Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Good buy from Ebay

Unchuffed

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, hayfield said:

You have just hit the nail on the head, I always look on the down side and value an item which includes the wheels and motor. Sometimes I buy a complete kit, taking the wheels motor and gears then reselling the basic kit, many fail to include these into their calculations of whit the kit is worth (think I have heard it as farming)

I've also heard it called "asset stripping"!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

In a way it’s a smaller scale version of buying job lots to keep a few bits and selling the extra. 

Try finding a decent lot described as a job lot, I find this one of the worst searches

But you are spot on, there are some fantastic opportunities that every now and then come to the surface 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is the closet thread to my comment - bought a few bits from "Whoojamaflipmarky" - all buy it now with free postage so I included that in my assessment of whether to buy or not.

Fast delivery, well packed and even a partial refund of some of the postage costs. That was unexpected.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

This is the closet thread to my comment - bought a few bits from "Whoojamaflipmarky" - all buy it now with free postage so I included that in my assessment of whether to buy or not.

Fast delivery, well packed and even a partial refund of some of the postage costs. That was unexpected.

Agreed, they are quick to deliver, well packed, and like yourself I even had some postage refunded.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2022 at 23:42, Bucoops said:

Well done.  How did you manage to get a partial refund of some of the postage costs when it was all  free postage?  :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Well done.  How did you manage to get a partial refund of some of the postage costs when it was all  free postage?  :)

I'd guess at multiple separate items purchased - so the seller offered a combined postage fee to cover the lot.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Well, in stark contrast to ebay madness, I had a very good buy from Rails of Sheffield last week.....

3x Second class DR 4 wheel coaches by Lilliput for a shade under £30 Inc post, bagged via their sale and an extra 15% ebay voucher. They arrived yesterday and tbh look completely unused :yes:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

Finally the postman turned up with some packages, two of which will be farmed, one was a miss described GWR mogul etched brass chassis with a LMS tender, well the tender will be resold making the chassis quite cheap. I bought this on Boxing day, the seller did not post it till the 10th (somewhat annoying) then our sorting office is having problems. Still it arrived 

The second was a kit which had two chassis, I am keeping the etched brass chassis frames along with a few other extras and reselling the kit (still with a chassis) which again should soften the cost greatly.

• Like 4

On 09/12/2021 at 18:20, hayfield said:

Do I start with the good news or the bad news, well it arrived quickly yesterday

789.jpeg.22c5509ec5b996442e4569830a6f8f5d.jpeg

I opened the box and there was a thin bit of foam covering this lot

790.jpeg.c06fd209b5e2f69f7bb5228459078952.jpeg

The main causality, I think I will put it in a warm place prior to trying to bend it

Have I got all the parts, I think so or there about's

The good news is the motor is a  Mashima 1020, High Level LH+ (load hauler plus ?) and 3 sets of hornblocks

A full set of instructions are a bonus and one of the 2 K's HP2M motors work, the second is missing a brush

Lets face it the motor and gearbox covers the cost.

On top of that I had a punt on a nice built but unpainted B4, I think its a Southeastern Finecast, lovely etched chassis built to 00 gauge with sprung pickups on one side, think the motor is a DS10 and no idea of the gearbox yet

I have a damaged one which is somewhat better than that and has a complete running chassis with a DS11 and Romfords. Was a cheap toy fair purchase which as I picked it to examine, the vendor suggested a figure, which I accepted,.he hadn’t any other kit stuff so assume he wanted rid. I could get the parts to repair from Dave Ellis, however you have what’s needed. Pm if interested. 

• Like 1

I have bought 3 chassis over the weekend, 2 unbuilt, plus a J50 built to EM gauge with a set of ultrascale wheels , it even had a detailed plastic body. Its compensated and I all I have just got to manage is to fit a motor & gearbox (plenty in my spares box) and re-fit the wheel square and quartered

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice triple pack of accurascale castle cement PCAs for £45 from footplate models arrived today, says there were small pipes missing below solebar leval but I’m struggling to see anything significant on them

please with that to go with the 2 packs I’ve got on preorder from accurascale themselves 

Edited by big jim
Triple not tripe!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just had two or the 3 chassis I bought over the weekend, the Percy Bulldog with a compensation pack was great value, the Comet King though with a few cheap extras was nearer the retail price. Still I am happy with what I paid. And the post is getting slightly better

• Like 2

I'm thinking the bubble is slowly deflating. Has anybody noticed that prices are gradually returning to realistic levels in bidding?
There's been a few auctions recently where bids ended at about a third or a half less than similar items a couple of months ago.
Is this a sign of normality returning and the ability to rummage under tables at toyfairs and shows....?

BiN prices are still unrealistic from a few chancers though!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Are you talking about RTR, as the items I am interested in (kit and kit built locos) still seem quite expensive where well presented and not too many real bargains about. I guess at the moment sellers have the upper hand in this part of our hobby

One item that arrived 3 days ago is a plastic bodied J50, but with a built EM gauge etched brass compensated chassis with what is described a set of Ultrascale wheels

On the face of it a good buy as a basic chassis would set you back £20 and hornblocks another £10, if they are Ultrascale wheels they are expensive if you can get them

To start off with its a very well made scratch built chassis, but with no brake gear (this could be added), after cleaning and oiling it runs very freely. The body is missing a couple of handrails and a few handrail knobs (easily resolved) and is well weighted.

The matter of it being a good buy probably rests with my ability to fit a motor and gearbox whilst preserving the integrity of the wheels that need removing and re-fitting.

• Like 1