Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pedantically, although it's a 6 wheeled engine, it only seems to be 4 coupled!!

Mike.

I seem to recall seeing a Keighley & Worth Valley coat of arms showing wheels coupled like that

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Well, searching for “Triang coach spares” brought up this listing

IMG_5045.jpeg.575bbf5cd7a7d423a29853e32cbb3f55.jpeg

Cannot imagine why nobody has made an initial bid of £15 (+£3.49 p&p) on this mound of landfill? 🙄

Searching for Triang MK1 coaches has also seen me having to (repeatedly) inform sellers that what they are selling are MK2 coaches (usually LIMA - you can tell by the Volvo bumper bar like couplings) or occasionally Airfix, usually accompanied by a sole MK1 brake coach - annoyingly, I’ve done that on about a dozen different listings by the same seller! Instead of “Hi - your listing shows…” I ended up writing “Me again… you know why…” 🙄

This whole AI generated description malarkey is also thoroughly grinding my gears (I’d say p****d off, but wouldn’t want to offend) to the point that I find myself wanting to contact the seller with a short and pithy message along the lines of “WTAF?!! 🤣“ and just leave it at that.

Meanwhile, that infamous MC Go$turd has an item up that actually seems quite a reasonable price compared to what others are asking for similar - I may even end up purchasing from him. (I know - breaking the unwritten rule of the eBay Madness thread “Don’t buy from He Who Mendaciously Chisels - it only encourages him”!)

If I do, though, am I allowed to give positive feedback along the lines of “Happy with my purchase from the Seller, which for once has been sensibly priced and not massively overpriced either (a) as a Mendacious Chiseler(TM) or (b) as a tax dodge”?

HOURS OF SEARCHING FOR TRIANG MK1 COACHES FUN!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, searching for “Triang coach spares” brought up this listing

IMG_5045.jpeg.575bbf5cd7a7d423a29853e32cbb3f55.jpeg

Cannot imagine why nobody has made an initial bid of £15 (+£3.49 p&p) on this mound of landfill? 🙄

Searching for Triang MK1 coaches has also seen me having to (repeatedly) inform sellers that what they are selling are MK2 coaches (usually LIMA - you can tell by the Volvo bumper bar like couplings) or occasionally Airfix, usually accompanied by a sole MK1 brake coach - annoyingly, I’ve done that on about a dozen different listings by the same seller! Instead of “Hi - your listing shows…” I ended up writing “Me again… you know why…” 🙄

This whole AI generated description malarkey is also thoroughly grinding my gears (I’d say p****d off, but wouldn’t want to offend) to the point that I find myself wanting to contact the seller with a short and pithy message along the lines of “WTAF?!! 🤣“ and just leave it at that.

Meanwhile, that infamous MC Go$turd has an item up that actually seems quite a reasonable price compared to what others are asking for similar - I may even end up purchasing from him. (I know - breaking the unwritten rule of the eBay Madness thread “Don’t buy from He Who Mendaciously Chisels - it only encourages him”!)

If I do, though, am I allowed to give positive feedback along the lines of “Happy with my purchase from the Seller, which for once has been sensibly priced and not massively overpriced either (a) as a Mendacious Chiseler(TM) or (b) as a tax dodge”?

HOURS OF SEARCHING FOR TRIANG MK1 COACHES FUN!

Maybe someone wants an example of the 'LMS' coach that isn't warped?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

Buying from gostude  at a good price is an eBay unlocked achievement and you get an extra star like teams get on their shirts for winning the Champions league. I bought two sets of Modelmaster (that other well-known chisseller) nameplates from him, and I got them for well below the price they go for.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

33 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Buying from gostude  at a good price is an eBay unlocked achievement and you get an extra star like teams get on their shirts for winning the Champions league. I bought two sets of Modelmaster (that other well-known chisseller) nameplates from him, and I got them for well below the price they go for.

Like a split personality? Some of his prices are bargains, some are reasonable, whilst others are absolutely insane!

• Agree 6

3 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Like a split personality? Some of his prices are bargains, some are reasonable, whilst others are absolutely insane!

yeah, every now and then he seems to have a funny turn and puts something on at a competitive price. From memory , these nameplates went for about a tenner new ( name of company on ebay that does them escapes me), so two sets of sealed nameplates that I really needed for a tenner I think, including postage was a decent deal. The alternative was to buy direct from modelmaster and seeing this was only 5+ years ago, I'd probably still be waiting for delivery. 😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

29 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Perhaps the prices are related to how recently a bill to repair his precious cars has come in?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Perhaps the prices are related to how recently a bill to repair his precious cars has come in?

When the mechanic hands over the bill do you reckon he says "here's another great item for your collection"?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

To the naked eye this might appear to be a badly photographed bog-standard Dapol brake van at a significant premium. But when you read the blurb you can't fail to be drawn in...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296263893119

For an O gauge brake van, it's only £8 more than Dapol charge factory fresh.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/products/7f-200-013-o-gauge-br-20t-brake-van-b954781-grey-coal-sector-car

Its O gauge, what do you expect?

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

"The analogue control system and two-rail system make it easy to operate,"

It's a bargain, there's a motor in there somewhere.

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Does everyone realise that this whole AI industry, was compiled using the information on the 'model railway madness', section of eBay?

So if YOU dear reader, have ever contributed to this topic on RMweb, YOU have only yourself to blame!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

14 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Does everyone realise that this whole AI industry, was compiled using the information on the 'model railway madness', section of eBay?

So if YOU dear reader, have ever contributed to this topic on RMweb, YOU have only yourself to blame!

Shhhhhh......

You're not supposed to tell anybody about it!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Madness, or not madness?

£280 for an unpainted 4mm scale NLR tank that’s a none runner, with broken steps and incorrect wheels. 

Jay

73FDD3AE-2BF8-4EFC-A082-659D16D68C0D.jpeg

Edited by JustinDean
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, JustinDean said:

Madness, or not madness?

£280 for an unpainted 4mm scale NLR tank that’s a none runner, with broken steps and incorrect wheels. 

Jay

73FDD3AE-2BF8-4EFC-A082-659D16D68C0D.jpeg

I cast an eye over this. Then I just up'd and walked away!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I suspect that the reason for this may be that he retails at a set percentage above what he paid, and that he isn’t the business genius he likes to think he is and mostly pays over the odds.  Sometimes he gets lucky, the result being an occasionally reasonably priced item.  I’m guessing of course, but it fits the scenario. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but i'm not sure this is worth nearly £800...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334759389328?

Don't think so.

THIS IS SUPER COOL AND SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE!!

At its original £217.99 I expect.... 

s-l1600.jpg.79b36867e5ecb9c71aba190b34fe58ba.jpg

If its unopened, I wonder who the vendor "borrowed" the illustrations from?

Apparently they've either got TWO, or are trying to sell it twice...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335276343120

At least they haven't worked out how to inflict the AI descriptor on potential buyers. Yet.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Don't think so.

At its original £217.99 I expect.... 

s-l1600.jpg.79b36867e5ecb9c71aba190b34fe58ba.jpg

If its unopened, I wonder who the vendor "borrowed" the illustrations from?

Apparently they've either got TWO, or are trying to sell it twice...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335276343120

At least they haven't worked out how to inflict the AI descriptor on potential buyers. Yet.....

I'm very wary of anything described as 'super cool'!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1