RMweb

Things which annoy you with modelling

People who insist on throwing their teddies out of the pram when manufacturer X in their annual announcements has not announced a Class ## in a specific one day only livery variant that was only seen by their Great Auntie Ethel somewhere near Bromsgrove in 1866 and completely failing to understand why it would not be an instant best seller.

1: I hate to sound like one of the above, But I do find the lack of RTR Southern railway locomotives and rolling stock to be a bit of an annoyance, considering the amount available to the other of the big 4 companies. - also part of this is the expense of Southern based kits, Carriage kits from roxey are near $120NZD where as I was looking at an LNER kit for $25NZD - seems a little ridiculous

2: The complaints of people - who say there is no interest from the young, but the distinct lack of encouragement for the young people who do try - It's enough to put them off

3: When my cat tries to kill itself by trying to drink my paint thinner.

Edited by Cypher VII

1: I hate to sound like one of the above, But I do find the lack of RTR Southern railway locomotives and rolling stock to be a bit of an annoyance, considering the amount available to the other of the big 4 companies. -

Like T9, Schools, Terrier, M7, Q1, Wainwright C, N, N15, Merchant Navy, and Bulleid and Maunsell coaches? And that's just looking at "Hattons" and "The Signalbox" adverts in the Railway Modeller.

Phil T.

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 1

Like T9, Schools, Terrier, M7, Q1, Wainwright C, N, N15, Merchant Navy, and Bulleid and Maunsell coaches? And that's just looking at "Hattons" and "The Signalbox" adverts in the Railway Modeller.

Phil T.

There are no MN's or bullied coaches in southern Guise and yes, while the C class, dock tank and the 25 ton pillbox brakevan are coming out it's still a lot less than others, or does my complaint have no validity?

Sorry to emphasize my point, LMS;

2p, 3f, 4f, black 5, 8f, single wheeler, duchess, princess, Royal Scot, jubilee etc All i'm saying is I would like to see some more engines like the lord nelsons and maybe an unrebuilt MN.

Edited by Cypher VII

Plus a selection of the only rtr EMU's modelled in the British Isles.............

You're also comparing Southern releases against the rest of the Big Four combined.

The problem with saying something like LNER is that it covers a multitude of acreage like the word Southern!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

I would like to see some more engines like the lord nelsons

Well, other than the Lord Nelsons and the King Arthurs ... both of which have been done to a good standard, what is there left in terms of big southern 4-6-0 passenger motive power? As a soft Southerner myself I feel quite well served by the RTR manufacturers of late, in fact there's an embarrassment of riches. We could use some smaller mixed traffic types but the C class is coming so that's a very definite step in the right direction, and there are always kits if there's a loco you really, really must have.

Okay okay! As of late the southern modeller has been spoilt for choice, the maunsell coaches are exellent, the schools, Q1, T9, M7 and N15 are also extremely well detailed and lovely models, I think I may have phrased my original statement wrong, I would like to see this detail and effort put into MORE variations of models, a wider spectrum. it has been nearly 6 years since those first super detailed southern models came out, and I would like to see a few more I decided to file as a complaint but it seems to be more of a suggestion/want, sorry if any wrong conclusions were drawn!

Jack

The way threads such as this, that start out as a bit of light-hearted fun, always get dragged down to a guage-war or Diesel vs Steam argument or R-T-R wishlisting and end up being locked by the Mods... :nono: :warning:

• Like 2

The way threads such as this, that start out as a bit of light-hearted fun, always get dragged down to a guage-war or Diesel vs Steam argument or R-T-R wishlisting and end up being locked by the Mods... :nono: :warning:

I thought the idea of this thread was that you mentioned those little things that annoyed you on a personal level, not what annoyed you about the hobby in general......

Sorry - Continue regular service.

I thought the idea of this thread was that you mentioned those little things that annoyed you on a personal level, not what annoyed you about the hobby in general......

I thought this was a personal point. He didn't ask for an argument.

Manufacturers putting liquid glues such as liquid poly in tall thin bottles rather than the short squat ones they used to supply them in so you are more likely to knock them over. Giving you the joys of wasting glue/dissolving part of the work you have just spent the last hour on and suffering from inhaling the fumes. Yes, I do know you can cut a hole out of a block of wood to make them more stable.

Oh yes, and not being able to make up my mind what prototype to model!

Edited by Eggesford box
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

One final thing

As soon as I try scratch building something - someone produces a model.

Tried 73 bevause it was flat sided - Lima

Get some good kits then a better RTR - lots of Coopercraft mark1s - then Bachmann produced theres

I didn't think that I'd be contributing to this thread but I've been on a roll, modelling-wise, and went to use my tube of Squadron Products white putty to finish the job nicely… and it's gone off! It's harder than Ray Winston with two snooker balls in his sock and I have no substitute! Not happy! :no2:

Edited by Mucky Duck

Annoying? Only a personal one this one. Everytime I think I will do a "quick" conversion to P4 - be it a Parkside kit or a Hornby Grange it never turns out to be simple or quick! I notice all the things that would bug me if I did not fix them and off it goes again. Hornby Grange? .... Springs and axleboxes replaced with full depth castings, safety valve cover and chimney replaced with Mitchell castings and buffer plank being rebuilt to the correct depth. Then I still have to look at the cross heads and rods that stick out like a sore thumb to me.

Ah well, we all choose our paths and I have realised now that attempting to take a short cut does not work for me!

Craig W

Annoying.... my own impatience for a start, and the constant changes of direction when it comes to choosing what area and period to model! Mind you, dabbling in other scales occasionally hasn't helped matters...

• RMweb Premium

I didn't think that I'd be contributing to this thread but I've been on a roll, modelling-wise, and went to use my tube of Squadron Products white putty to finish the job nicely… and it's gone off! It's harder than Ray Winston with two snooker balls in his sock and I have no substitute! Not happy! :no2:

Sounds like my paint cans recently. As to R.W. I fight for him most nights. :O

Loosely connected with mild modelling annoyances is letting things run out before re-stocking to complete a task and finding the supplier has gone away on summer hols......How dare they! :cry:

I know the feeling. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Adhesive that prefers to stick things to one's fingers rather than what you're trying to stick it to.

I hate this - but have done better - I held a superglue tube with my lips and yes I temporarily stuck them together.

• RMweb Premium

Finding the perfect product/component for one's future modelling, and then going back to order a shedload and being told they're not produced any more... :angry:

Putting down a tool and not being able to find it 30 seconds later

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit like forgetting what it is that annoys me....................... :jester:

Mick

• Like 3

Dave.

Thats quick, I normally turn the bench upsided down, do a tour of everywhere in the house I have been that day. Only to find it hiding under something that has not been moved for weeks. This generally leads to a lose of at least an hours modelling time.

Edit bad spelling

Edited by N15class
  • Like 1