Weathering with ink and weathering powders - O Gauge Ruston 48DS

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Covhops!

Yes i like them and the Bachmann offerings are very nice. I have had 6 of these for a while and they may be needed to run on Chapel en le Frith if we can't get the Hattons ICI hoppers in time...

some unfitted ones - not to filthy

post-7650-0-33772600-1481733747_thumb.jpg

and a fitted interloper - too late for my time period but it may be swapped for another unfitted one.

post-7650-0-57240600-1481733756_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the bad light making photography hard to do for me (if only I could be half as good as Tony Wright or AndyY..) I have been busy weathering but not photographing.

However a break in the gloom allowed a bit of photography to happen today..

First up a Bachman 25 in BR Green - part of my involvement in a layout making it debut at Warley 2017

post-7650-0-44205200-1484758023_thumb.jpg

then some unfitted stock for use on Chapel en le Frith our Leeds Club layout

post-7650-0-96825400-1484758039_thumb.jpg

Bachmann Bogie Bolster C

post-7650-0-55124400-1484758050_thumb.jpg

Bachmann ex GW Crocodile

post-7650-0-66863100-1484758064_thumb.jpg

Slaters ex LM Cattle wagon

post-7650-0-62718200-1484758073_thumb.jpg

Bachmann Unfitted Grain Van

and

post-7650-0-22757700-1484758082_thumb.jpg

Parkside ex LM Brake van ( a super kit)!

baz

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

aat the Normanton and Pontefract Show recently I had a lot of questions about weathering. No surprise there but I got more than my fair share of questions about a DJH WD 2-8-0.

post-7650-0-67163500-1486485982_thumb.jpg

I bought this second hand and it looked like someone had sprayed it with brown paint.

A couple of applications of ink followed by dark/black weathering painter has resulted in a  used locomotive. Takes me back to seeing these (from West Hartlepool shed) at  the end of steam. They weren't rusty brown mor a greasy black and grime colour .

Baz

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was a nice sunny day today so I had a chance to complete some weathering and get some photographs today.

These are all in EM..

first up a Dapol Grampus modified by Mike Edge

post-7650-0-27179300-1489090912_thumb.jpg

an ex LMS Period I BG (Roxey kit I think)

post-7650-0-43582400-1489090904_thumb.jpg

and an ex LMS Period III BG

post-7650-0-66503300-1489090891_thumb.jpg

The two BGS were in Crimson so are quite mucky.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

a few more items weathered over the last week or so....including an A4 for me...

Silver Link

post-7650-0-08699600-1491248009_thumb.jpg

and a bit of inspiration... spotted Flying Scotsman at Skipton on Friday evening - it was very clean apart from the cab roof and tender top..

post-7650-0-54392900-1491248063_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I do like the Ivatt pair of LMS diesels.  These have been done for Nicktoix for use on our club layout Chapel en le Frith

post-7650-0-85549400-1493041538_thumb.jpg

and 10001

post-7650-0-03394700-1493041548_thumb.jpg

baz

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Loads of weathering and cricket umpiring means not a lot of time to photograph weathering work but a few samples.

O gauge -  Heljan BR Mk1 BSK in bLue/Grey Livery

post-7650-0-60806400-1500664067_thumb.jpg

and a close up

post-7650-0-37189600-1500664075_thumb.jpg

A Heljan BRCV Type 2 

post-7650-0-90820500-1500664083_thumb.jpg

and roof detail

post-7650-0-93268800-1500664100_thumb.jpg

and something different, the passenger footbridge on Chapel en le Frith (our new club layout) etched then built by our Secretary Andy Morris

post-7650-0-71170000-1500664113_thumb.jpg

and a closer view of it

post-7650-0-74132800-1500664120_thumb.jpg

all using ink and powders as usual

Baz

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Covhops... more to do ..12 in fact. These are the weathered ones from Bachmann.

The rust patches are in the same place on all of the wagons so a bit of white ink and water weathering required,

2 up...

post-7650-0-45061500-1504301305_thumb.jpg

and 8 up

post-7650-0-85394700-1504301357_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies if this question has been asked in this thread before - for a complete beginner prepared to make mistakes on ebay wagons is there a good "weathering kit" to buy as a starting point??

I do have a very good artists shop to hand if that offers a better option but would really appreciate some anal level detail as to what to buy.

I do have the two Hornby magazine Weathering volumes to hand should I buy anything else??

I am basically an internet shopper and don't get out much (from choice).

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

For techiques page 1 of this thread shows them

I use inks - available from a number of companies - the Range, Artist Shops, WH Smiths, Amazon etc

Powders - Greenscenes are good - available mail order or from Squires, other makes are available

Tools - Brushes from Superdrug or anyone who sells make up items, same for the foam sponges etc

I got my mixing palette from Dinsdales in Leeds - it is an Artist supplies shop but Squires do a smaller version

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with

baz

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

some LNER locos for a change...

a D3

post-7650-0-26493600-1511287369_thumb.jpg

and another 4-4-0 - a D2

post-7650-0-97506600-1511287404_thumb.jpg

and a J54

post-7650-0-72419300-1511287467_thumb.jpg

all built and painted by others in OO and all part of the loco fleet from Grantham, the Streamliner years

• Like 4

Barry.

On the whole i find your work a little too heavy for my uses. Though your work on the Heljan Mk1s and 33 showed a much more interesting minimalist approach

Weathering as we know is very subjective, Perhaps if you could show your reference photos I could accept your singular viewpoint a little better. The LMS twins are a case in point. Whilst they were far from pristine in a relatively steam era world.I cannot find any photographic evidence of a equivalent traffic weathering as per your modelling. Have you perhaps taken a little licence with them in view of certain other aftermarket weathering companies.Less is more and subtlety brings its own rewards.

If you should happen to have a Lima or Hornby Western lying around.Then perhaps you could try and do a subtle version of 1063 Western Envoy as per :

http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/Archive-Images/52s/D1001-11-05-74-KENNYO-ST%20AUSTELL-TAU-STEPHEN%20BURDETT.jpg.

I'm sure such an iconic weathering job would be a good selling point against a backdrop of accurate reference material.

I look forward to your future posts with interest.

kind regards

Daz 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Daz

It is difficult to provide images without infringing the copyright. The twins are subject to a lot of photographic evidence of being "dirty" due to usage.

My "singular" viewpoint is as per the requests of the owners of the stock I weather..can you show your less heavy weathering? Not sure what you mean by this.

Baz

• Like 1

Barry.

Whilst your portfolio of work is commendable in its depth and scope. It lacks the gravitas that can only come from sufficient real world evidence. By example we all know in our minds eye what a Western looked like in 1974.When you can present the evidence you're working from; it then becomes apparent just how close to the real thing you are working.

Links to photos have long been an accepted part of modelmaking blogs. RMWeb is full of them.

If I wanted a Western in 1974 condition I might use this as a starting point :

https://goo.gl/images/r9dYjm

As to the LMS twins this is, perhaps, something like you were aiming for :

https://goo.gl/images/jG8Esy

Heavy weathering as shown by some RTR companies bears little relation to real world properties.A factory line in the far east with some black and brown paint,an airbrush, a template and a 1000 models an hour to work through is never going to achieve realism.Your customers on the other hand are bespoke.So I think it's only appropriate to give some indication what you are working from, to satisfactorily justify the heavy weathering and therefore distance your work from that of mass production.That is where I find some of your work a little surreal. If you could link it somehow to your original inspiration.Then all your hardwork would be a more balanced and justified showcase. As a member of three clubs this over the years this has been the concern of several members.We love to see your work but we can't see the source.

Work commitments have put my own efforts on hold for the moment regrettably. Though I should be back in the garage in new year with my new layout Doune set in 1976 in 7mm.

Kind regards

Daz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Daz

You have your idea of heavy weathering others may see it differently.

Strangely enough the D2 and D3 shown above made use of photos from the client. He is happy with them and has the reference material back.

There is a Western on this thread, weathered from a couple of photographs from the owner....it is a problem putting such reference material on here when they want it as their own.

Good luck in finding time to do some weathering as I am interested in seeing how you undertake it. Meanwhile I have a lot more to do.

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Gold

In Barry's defence I must admit I've found it difficult to photograph stock that I'm happy with, AND get it to look the same in the pic. I think others have found it the same? The only explanation that springs to mind is that in real life the grot is only a few microns thick, and on the model it's a few microns thick ie overscale.  Here's a pair of B set coaches I did a while back that seem to me to be much more subtle at normal viewing distance.  OK-ish very close up but to me the weathering is a bit heavy in cruel close up.

post-11293-0-93435600-1511614610.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Barry.

Whilst your portfolio of work is commendable in its depth and scope. It lacks the gravitas that can only come from sufficient real world evidence. By example we all know in our minds eye what a Western looked like in 1974.When you can present the evidence you're working from; it then becomes apparent just how close to the real thing you are working.

Links to photos have long been an accepted part of modelmaking blogs. RMWeb is full of them.

If I wanted a Western in 1974 condition I might use this as a starting point :

https://goo.gl/images/r9dYjm

As to the LMS twins this is, perhaps, something like you were aiming for :

https://goo.gl/images/jG8Esy

Heavy weathering as shown by some RTR companies bears little relation to real world properties.A factory line in the far east with some black and brown paint,an airbrush, a template and a 1000 models an hour to work through is never going to achieve realism.Your customers on the other hand are bespoke.So I think it's only appropriate to give some indication what you are working from, to satisfactorily justify the heavy weathering and therefore distance your work from that of mass production.That is where I find some of your work a little surreal. If you could link it somehow to your original inspiration.Then all your hardwork would be a more balanced and justified showcase. As a member of three clubs this over the years this has been the concern of several members.We love to see your work but we can't see the source.

Work commitments have put my own efforts on hold for the moment regrettably. Though I should be back in the garage in new year with my new layout Doune set in 1976 in 7mm.

Kind regards

Daz

Links to photos are all well and good if you have them, but if they have been provided from a personal collection, then it may be likely that copyright could be infringed.

There are other reasons that photos may not be freely available.

I have a large collection of detailed photos from a couple of guided tours around a railway establishment. I am not allowed to publish those photos as they were taken for personal use only. 

I hate the phrase "show me you can do it better" because railway modelling is a hobby, not a competition, but in this case, like Barry, I await your efforts.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Barry.

On the whole i find your work a little too heavy for my uses. Though your work on the Heljan Mk1s and 33 showed a much more interesting minimalist approach

Weathering as we know is very subjective, Perhaps if you could show your reference photos I could accept your singular viewpoint a little better. The LMS twins are a case in point. Whilst they were far from pristine in a relatively steam era world.I cannot find any photographic evidence of a equivalent traffic weathering as per your modelling. Have you perhaps taken a little licence with them in view of certain other aftermarket weathering companies.Less is more and subtlety brings its own rewards.

If you should happen to have a Lima or Hornby Western lying around.Then perhaps you could try and do a subtle version of 1063 Western Envoy as per :

http://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/Archive-Images/52s/D1001-11-05-74-KENNYO-ST%20AUSTELL-TAU-STEPHEN%20BURDETT.jpg.

I'm sure such an iconic weathering job would be a good selling point against a backdrop of accurate reference material.

I look forward to your future posts with interest.

kind regards

Daz 

As the client for the LMS twins.

They were done to a photograph as is most of Barry's work. Remember that in the 50's most of the locos were steam and atmospheric pollution was far greater than today. Neither was the stock too clean. Do not compare these with the state of the modern fleet.

No clean air act and mostly coal fires. I can remember going home on a bus with the conductor walking in front with a torch !!!

Nick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No paint on these, I use diluted inks then powder.

I do use diluted paint washes sometimes (some of the stock on Shap is done this way to match more of the owner's stock) but, if anything goes wrong with the ink I can adjust it more easily.

Baz

Well,having purchased a new gas cylinder and cleared my diary between deployments I have come up with this.

20171205 171701 resized

:

Still a work in progress but the ilnk provides the reference i'm workng from:

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpipe/e886869a

and the other side:

20171205 171612 resized

with relevant link:

and a detail photo.

20171205 171342 resized

Sorry to bounce your thread, But you did ask.

Best wishes

Daz.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Another loco for Grantham, the Streamliner years... a J69 built and painted by Tony Wright.

post-7650-0-76595600-1512510744_thumb.jpg

again, weathered using photographs from the layout owner (including some B&W in a couple of instances which don't give the colours but do give the locations  of the dirt.

Baz

• Like 1

Long long ago lmost half a lifetime in fact I was commissioned to do a two tone green Hymek with small yellow warning panel. Detailed,glazed. Etched brass numbers. Works plates etc.

I duly did the work and was paid handsomely.£35 was a lot of money then,doubling the value of the loco.

I posted it back to the customer and heard nothing more.Then a few weeks later I got a call from another rework modeller. My customer was unhappy with my repaint though the detailing was fine.

I asked the problem. The customer apparently insisted that Hymeks have white skirts. It seems that particular customer only had Black & White photos to reference.

So beware of the shades of grey, however many they may be. Nothing is better than colour or a site visit.

I can't paint from black and white though it does aid building.

If you don't have good reference material.You are no more use than a colour blind bomb disposal expert.

Nobody pays for guesswork.

Daz.

• Like 1

Well,having purchased a new gas cylinder and cleared my diary between deployments I have come up with this.

:

Still a work in progress but the ilnk provides the reference i'm workng from:

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpipe/e886869a

and the other side:

with relevant link:

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpipe/e7aed649

and a detail photo.

Sorry to bounce your thread, But you did ask.

Best wishes

Daz.

I personally much prefer this approach if at all possible. Great stuff. I do understand why it might not always be though.

• Like 1