EBay madness

Marcyg

Prompted by my Grandson, who wanted to know how bidding worked, I visited Ebay for the first time since mid-'08, only to find that I'm no longer a "Registered User", and my "account has been suspended". Don't know why, as both Ebay and Paypal accounts show zero debt and credit balance. Have 100% positive feedback still showing.

Still waiting for Ebay to respond to query after 3 days.

I can look at the sales pages, but can't bid, or sell if I wanted to, (which I don't at the moment, grandson might have other ideas).

£4.55 for a seep point motor.

But £5 to post it economy mail !!! :blink: :lol:

That's a bit seep, I mean steep!

Basically it's a dealer's minimum charge - seems to be fairly standard (but usually nearer the £4 mark) - and I wonder how much custom has been lost over high postal charges for small items.

That's a bit seep, I mean steep!

Basically it's a dealer's minimum charge - seems to be fairly standard (but usually nearer the £4 mark) - and I wonder how much custom has been lost over high postal charges for small items.

He's taking the 'seep backwards'.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Prompted by my Grandson, who wanted to know how bidding worked, I visited Ebay for the first time since mid-'08, only to find that I'm no longer a "Registered User", and my "account has been suspended". Don't know why, as both Ebay and Paypal accounts show zero debt and credit balance. Have 100% positive feedback still showing.

Still waiting for Ebay to respond to query after 3 days.

I can look at the sales pages, but can't bid, or sell if I wanted to, (which I don't at the moment, grandson might have other ideas).

I wonder if your account was hi-jacked, and ebay stepped in and suspended activity?

£1500 for a circa 4ft by 4 ft railway!! And you are supposed to want to buy based on 3 poxy cropped photo's! :O

OO Layout

If you have a look at their website, the layout in the pictures has "been delivered to a client" : My link - the ebay advert lists delivery in 30 days.

You could always try the same sellers pre-wired fishplates at £10.99 for 10 :O : Ebay link

Andy B)

£1500 for a circa 4ft by 4 ft railway!! And you are supposed to want to buy based on 3 poxy cropped photo's! :O

I think (I hope) that is a typo or a decimal point is missing £149.90 ?

and as for the fishplates - following what we have seen on RMWeb with folk unable or unwilling to switch on a soldering iron, perhaps pay just over a £1 for one to be prepared for you isn't that bad.

Guest baldrick25

That magic word "RARE" again.

RAILCAR

You have to read the blurb underneath, makes you want to buy it just because it has cardboard in the packaging. As for ( the railcar )" try to find another"... errrr how many would you like....

• RMweb Premium

"Full length monochromic display card...."

Classy little description there. I always reckon anyone who resorts to such scientific sounding made up long descriptive words such as monochromic (err that's black and white in old money) is just trying to blind the gullible punter with b##l#cks.

• RMweb Gold

That magic word "RARE" again.

RAILCAR

You have to read the blurb underneath, makes you want to buy it just because it has cardboard in the packaging. As for ( the railcar )" try to find another"... errrr how many would you like....

...ermm, is this not still current in the Hornby catalogue?

• RMweb Gold

...ermm, is this not still current in the Hornby catalogue?

What all these silly-price sales prove is that there are plenty of ebayers who are simply ignorant of what is available and how much it goes for. I suspect Xmas increase the % of uninformed, too. As it happens, I'm pretty ignorant about much of the UK RTR market - but I do try box-shifter websites for an item before considering an ebay bid. Even that, of course, cannot help where the item - be it new or bargain-priced secondhand - is actually a lemon in the first place. RMWeb probably includes critical comments on most recent releases, at least among locos and coaches, but finding them isn't always straightforward. If you buy a new car, you probably did a bit of homework in magazines and online to see what others have said, and mags like Autocar have long tables of data from their roadtests in every issue. I don't think we can reasonably expect a similar compendium of data on here - who would constitute the road-test team, anyway?

• RMweb Gold

I'm fascinated to know what the 'digital scan' was? Does that mean he felt it to see if it was complete?

Alas having had a pre-Christmas tidy-up I can't at the moment find either the sale catalogue or the results sheet to see how how much was paid for it and many of the other items on his current listing. Might of course be pure coincidence but if so it is remarkable that so many things which came up in various lots in the that auction, and were bought by the same person, should be subsequently appearing from a single source on Ebay. Average hammer price paid for a lot of locos (usually 4 or 5 to a lot) in that auction was about 40 quid, sometimes a bit less and occasionally more.