Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The human side of the railway...

Trawling through the archives for a photograph I found this thread

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=7&t=11242

Plenty of faces, young and old, obligatory shorts and dodgy pullovers.........oh, and some steamy things!

1964 seemed to be a time when we were allowed and expected to look after ourselves a little more than today, in the 3rd photo down from the top, a nipper stands between the running lines talking up to the footplate. I enjoyed these the first time round and thought they could do with another airing.

Doug

The second photo down, the lad with the water pipe on his head looks like Stuart Duddy, now of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. Edited by roythebus

• RMweb Gold

Captain K., I can't put my finger on just exactly why but I really like the above photo of 66547 and Mike.

Because he has a nice smile that says he'd be good to pass the time of day with? The sort of person who makes you feel better for just that tiny interaction?
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Because he has a nice smile that says he'd be good to pass the time of day with? The sort of person who makes you feel better for just that tiny interaction?

Ive chatted to Mike a couple of times at Liskeard on the Cement, he's a great chap indeed.

Another that sticks in my mind is the driver that was on "Silver Bullet Syphons" all those years ago, a St Blazey man, cant remember his name for the life of me now buts he's another gem of the railway, been fortunate enough to get him on a couple of ballasts over the years and is still SB. has a Yorkshire accent.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ive chatted to Mike a couple of times at Liskeard on the Cement, he's a great chap indeed.

Indeed, I've known him from a few years ago, when he and a colleague were Driver Team Leaders, and one of them used to attend various local performance meetings that I used to go to, he's a great chap. In fact, while we were waiting for the road rail machines to get in position, I joined him in his nice warm cab for a chat about times old and new. After a while, the Engineering Supervisor announced that he was ready for us to inch forward into position for the first of the 'Falcon' bogie open wagons to be loaded with spoil. When we had stopped in our new position, the following individuals were observed, looking at us...

post-57-0-74297400-1354392401.jpg

• Like 6

When we had stopped in our new position, the following individuals were observed, looking at us...

post-57-0-74297400-1354392401.jpg

Ddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Edited by Raffles
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A few Ive taken last few years.

Longitudinal timber replacement on the Plym bridge.

post-299-0-93643200-1354408254_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-71853700-1354408282.jpg

Welding on a very windy and bitter night somewhere on the Gunislake branch.

I can remember it vividly, it was so dam cold i thought my ears would fall off!

post-299-0-94960900-1354408309_thumb.jpg

A miss-hap in St Blazey yard with the Canton crane in attendance and LOTS of track repair!

post-299-0-89951000-1354408331_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-67480900-1354408364_thumb.jpg

I'd just delivered a new TPWS battery bank and charging unit on Looe platform. Thats about 15 grands worth standing there!

post-299-0-01123400-1354408408_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

At the time I took this picture I was annoyed that I had got the workmen in the shot,

I wonder if I had stumbled upon some brazen cable theft!

post-7081-0-62529200-1354888882_thumb.jpg

76028 and 76027 approach Hadfield with an MGR working from Barnsley Junction to Fiddlers Ferry, 25/2/81

cheers

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

At the time I took this picture I was annoyed that I had got the workmen in the shot,

I wonder if I had stumbled upon some brazen cable theft!

post-7081-0-62529200-1354888882_thumb.jpg

76028 and 76027 approach Hadfield with an MGR working from Barnsley Junction to Fiddlers Ferry, 25/2/81

cheers

I just spent a very enjoyable 2 hours or so looking through your flickr site! Oh what we have lost!

• Like 1