The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

8pm tonight - Peak Forest.

Please enlighten as this is all I see:

image.png.2137edaf69d08d46b7f57a9130ca4ef3.png

EDIT managed to find it in a roundabout way. You others must have twitter accounts

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Am I alone in thinking this but is this whole clapping business a bit pointless? 

don’t get me wrong the NHS workers are doing a fantastic job, going above and beyond but now it’s apparently turned into a weekly let’s clap everyone else event, delivery drivers, shop workers, bin men, train drivers even, somewhat diluting the original sentiment 

no doubt we will see people trying to outdo each other on a weekly basis With the most outlandish salute as lockdown continues then when the virus is contained and life goes back to normal and people are allowed out or EastEnders is back on at 8pm it will soon be forgotten about and people will be complaining about how long it takes to see their GP 

• Agree 13

2 minutes ago, big jim said:

Am I alone in thinking this but is this whole clapping business a bit pointless? 

Yes. It's a rare way that those who are being thanked can actually tell they are being thanked. It's also a useful communal activity for a population facing something massive and out of their control.

3 minutes ago, big jim said:

when the virus is contained and life goes back to normal and people are allowed out or EastEnders is back on at 8pm it will soon be forgotten about and people will be complaining about how long it takes to see their GP 

Certainly. And those currently saying they will never buy a Chinese product again will be handing over the cash for those same items. People will hopefully move on and normality will return - that's the point. It (IMHO) doesn't mean we can't do something different right now to thank the people currently keeping the country going right now.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, big jim said:

don’t get me wrong the NHS workers are doing a fantastic job, going above and beyond but now it’s apparently turned into a weekly let’s clap everyone else event, delivery drivers, shop workers, bin men, train drivers even, somewhat diluting the original sentiment 

no doubt we will see people trying to outdo each other on a weekly basis With the most outlandish salute as lockdown continues then when the virus is contained and life goes back to normal and people are allowed out or EastEnders is back on at 8pm it will soon be forgotten about and people will be complaining about how long it takes to see their GP 

I feel that there is a subtle undercurrent of politics with the weekly clapping. The NHS is the one organisation which many feel has been underfunded until now by right-leaning governments. The Covid virus has exposed the effects of continual staff shortages that many in the medical profession have been warning about for years.

Those on the left see clapping as a way of constantly reminding the government how much support the NHS has in the wider community. 

However, politics is not allowed - so I will shut up.  

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

The NHS is the one organisation which many feel has been underfunded until now by right-leaning governments.

Properly funded under left-leaning governments of course:no:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It (IMHO) doesn't mean we can't do something different right now to thank the people currently keeping the country going right now.

I’m a long way down the pecking order when it comes to ‘key workers’, I’m doing my bit to keep things moving, I don’t feel like I deserve to have praise thrust at me for simply doing my job in the safest possible way to keep a roof over my families head

clapping the real heroes on the front line, yes

clapping an overweight train driver, no 

sorry, anyway this is supposed to be a funny thread, apologies for the divert

normal service will be resumed soon

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 31/03/2020 at 11:02, manna said:

G'day Folks

90162119_2855320191182424_5902467739783528448_n.jpg

Obviously people who are owned by Beagles... my nuts dog will run up the street if any one is silly enough to even not pull the gate closed fast enough behind them...and he is a right pain to catch.... I don't see this as funny...it's advise ! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

At KX too.

Despite the clapping, horns and whistles, the echos  sound eerily quiet without the background hum of Deltics or Valentas...

Edited by Titan
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

(Ta to Mike C)

Pulled up to a red other day, sat there minding my own business when a policeman appeared and knocked on my window.

As I lowered it down, he looked at me suspiciously and asked
"Do you have a good enough reason to be out in public right now? There's a lockdown in place."

"Are you taking the p*ss?"
I replied.

"Sir, either you give me a good enough reason to be out or I will have to issue a fine to you"

I put my window back up in his face and he then started banging aggressively on the door.

So, I opened the window and said to him in my most calm customer service voice ...
"Either get on my bloody train or stand back behind the yellow line".

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Titan said:

Despite the clapping, horns and whistles, the echos  sound eerily quiet without the background hum of Deltics or Valentas...

Despite the clapping, horns and whistles, the echos  sound eerily quiet without the background hiss of safety valves and the chime whistles of pacifics.:)

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, big jim said:

...don’t get me wrong the NHS workers are doing a fantastic job, going above and beyond but now it’s apparently turned into a weekly let’s clap everyone else event, delivery drivers, shop workers, bin men, train drivers even, somewhat diluting the original sentiment ...

But in truth this is correct. We have only been able to afford a competent and effective public health sector, developed over the last 200 odd years, on the basis of a mountain of continuing productive effort from untold generations, that took us from hand to mouth subsistence to our present highly interdependent state. Some of us are still old fashioned enough to remind ourselves of this insight regularly "we are one body, we all share one bread".

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Despite the clapping, horns and whistles, the echos  sound eerily quiet without the background hiss of safety valves and the chime whistles of pacifics.:)

Maybe, but I am not old enough to remember that!

6 hours ago, DougN said:

Obviously people who are owned by Beagles... my nuts dog will run up the street if any one is silly enough to even not pull the gate closed fast enough behind them...and he is a right pain to catch.... I don't see this as funny...it's advise ! 

I had a couple of Beagles. They kept nicking my ciggies....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Yes. It's a rare way that those who are being thanked can actually tell they are being thanked. It's also a useful communal activity for a population facing something massive and out of their control.

..... It (IMHO) doesn't mean we can't do something different right now to thank the people currently keeping the country going right now.

Actually, he isn't alone. I qualify for [being thanked] but would much prefer no public fuss. Other people feel differently. Yes, for them, it may be a nice gesture and be really touching*. We are all different. Personally, I'm quite happy to treasure the letters received and conversations I've had where heartfelt thanks have been expressed. I obtain satisfaction from knowing I've turned things around for people and don't feel the need for ostentatious shows of gratitude, which in my experience, quite frankly, are often more about participants' ego than genuine appreciation. 

* Apart from those key workers woken by car horns being sounded in the 'clap' when they were trying to get some well-deserved sleep? I am aware of a nurse and a train driver who lost a lot of sleep due to this. There will be others. Yes, it's good to have something we can all join in with but please could we have something less intrusive? Let's stick with a clap and less of a Wassail festival. 

I apologise for the serious post in this thread but after this week, I couldn't let this pass without putting a different PoV. Thank goodness it's Friday. Only two more working days to go this week. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11