Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

tractor_37260

• RMweb Gold

Hi. It would seem that whatever the problem was has been fixed, for the site is up and running as normal once more. Contacted them on the phone in the morning, and was told that the I.T. man was looking into the issue. He must have found whatever the problem was.

All the best,

Market65.

What I'd really like on the Hattons website is to be able to view the new stock without all the pre-owned items cluttering up the listing... I keep going back hoping to be able to do so but give up and order elsewhere...

It's quite sneaky them doing that, it makes it look like it's brand new if you don't read it carefully. Most other websites I've looked on have a separate section for pre-owned items and are considerable cheaper than Hattons pre-owned prices! 

Picked up a nice second-hand bargain over the weekend - a repainted into NSE Lima 73.  Listed as a poor runner, if I can't fix that then it'll be modified to run "dead" in formation with some of my slam door units in push/pull mode.

Although I selected Royal Mail, I forgot to specify "Not Yodel" and duly got the Yodel notification that it was out for delivery this morning.  Then at 9.20am I got a 'sorry we missed you' text when I was most definitely at home and had been so since about 7pm last night.  A phone call to the courier (whose number they at least thankfully give you) meant I was able to meet her at a local petrol station and collect it up within 5 minutes "as she was passing that way again" so all is well in the end, but I'm pretty sure no attempt was made to deliver in the first place.

Just lucky I happen to be on holiday this week - I didn't expect it to be delivered today as I ordered it on Saturday and didn't expect it until at least tomorrow when I have more time.

But at least I now have it - all I need to do now is source some nameplates as for some reason the person who repainted it (fairly well, I must add) didn't seem to have thought of that.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. I've just been looking at the new releases on the ehattons site, and see that the latest new stock is dated the 24th, April. I wonder if they are struggling just a bit at the moment - no sign, for example - of the Hornby Plll LMS non-corridor carriages. More usually on a Monday, there is some new stock in, even if it is just a handful of road vehicles.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

A lot of recent Hornby and Bachmann new releases have been very late at Hattons, K1, J15, 64xx, E4 for example.

Makes you wonder if they're being left dangling as a result of the manufacturers displeasure at Hattons very aggressive pricing in the last couple of years.....

Hasn't it occurred to anyone, that if Hatton's are perhaps the retail leaders, they would receive the highest number of individual pre-orders for popular items? Thus if Hatton's receive a delivery at the same time as other shops, they then have to process and honour said back-orders first, before any can appear on general sale. This may explain why some don't appear for a day or two, others don't appear at all, because deliveries could have been completely swallowed up by their pre-orders. If some people saw their brand new desired model already on general sale, before their own pre-order had been processed, they'd be jumping up and down with rage. A classic case of Hatton's being victims of their own success?      BK

• Like 2

Agreeing with Brian here: here in Australia, we also have to contend with the time differences (9, 10, or 11 hours, depending on the time of year and state of daylight saving at each end). When the stock comes in, has the aforementioned pre-orders dealt with and is listed, it sometimes sells out before we get the chance to see it online!

One example of a near miss for me was when the first lot of Hornby BR green liveried bogie 'B' vans came in, I saw them on the site but I was at work. I never order from work! Got home that evening and the first model had sold out/disappeared from the shop site, while the 'A' version was down to less than a handful of models in stock. I ordered one very quickly! Checked back a little later and those also were gone.

Some of the models never make it on to the shop pages ... at least, not during my waking hours.

Of course, none of this is in any way Hattons' fault, it's purely down to the vagaries of living on the other side of the world. :)

Edited by SRman

This was their reply on 18th April when asked "Are you having a problem getting the Hornby LMS non-corridor coaches? Other retailers have had them and already sold out."

Hattons - "We have not received them from Hornby yet and our Buyer will contact them to find out the latest expected delivery date."

A lot of recent Hornby and Bachmann new releases have been very late at Hattons, K1, J15, 64xx, E4 for example.

Makes you wonder if they're being left dangling as a result of the manufacturers displeasure at Hattons very aggressive pricing in the last couple of years.....

I'm not disagreeing with you but if the manufacturers are seeing their products sold (which Hattons invariably seem to do) and if all retailers pay the same to the manufacturers for said products, why would manufacturers be displeased...?

• Like 1

What I'd really like on the Hattons website is to be able to view the new stock without all the pre-owned items cluttering up the listing... I keep going back hoping to be able to do so but give up and order elsewhere...

I went onto the Hattons website just now and there is a little tickbox next to the 'Sort By' box, labelled 'Show preowned' - if you take the tick out of the box all the 'LN' and 'SAS' items disappear from the listing, and it remembers that setting for the next time you go there - success!! :sungum:

Edited by talisman56

this picture from hattons pre-owned section make me smile, gives new meaning to the phrase, 'selling fast'!

www.ehattons.com/120388/Mainline_37429_LN_04_7_plank_coke_wagon_with_coal_rail_in_Carpenter_sons_ltd_livery_pre_owned_like/stockdetail.aspx

They also have a couple of upside down images on the OO New Releases section of the .co.uk website! I think they need to hire Steve Flint or Chris Nevard!!

• RMweb Premium

Some annoying side bar of recent activity seems to be popping up now on their site. It was bad enough it kept defaulting to the mobile version, I hate mobile versions of websites.

• RMweb Premium

I find the last few posts interesting, as for the last two days all I've gotten from ehattons.com is

Service Unavailable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

Edited by Nile

I'm not disagreeing with you but if the manufacturers are seeing their products sold (which Hattons invariably seem to do) and if all retailers pay the same to the manufacturers for said products, why would manufacturers be displeased...?

I doubt if Hornby are too impressed with them going head to head with the King model either .

I will never use them again personally after the credit card doesn't work fiasco on a Cock O The North order, needless to say my card is 100% correct. There are many other suppliers out there !.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons website continues to provide far too much grief to users, some of which must be losing sales. Not for the first time recently I found an item of interest in the "new releases" page, and clicked on the product details tab. Result :

"Sorry an error occured. Please try again. Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source at System.Linq.Enumerable.Where[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate) at eHattonsV5.Controllers.StockController.StockDetails(Int32 stockID)"

The potential customer should never see this gobbledegook! And telling him/her to try again is just insulting.

Its nice that they've finally implemented a way to view the stock without having to see the pre-owned stuff.

Another improvement might be to filter out pre-order items as well!

As for the error messages, I've not encountered them often, those I have were mainly at times of high load.  Ians example sounds like someone left a field empty when inserting a new stock item, although the software should have sanity-checked the input before accepting it.  The message should have been caught and written to an exceptions file and the user "merely" presented with a dialog saying that the item was currently unavailable and then returned from whence they came.  Thats at least better than being presented with meaningless gobbldeygook!

I always look at the hattons.co.uk website (very rarely ehattons.com) and have used Firefox for donkeys years. Occasionally the pictures are a little slow to load but that's the only problem I've ever had (with their website at least...!)