EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

Looking at the only photo for essentially a £600 item, either I need a new pair of glasses, the only photo is fuzzy, or, does it appear to anyone else that the image appears computer generated?

DOubt it is computer generated, more cropped from a bigger view - looks like a library image that they've found somewhere, perhaps an old manufacturer's catalouge.  I can't say I think it's worth anyting like that price - perhaps I'm biased because I don't care for spam cans, but maybe somebody else will.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

DOubt it is computer generated, more cropped from a bigger view - looks like a library image that they've found somewhere, perhaps an old manufacturer's catalouge.  I can't say I think it's worth anyting like that price - perhaps I'm biased because I don't care for spam cans, but maybe somebody else will.

It's the way the two colours looked on the locomotive, it looked like dodgy computer generated imagery. Even on the Hornby website it doesn't look right to my eyes. 

Anyway, the hungry graham, class 102 has come down in price. It was £129.99 earlier today.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Esmedune said:

They make it sound like it was sculpted by gods and painted by angels...  In my eye, there are a few ill fitting seams and the amount of paint on the front buffer is unreal! Sure the lining is top draw, but still not worth the money...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DJH-kit-built-Merchant-Navy-Class-LOCO-4-6-2-Portescap-RG4-motor-Goddard-painted-/115399032411

Looks to me as though something nasty has happened to the front end and someone has bodged a repair and paint job. Larry paints his vac pipes dark grey-see the tender. I doubt Larry would turn out any buffer-beam like this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I did paint jobs like that when I was a child; it looks v much as if the buffer beams are not the work of the same person who painted the rest of the loco.  Slightly suspect bottom seam lh side of tender, but for that price I’d want perfection.  And glazed cab windows. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Prove it.

Could be an empty box for all we know.

Cheers

Darius

PS perhaps Sigraham is a distant relative of Graham Famished…

Ah...Mr Cartmel again........competition for Mr Studebaker!

• Agree 4

14 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Possibly a pile of crumbling Mazac in a box? 

Who knows the secret of the Graham Farish Box? 😉😀

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

L@@k RARE!!!

A Graham Schrodinger Farish box!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

L@@k RARE!!!

A Graham Schrodinger Farish box!

I was thinking the EXACT same thing about Schrodinger’s Cat!!

Meanwhile, we have another “guess the state of the contents” from the following seller …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334400247087?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mSmU9kiJQ1S&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Don’t take this at face value … read the description first - carefully …

My reading from the description is that the seller has seen the contents (or else how could they be specific about an internal part of the model) but at the same time is deeply reluctant to let a potential buyer see it …

One has to wonder why?

Quickly followed by how much?!

I’ve found other items by the same seller graded as C but their definition of such says -

“Seal broken & Considerable box damage. (Products with this grade are in poor condition and it's likely that there is damage to the internal components or components missing. However, our assessment only goes as far as the box, so it is possible that the internal components are still in good condition if the product is strong or not easily broken (e.g LEGO bricks).”

The section I have highlighted in bold is patently false as they often tell you that something doesn’t run etc.

Yet they still simply post a stock image of whatever item they are flogging sorry selling.

Appears to be a proper shop, too!

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Meanwhile, we have another “guess the state of the contents” from the following seller …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334400247087?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mSmU9kiJQ1S&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

My reading from the description is that the seller has seen the contents (or else how could they be specific about an internal part of the model) but at the same time is deeply reluctant to let a potential buyer see it …

One has to wonder why?

I’ve found other items by the same seller graded as C but their definition of such says -

“Seal broken & Considerable box damage. (Products with this grade are in poor condition and it's likely that there is damage to the internal components or components missing. However, our assessment only goes as far as the box, so it is possible that the internal components are still in good condition if the product is strong or not easily broken (e.g LEGO bricks).”

The section I have highlighted in bold is patently false as they often tell you that something doesn’t run etc.

Yet they still simply post a stock image of whatever item they are flogging sorry selling.

Steve S

I have a barge pole somewhere that I am not about to use.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

One has to wonder why?

From the listing

Damage: Missing Drive Shaft

Eh?

I was trying to work out which part of a MN would incorporate a "drive shaft", you usually find them in diesels, transferring the power from a centrally mounted motor to the bogies. I've come to the conclusion that it means that the connecting rod or perhaps coupling rod on one side has come off.

And Condition: New...

Methinks Jadlam are following the Rails route and employing trainees to describe s/h models....

Definitely bargepole territory!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

One has to wonder why?

Steve S

I like the way they're not able to check condition of any components or take any specific photos for you - 

Sorry, but if the difference between making a £144 sale and not doing was taking a couple of phone snaps, I would.

Unless of course I was trying to hide something.

Rather like those live auctions where some boxes contain £500 power tools and the rest bits of house clearance tat.

Either they're trying to get around the eBay rules for returning duff items or genuinely trying to take customers roughly from behind with a frosty mop...

You decide.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Prove it.

Could be an empty box for all we know.

Cheers

Darius

PS perhaps Sigraham is a distant relative of Graham Famished…

3 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Possibly a pile of crumbling Mazac in a box? 

Who knows the secret of the Graham Farish Box? 😉😀

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

He's got 100% feedback over 9000+ sale, so I think it's a bit harsh to infer fraudulent practice.

Personally I regard a photo of only the very old box as a pig in a poke, but I think that's just down to very  bad salesmanship on his part rather than ouright dishonesty. 

Whilst I've no idea whether his price is fair for one of those in good condition, that's a pretty good return on an original investment of 94 shillings!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

He's got 100% feedback over 9000+ sale, so I think it's a bit harsh to infer fraudulent practice.

I think its more an excuse to make some (dodgy) jokes.  I'll concede that my effort certainly fits into the category!

As for the lot, the listing has over 10 days to run, so the box picture may well be a placeholder for content pictures to eventually appear.  The supposition that it might be a quickly thrown together listing is aided by the title. What IS a SIGRAHAM?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

One has to wonder why?

Steve S

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

From the listing

Eh?

I was trying to work out which part of a MN would incorporate a "drive shaft", you usually find them in diesels, transferring the power from a centrally mounted motor to the bogies. I've come to the conclusion that it means that the connecting rod or perhaps coupling rod on one side has come off.

And Condition: New...

Methinks Jadlam are following the Rails route and employing trainees to describe s/h models....

Definitely bargepole territory!

I agree with both of these comments. I was struggling with where the drive shaft is on a steam locomotive. Unless they mean that part of the motor is missing. They then contradict themselves in their own description. How do they know a drive shaft is missing if they haven't opened the box? Definitely a Schrodinger's cat situation!

I personally have had no problems with this retailer. I bought a scalextric set off them for my brothers birthday. Though I purchased it off their shop's website, not Ebay. I think they are based in Somerset.

Edited by PieGuyRob
Got confused with a ship
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Whilst I've no idea whether his price is fair for one of those in good condition, that's a pretty good return on an original investment of 94 shillings!

Price of 112.50 seems over the top in my opinion.

I owned one of these when I was young, sold it in the 1980s.

Nostalgia made me buy a replacement only a few years ago.   At that time there were several on eBay.   The one which I chose was not the cheapest, but was boxed mint and lived up to its description as a good runner, and indeed continues to do so.   At the time I paid 40 pounds which was much more than the purchase and resale price of my original.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Am I missing something here?  A hundred and forty sheets PLUS postage for a chassis?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Farish-N-gauge-6Pin-Class-37-locomotive-chassis-/265702269509?nma=true&si=aX75vbTmxMdDz5I3ToxJ6LpXCq4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You can get the whole loco for the same price and maybe even less!!!

• Like 3