Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Entering (and winning) the scratchbuilt loco competition with your effort produced from etchings drawn by yourself, a CNC milled gearbox and wheel centres (again, by yourself) and rapid prototyped boiler fittings and buffer castings (designed in TurboCad....again by yourself).

Of course, the entry which should have won (because it was hewn from brass sheet with a piercing saw) utilised bought-in wheels, gearbox, buffer castings and boiler fittings.

Oh, sorry...'how to get lynched at a model railway show' - I thought it said 'how to get lynched on certain threads on RMweb'... :blackeye: ;)

Edited by Buckjumper
  • Like 2

Even better, 'finescale Brio' :)

My little boy has just made sure the signal was green before the wooden engine proceeded - that's more finescale thinking than many supposedly finescale layouts I've seen at shows.

• Like 15

My little boy has just made sure the signal was green before the wooden engine proceeded - that's more finescale thinking than many supposedly finescale layouts I've seen at shows.

By next week, he'll have created his own interlocking.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

No, but he scratch built everything, from wagon wheels to the section switches to the Automatic Crispin !

I guess the Wagon Wheels would need crispin' before he put the chocolate coating on... :jester:

Edited by Grafarman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think would do the job?

5464096411_0b6558bebc_b.jpg

5464699360_d9e6d90714_b.jpg

I have to admit to having a somewhat whimsical sense of humour at times, and as I had the decals and an unsed Atlas mech it was crying out to be done.

Matthew

• Like 6

Well the trucks arecorrect for the Santa Fe..... :D :D :D

Re American layouts with DCC/bells/horns.... at the TVNAM Show in June there'll be a whole hall full of 'em... and no-body will be lynched...... :locomotive: :sungum:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Guest Natalie Graham

Have am American layout with DCC sound with crossings sounds and horns - guaranteed to annoy everyone – especially good at a 2 day Show!

I don't think one person is enough to form a lynch mob but I bet the chap with the little N Gauge layout sited next to the blacksmith's forge with 'hammer striking anvil' sound effects on the corner of the adjacent O gauge layout at the recent Kyle MRC show was about ready to give it a go by Sunday evening.

• RMweb Premium

We actually did have a lynching at Wakefield some years ago. At that time Fox Transfers were still going to shows and always had their little Fox on the stand (A soft toy I hasten to add). One Friday afternoon when we were setting up there was a bit of a commotion and when i went to look the Fox had been hung above another stand using one of the gymnastic ropes that hang from the ceiling in the hall. One trader who is still on the circuit had to make a hasty exit. The fox was eventually returned to Jenny and the culprit had a forfeit to pay in due course.

On a similar theme one of our members (Charles Shearn) does a lovely job of making trees out of wire, car filler and various other things. He had his stall going one Friday evening and as was usual left a miniature forest of samples on his table when he left. When he arrived on the Saturday morning some unkind person had done a lovely job of replacing the forest with a set of beautifully modelled stumps surrounded by sawdust. Charles' face was a picture.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit to having a somewhat whimsical sense of humour at times, and as I had the decals and an unsed Atlas mech it was crying out to be done.

Matthew

The GWR has become the GWWWWR, with a couple of minor expansions?

Kevin Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Matthew

I have to say that I actually quite like this conversion, it's very well executed in my opinion and would not look at all out of place on an American layout.

• RMweb Premium

The GWR has become the GWWWWR, with a couple of minor expansions?

Kevin Martin

Would that be the Great Western Railroad of Colorado.. It's not the first Hymek conversion. There is another conversion on the circuit, to broad gauge that runs on a beautifully modelled Broad Gauge layout to annoy rivet counters. The drive is via rubber belts on the outside of the bogies and it looks like a sno cat.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Would that be the Great Western Railroad of Colorado.. It's not the first Hymek conversion. There is another conversion on the circuit, to broad gauge that runs on a beautifully modelled Broad Gauge layout to annoy rivet counters. The drive is via rubber belts on the outside of the bogies and it looks like a sno cat.

Jamie

I actually meant the Great Western, Western, Western & Western Railway, as it spread its influence ever further westwards, through various take overs. Just as it did the South Wales railways.

Would be great to see a photo of the Broad Gauge model. It might satisfy those that think the BG was a Good Thingâ„¢ :sungum:

Kevin Martin

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just remembered one...

I was at an exhibition (I think it was Wakefield) and someone had left a mug on an overbridge. I asked the operator if it was to scale. He wasn't impressed.

I've seen plenty of mugs behind layouts.................. (including ours!) :jester:

(coat on and leaving.....)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Someone's got a layout with the "rivet counter detector van" in the style of a TV licensing detector van. Was at the Pontefract show recently I think.

Yeap the rivet counter detector van exists along with some other interesting stock, they were on show at the Wolverhampton show this weekend in their new 'sports hall' venue.

Watch this space, pics and article will be uploaded very shortly.