EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

I'm not following any of the logic here.

Trading without a shop means less (or even no) trading expense so much better off than those with shops hoping mail order will be enough to cover the costs.

And yes clearly those relying on exhibitions will be struggling (albeit the government is paying self employed at the moment, unless, like me, you were actually paying taxes until recently, so dont qualify) so rather than pack up, I'd expect them to trade hard as soon as they are allowed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot of traders without a base do so as a second income. They often have a full time job and treat it almost as a hobby. I used to to trade at swap meets for a few years and it is a lot of effort for very little return. Many will have already decided to cease trading, probably as many as two thirds of them. Established model shops have another slight advantage in that many of their customers shop on-line already and have carried on as usual. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

One of my friends has a number of strings to his bow due to his varied interests. He would normally be doing the toy and model fairs, (trains and vintage diecasts) the car boots (general antiques and collectibles) and the autojumbles (British motorcycle parts) so he's not been too busy of late. He isn't computer literate, so internet sales are out. 

It's not his main source of income, so the only thing that has been hit financially is his hobby interests. He'll be back at it next year, with any luck.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, 73c said:

Its a painfully inept attempt to make a model of either Boxhill or Beulah as converted to run "Motor Trains" in the early years of the 20th Century.  Boxhill was lucky enough to be converted back to 0-6-0 format in 1913 and survived to become part of the National Collection.

240Terrier.jpg.63d74c5f0df4cb476515bee8cd596659.jpg

Ugh.jpg.525ad7afe6f291abc5255e26c262e0ca.jpg

It looks like the leading driver has been removed and replaced by a bogie wheel* in the original bearing, which probably won't make contact with the track.  Its probably worth about 12 quid, and that would be INCLUDING postage!

* Even the number of spokes looks wrong...  :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

28 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

I honestly feel bad for that terrier.

Almost enough that I want to salvage it... Does that make ME mad? :crazy_mini:

Nope, maybe, er.....

I too had a similar thought, VERY similar.

And at that I am a disciple of the Armies Of Darkness... Um, I mean the Great Western...

Sorry, been spending too much time with S&DJR fans!

Edited by MrWolf
SNAFU
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nope, maybe, er.....

I too had a similar thought, VERY similar.

And at that I am a disciple of the Armies Of Darkness... Um, I mean the Great Western...

Sorry, been spending too much time with S&DJR fans!

Question is do I realise the vision the original owner had (or maybe lack of vision, must be blind) and improve it or do I source spares and return it to original condition...

That is of course if I decide to burn £15 and if nobody else bids on it

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly the visions of the original owner were lysergic visions of dragons coming out of the kitchen walls? 

Don't laugh, it happens.... A friend told me.

Its when the bats appear....

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its when the bats appear....

It was more the yellow tint to everything akin to viewing the world through lucozade and being convinced that you had fallen into a time slip that was unnerving....

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It was more the yellow tint to everything akin to viewing the world through lucozade and being convinced that you had fallen into a time slip that was unnerving....

Was that due to the sodium street lights that were everywhere and turned everything yellow, orange and brown and were part of a terrible plot to leach all the colour out of the world....

21 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Was that due to the sodium street lights that were everywhere and turned everything yellow, orange and brown and were part of a terrible plot to leach all the colour out of the world....

I was hoping so! I can only just remember the blue sodium lights in the Coventry suburbs, much nicer light, those yellow things just seemed to make the fogs worse 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Lima Class 47

There’s something odd about this I just can’t put my finger on...

Cheers

Darius

That appears to be a shortened Class 50 body on a Bo-Bo, two axle bogies, Chassis.

If Lima, then Class 33 or possibly Class 20?

Class 47, is Co-Co, three axle bogies....

3757FD64-41CF-411C-902E-7A992EC277DB.jpeg.84b392aeaadb7a16820f08f23695f1f5.jpeg

19 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

Looks like a Joueff for Playcraft IMHO.

Even if the contents had matched the box I think it would still be overpriced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-dublo-sd6-13-ton-standard-wagon-br-oo-gauge-in-excellent-condition-boxed/114501900266?

Yes, Jouef for Playcraft “Tube” wagon.

The use of the PECO type couplings often confuses folk.... ;)

Here we have a Hornby 13 ton standard wagon B.R.  boxed

Oh no we don’t!   ;)

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added...
  • Like 3