Hi guys,

Many thanks for your words of concern over my detached retina operation today, much appreciated. Its all over now and as far as I can tell all is well, if only they had given me a black eye patch I could have gone out as a pirate! Oh arrr Jim lad.

Sorry to hear the sad news about Jock (67B) he fought the 'big C' all the way,sincere condolences to Joanne and his family.

Modelling is obviously suspended but I'm sure I'll still be able to run some trains in the meantime.

Good to chat with you today mate and so glad the opp went so well, Look forward to seeing you again soon,

AND NOW YOU CAN SEE ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good to chat with you today mate and so glad the opp went so well, Look forward to seeing you again soon,

AND NOW YOU CAN SEE ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :no:  :no: :no: 

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: 

Mike, not too sure you would want to.

Glad to hear all went well. :good:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics mike & good luck with the "pork pie" at the clinic.

Just out of intrest..ive noticed the wire & post fencing on the embankment,did you scratch build that or is it the ratio one?

Only asking as im planning on having some on my own layout but not sure yet on how id scratch build it.

Cheers

Ben

Great pics mike & good luck with the "pork pie" at the clinic.

Just out of intrest..ive noticed the wire & post fencing on the embankment,did you scratch build that or is it the ratio one?

Only asking as im planning on having some on my own layout but not sure yet on how id scratch build it.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

Its scratchbuilt with thin plastruct rectangular section for the rails and the Ratio fence posts, I did not want the plastic wire Ratio supply as the fence was welded flat steel section not round section.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

I know BR fitters were not know for being able to make steam generators work very well but if the one in the Sulzer Type 2 was working I am a bit concerned that the passengers on board the morning all stations Carlisle-Hellifield stopper will be a tad cold with no trough steam pipe on them vans. Or are they made of sturdier stuff up north.

Hi Mike

I know BR fitters were not know for being able to make steam generators work very well but if the one in the Sulzer Type 2 was working I am a bit concerned that the passengers on board the morning all stations Carlisle-Hellifield stopper will be a tad cold with no trough steam pipe on them vans. Or are they made of sturdier stuff up north.

Steam heating in the height of summer! Even the southerners wouldn't complain - would they? As for the fitters ability on the Stones or Spanner boilers, well I never had any problems with them in my days as a fitter, I just made myself scarce when I heard one needed looking at!!!! They frightened the living daylights out of most of us 'new' lads, the old hands e.g. steam era fitters looked upon them as toy train boilers.

• Like 6

Hi guys,

A couple of things on the go over the past few days:

1. I am currently motorising the semaphores using a 'Megapoints' unit with servo motors, I even have random double pull when pulling 'off' and again random bounce when returning to 'on', it looks great. They are not refitted to the layout as yet as I only have the plain ones finished and still have the two bracket signals to do, it will be soon though.

2. The other thing is the Anhydrite wagons, well the first 5 anyway are now ready to receive the transfers which I only ordered from Railtec Transfers on Monday and they arrived today to a special order as they were not a general stock item, fantastic service from Steve at Railtec. www.railtec-models.com

Will keep you all posted on developments!

• Like 5

Hi all,

Just been to the Manchester DCC Group's MRX exhibition in the transport museum, excellent show if anyone is trying to decide. Picked up a new Standard 4 2-6-0 76114, this was a 67A Corkerhill regular and I must have cabbed it numerous times and probably had a few unofficial trips up and down the depot yard also, it will appear on the layout in due course following weathering etc.

• Like 6

Hello Mike I was at Liverpool show with Roundtrees sidings layout. Sat talking to Peter Scott and Gary Nightingale in West Kirby. Would like to see your layout next time I am down. Lee

Hello Mike I was at Liverpool show with Roundtrees sidings layout. Sat talking to Peter Scott and Gary Nightingale in West Kirby. Would like to see your layout next time I am down. Lee

Hi Lee,

I know both of them and 'Scotty' will be coming here on Friday, just let me know when you are next in the area and we can arrange something, my usual running nights are Wednesday & Friday 7.30 onward, A weekend is possible if I'm not out and about.

• Like 2

Hi Lee,

I know both of them and 'Scotty' will be coming here on Friday, just let me know when you are next in the area and we can arrange something, my usual running nights are Wednesday & Friday 7.30 onward, A weekend is possible if I'm not out and about.

Lets see 6pm, leave Swad in ten minutes and be with you for say 7.45?

Naaaaaaaa, I'm knackered sorry mate. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :scared:  

Steam heating in the height of summer! Even the southerners wouldn't complain - would they? As for the fitters ability on the Stones or Spanner boilers, well I never had any problems with them in my days as a fitter, I just made myself scarce when I heard one needed looking at!!!! They frightened the living daylights out of most of us 'new' lads, the old hands e.g. steam era fitters looked upon them as toy train boilers.

Stone boilers arn't too bad.  The Vapor Clarksons on the tanker as aux boilers only blew up occasionally.  Quindao was rather spectacular, but not where I pulled the fire extinguisher off the rack- that was at home in Esquimalt, when one fired rather unexpectedly, before completing a purge.  (BANG !).  Cleaned the soot off everything in the boiler room, and I only needed a new set of underwear...but either they worked, or we had no hot water for showers.  Ergo, we made them work.

(Quindao had the fireball go up the funnel instead...apparently to a bit of alarm from the Peoples Liberation Army Navy, PLAN)

James

• Like 3