EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, amdaley said:

If you click on that link & go visit shop it takes you to their Uk shop with Uk prices but if you select an item it takes you to the US prices with all the associated import duties etc.

All very confusing :unsure:

But if you then select an item to buy e.g. DR4024 it goes back to Dollars + postage + import duty =  $37.99 + $13.17 + $14.58 (all approximate)

On 16/08/2019 at 21:40, Damo666 said:

Wow!

I'm no expert, but for a professional outlet to call this 'Excellent' when the original number is scratched off, buffer beams broken at both ends and the re-numbering looks like it would be more at home on a 19th century USA steam loco, but applied by a blind-man's drunk guide dog .....

Couldn't find the HMRS transfer sheet but they did have some Letraset.,,,,,

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Not sure whether to put this here, in the Good Buy From Ebay thread, or in Bargain Hunters...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-REPAINTED-GWR-PACER-RAILCAR-CLASS-142-DMU-2-CAR-LOCO-SET-nt/362715289427?hash=item5473841753:g:3H4AAOSw2ipdQuoM

I did send him a message asking if he has accidentally added the wrong pics, no answer though... :jester:

On 16/08/2019 at 20:09, Enterprisingwestern said:

Is that not singular, photo's is a shortening of photographs as a plural?

Mike.

Surely photos is the plural of photo?  If the photo’s pathetic, or the photo’s content is pathetic: examples of when the apostrophe would be present.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2019 at 14:42, Darius43 said:

From the listing:

"Excellent - appears to have been lightly run, there are two missing buffers. "

Hmmm, that one would fit right in, all of my locomotives are "missing their buffers"!:biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::wacko::biggrin_mini:

1074339971_E44PRR2-rail-01.JPG.a20a432cd5cbdc4906eb9ee76e3256b1.JPG

102_0120.JPG.b86144cce7b008dc2ccc374565d3aae8.JPG

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

On 20/08/2019 at 10:16, JDW said:

Not sure whether to put this here, in the Good Buy From Ebay thread, or in Bargain Hunters...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-REPAINTED-GWR-PACER-RAILCAR-CLASS-142-DMU-2-CAR-LOCO-SET-nt/362715289427?hash=item5473841753:g:3H4AAOSw2ipdQuoM

I did send him a message asking if he has accidentally added the wrong pics, no answer though... :jester:

I recently took the plunge and bought something from gostude as it was at a good price and looked great in the pics.  And it was, exactly as described, very well packed.   

I say recently bought, I really should reword as recently received as it took over a month to arrive. the dodging of questions, answering in non-committal ways, or just plain lies made me wonder whether I would ever receive the item.   It took getting eBay involved and going right though the non-receipt process before I eventually got confirmation that it was posted to me.  I'll never buy from them again, no matter how attractive the price is

• RMweb Premium

Considering how much stock he must be sitting on that never seems to sell, because the price is ridiculous, it probably took him that long to find it. But yes, I have seen things from him at surprisingly realistic prices too, I don't quite get how he gets it so wrong on some things (whether the realistic prices or the exorbitant ones are the wrong ones is debatable, I suppose!)

• Like 1

There's an online model railway shop selling a "Hornby Dublo Fixed Uncoupler Rail" for £13.25 Buy it now (plus £15.99 postage) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-Dublo-Standard-Fixed-Uncoupler-Rail-3-Rail-00-New-Condition-1st-Post/123139139535?hash=item1cabaa27cf:g:L5UAAOSwC6da~ZY1. It's actually a half length track with roadway for use in a level crossing.  If someone buys this and tries to uncouple their stock on it, they're in for a bit of a disappointment......

Edited by Wolseley
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wolseley said:

There's an online model railway shop selling a "Hornby Dublo Fixed Uncoupler Rail" for £13.25 Buy it now (plus £15.99 postage) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-Dublo-Standard-Fixed-Uncoupler-Rail-3-Rail-00-New-Condition-1st-Post/123139139535?hash=item1cabaa27cf:g:L5UAAOSwC6da~ZY1. It's actually a half length track with roadway for use in a level crossing.  If someone buys this and tries to uncouple their stock on it, they're in for a bit of a disappointment......

Actually it's a correct piece - it's the early fixed version. The later version had a lever so that you could lift the ramp, plus there was also an electrically-operated one.

But if you really want something like this then you can get a box-full of them for £24.99 - see https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quantity-Mixed-Vintage-Hornby-Dublo-Used-3-Rail-Track-various-Uncoupler-etc/193043535114?hash=item2cf24a950a:g:CmEAAOSwYhJdUGIp&frcectupt=true

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Another ebay silly overpriced piece of old tat.

Please do not spout its rare as TTTE is no longer Hornby blah blah blah.

This hobby is so fast becoming swarmed with "bargain hunters" who think an old knackered model is worth more than its weight in gold. Get a grip on reality guys!!! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Thomas-James-No5-Red-Engine-and-Tender-Used-Unboxed-Runs-Well-00-Gauge/264450863487?hash=item3d927ff17f:g:3ggAAOSwYpJdbN2n

On 02/09/2019 at 02:13, Colin_McLeod said:

Interesting info about the "fixed uncoupling rail" but what are the subtle appearance differences between that and the level crossing rail?

I would be interested in finding out more about this "fixed uncoupling rail" too, and also when it was introduced and how long it was in production for.  I have revisited Michael Foster's book and, although I might have missed something, can find no mention of its existence.  One query I have in particular is that if the uncoupling works the same way as on the ramp with the lever or the later electric version, you would expect it to uncouple every vehicle passing over it in either direction, so how was this avoided?  Having a fixed ramp would also seem to be a retrograde step (although Meccano Ltd management did make some strange decisions from time to time) as Sydney Pritchard's prototype device had a lever to raise and lower the platform.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

ITEMS SENT TO THE ADDRESS ON YOUR PAYPAL PAYMENT ONLY.

Not that I would be buying them, but, my PayPal account is linked to my UK bank account, no one else seems to have issues sending things to a different address in a different country!

Mike.

I actually have five addresses linked to my paypal account. I just click the one I want went using Paypal.

Two for my US purchases and three for the UK - my work, wife's work and home - depending upon what I'm buying and where from.

Never had a problem - even when the recipients name doesn't match mine in the case of the US purchases.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I use two e bay addresses. My own address for those who post to Ireland for a reasonable price, and my An Post AddressPal address for those who post to UK only, or who charge too much for posting to Ireland.

No problem with either address.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2019 at 15:14, leopardml2341 said:

It looks like the listing is for six of them. That does not seem too high for them at about twenty pounds each.

• Agree 1