldn't go, fortunately it turned out to be simply that the lighting units weren't sitting in correctly, which was easy to sort.

There is something a little "iffy" about them, the package arrived with the customs documentation saying "plastic toy value US$16" to avoid import duty.

There is a bit of risk, you could end up with a dud and no recourse, or you could get clobbered with import duty if customs looked a bit closer, however I got a cl24 for less than £50, which was perfect for a project which involved a lot of butchery to an otherwise expensive model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Comes up in US$ and says does not ship to United Kingdom.

Has he realised that people over here have sussed him?

Watch out America.

• RMweb Premium

WTF does  This coach has been proffessionally rifinished mean?

Cheers,

Mick

WTF does This coach has been proffessionally rifinished mean?

Cheers,

Mick

Don't know, but he has an 'Airfix' 'kitbuilt' one at the same price, and in a similar box.....

Ps Didn't look to see if he also has Dapol/ Bachmann etc variants!

The advert says this is in 'excellent boxed condition' - in that case I'm just popping up to Specsavers as there is clearly something wrong with my eyesight! :scratchhead:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-32-152-N-CLASS-BR-BLACK-EARLY-2-6-0-LOCOMOTIVE-31813-/201436800836?hash=item2ee691a744:g:ds4AAOSwVL1WBQ3I

:O

I have noticed they've listed a few with warped bodies previously, so they could perhaps have made a copy+paste error...

The advert says this is in 'excellent boxed condition' - in that case I'm just popping up to Specsavers as there is clearly something wrong with my eyesight! :scratchhead:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-32-152-N-CLASS-BR-BLACK-EARLY-2-6-0-LOCOMOTIVE-31813-/201436800836?hash=item2ee691a744:g:ds4AAOSwVL1WBQ3I

Maybe it is just camera lens distortion :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Completely mazaked, I think :blink:

My god they have some right gems on there, only checked the LNER list, 

no idea what this is supposed to be

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODIFIED-Hornby-OO-GAUGE-REPAINTED-LNER-BLACK-0-6-0-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-4812-/131633861634?hash=item1ea5fd5402:g:X0gAAOSwo0JWJ0l3

The roof has been modified  :jester:

They are trying it on in different ways too 

They have the Hornby Railroad  R3171 Cock o The North at £60 on their own site , on ebay £69.50 very naughty !!

They have the Hornby Railroad  R3171 Cock o The North at £60 on their own site , on ebay £69.50 very naughty !!

Sadly very common on eBay.

The amount eBay and PayPal charge in fees I'm not surprised really sadly. a good 10-20% can be taken purely in eBay/PayPal fees, especially as they use the postage costs as part of the fees calculations too.

Good morning all

The loco 4812 is a old BEC J11 fitted to a Triang/Hornby chassis.

It has a number from a J39.

It looks like it has a J17 tender. It certainly isn't a GCR tender.

Perhaps he has a J17 with a GCR tender.

Earlswood nob

Edited by Earlswood Nob

My god they have some right gems on there, only checked the LNER list, 

no idea what this is supposed to be

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODIFIED-Hornby-OO-GAUGE-REPAINTED-LNER-BLACK-0-6-0-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-4812-/131633861634?hash=item1ea5fd5402:g:X0gAAOSwo0JWJ0l3

The roof has been modified  :jester:

This is a post 1961 Tri-ang Railways, or Tri-ang Hornby (I don't think Hornby actually made any of these?) R.251 Ex LMS "Deeley" 0-6-0 loco body, with what looks like a Tri-ang / Hornby B12 Tender.

Mods are not limited to the whole cab, the belpaire firebox has also been modified to a round-top 'box. (you CAN see the joins! ;) ) The dome has been got at, as has the chimney.

The loco body has been mounted (not very well I am afraid) onto a late Hornby Chassis with Hex-head crankpins, so possibly China made.

Painted with black sludge as well....

• Like 1