Newbryford's mostly Yellow workbench - "it's a drag, man......."

• RMweb Premium

As you are a huge yellow fan I wonder if you can help me with information?

On my travels through the net I came across a yellow coach, I believe it was a crew coach but could be wrong (I frequently am, ;) )

It carried the Eastfield terrier. Do you have any information & possible photo reference, would this be the only carriage to carry depot motifs?

Thank you for any pointers or information you can provide. :)

Mark

• RMweb Premium

On my travels through the net I came across a yellow coach, I believe it was a crew coach but could be wrong (I frequently am, ;) )

It carried the Eastfield terrier. Do you have any information & possible photo reference, would this be the only carriage to carry depot motifs?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry, can't be of much help. Network Rail logos and not Eastfield terriers is more my line! As you say, probably a staff coach, maybe from the Eastfield breakdown train. Could be worth posting in the prototype questions section.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Mark

Hi Mark,

There was a discussion on a rerailing coach in yellow with Westies on the side on the old forum : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32461 which might be the one you are thinking of.

Andy 8)

Guest 40-something

Big Jim

I've found that Dettol works really well

Duncan

I'll secont that.  I've recently stripped, Hornby, Bachmann, Replica and Mainline shells in Dettol and it worked really well.  

The trick is to scrub the loose paint off before letting water anywhere near it.

I prefer Pheonix Superstrip but the postage cost is horrific these days

Just going back to the Colas 70s for a mo. . thought I'd share this quick shot with you before they're collected today. Still got my model to do though, 70805. Funny how your own stuff always gets shoved to the back of the queue!   :rolleyes:  

I've corrected the position of the lettering on these models, painted the lower triangular cowls black, and done a better job of the new air intake boxes. 

post-9660-0-97383400-1389700373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lochnagar
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

. Still got my model to do though, 70805. Funny how your own stuff always gets shoved to the back of the queue!   :rolleyes:  

That's why I rarely do stuff for others - I have enough problem finding time for my own. You've reminded me. I need to stop building layouts and finish a couple of items for Stafford Ex....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just going back to the Colas 70s for a mo. . thought I'd share this quick shot with you before they're collected today.

my boss had one of your 70s in his car today but i didnt get a chance to have a look at it, i did tell him if he had a spare one i'd relieve him of it!

• Like 1

Oh right that's cool, hope they've gone down well! The original plan was to make 10, but time didn't allow. Guessing they'll end up on display in offices though. 

If I get a quiet period in the next few months I might make a couple for sale. But to be honest painting these 5 and all the associated work is more than enough! You never know some nice Colas person might let you have one lol

• RMweb Premium

67026 hits the bench.

I'd seen the prototype 67026 working a test train late last year and wanted it in my fleet, but was too late to join and order the Hornby Club limited edition as they'd all been pre-ordered. And when they started going for very silly money on ebay, I gave up on it. Even a call to John at Precision didn't come up with any easy solution.

Then a couple of weeks ago, three things happened in the space of a few days. Precision Decals released the transfers, bargain red 67018's appeared on Hornby's ebay site and a quick call to Shawplan confirmed that the nameplates were available......

After fully stripping down a 67 to repaint into silver as 67029 and finding it a PITA to re-assemble the marker lights and mw cables, I decided to try my partial stripping method as I've done on a few items previously. 

The only doubt was if the existing red would show through (I had problems with 67029 until after three coats of white primer and one of silver.............)

I removed the Schenker and CP maple leaf markings from 67018 with a combination of fibreglass pen, meths and cotton buds. No need to preserve the main body paint around the transfers - I simply wanted a smooth finish. Glazing and cabside handrails have also been removed.

I simply masked off the cab areas and main roof grille and gave it a coat of grey primer to see if my efforts would be successful.

post-408-0-90348300-1389908952_thumb.jpg

I'm very happy with the result and I'll now carefully mask off the yellow ends (and grille again). Give it a coat of grey primer and then into silver with minimal fuss and rebuilding later.

Although 67026 is primarily destined to work on Deadman's Lane, I'm sure it'll make a debut on New Bryford sooner, rather than later.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Masked and almost ready to go grey.

I'll run a bit of Klear varnish along the edges of the masking tape to lessen the risk of paint bleed. I picked this idea up her on RMweb a couple of months ago and can't remember where from.

The white blob on the cab roof is the newly added GSM-R aerial. I've also removed the aerial mount above the cab window - that's the smallgrey patch under the horn grille - note, this is only removed at one end.

post-408-0-92054300-1389917478_thumb.jpg

I've left the wipers on, as they can be a bit fiddly to replace and they're easy to touch in with black later. The black mouldings on the cabside will also be added back in the same way as 67029.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have just been reading through your thread (again!) and would just like to say WOW! You have inspired me to try my own test coach but could I ask how you got such a perfect finish with car spray paint? Mine is useless. :(

Halford's acrylic primer is the pretty much the only car paint I use. Thin coats from about 10-12inches works for me. The key is to make sure the can is moving and the nozzle is pressed before any paint reaches the model. Not doing any of those can cause problems with the finish. Also better to do a few light passes than spray it in one go.

HTH,

Mick

Halford's acrylic primer is the pretty much the only car paint I use. Thin coats from about 10-12inches works for me. The key is to make sure the can is moving and the nozzle is pressed before any paint reaches the model. Not doing any of those can cause problems with the finish. Also better to do a few light passes than spray it in one go.

HTH,

Mick

Thanks so much, will try all that. Annoyed because I was near Halfords today (or yesterday should I say)

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for quick phone pics.

Transfers for 60066 arrived today from John at Precision. He's done an excellent job of rendering the Drax logo

post-408-0-42371700-1390671614_thumb.jpg

And while I was on with one silver loco, I thought I'd also get on with One's silver loco.

post-408-0-92001000-1390671667_thumb.jpg

There's still a few more detail transfers to add.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

Mick

you are a real smarty pants.........major saving in price......and the satisfaction of having done it yourself.......smug buzzard..........looks gorgeous......

just a flat colour and transfers? .............mmmmmmmm      very interesting......

• Like 1

Very nice, turns out 60066 was a publicity stunt for the first run. It will likely never be used on the biomas again as the 60s are not fitted with the equiptment to open the doors on the wagons! As DB couldn't be bothered to paint a 66 they did a 60 instead!