Devons Road was the first "converted" steam shed to house diesel locomotives, it still had a sizable steam allocation. Ipswich was the first shed with an all diesel allocation after its steam locos had been reallocated or withdrawn.

Now this is a very poor admission, I don't know which shed was the first new build diesel shed. 

Hi Clive

That makes sense, thanks. I'm opting for a choice between Finsbury Park or Tinsley.

• RMweb Premium

Mike yes you can't move livestock but it is to clean everything which may have been infected.

In this case some other weathering colours can be used to cover the lime up.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

That makes sense, thanks. I'm opting for a choice between Finsbury Park or Tinsley.

Hi Mike

I think Ripple Lane, Marsh lane (Temple Mills) and the diesel shed at Colchester were all in use before Finsbury Park. Tinsley was quite a late starter and not opened until 1965ish. Also while thinking about ER sheds, Hitchin, the DMU shed and Cambridge, Lincoln, and DMU shed at Norwich were all early build and on new sites. 

What are the presumably unpleasant effects of lime that resulted in it being banned? Must've been bad if it was stopped that long ago.

Maybe it was thought that lime didn't have any effect on nasty organisms, after all it was only limewash not quicklime and it wasn't worth the labour and cost. I don't suppose we'll ever know the reason for it now unless it is documented somewhere. It was only a year or two after grouping so maybe there were big four discussions on it which resulted in its demise.

Edward

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What are the presumably unpleasant effects of lime that resulted in it being banned? Must've been bad if it was stopped that long ago.

It certainly seems to have been injurious to animals which is undoubtedly one reason why it was banned judging by various contemporaneous comments.  However I the main reason, judging by the content of the 1927 order was to greatly improve hygiene to reduce the chances of infection and the spread of infection allowed by the availability of far more effective disinfectants as the Instructions specifically mention the need to not only very thoroughly clean cattle wagons etc after they have been unloaded but also to disinfect them and to clean and disinfect facilities where animals are loaded and unloaded - the latter being subject to Ministry inspection 'at any time'.

The 1927 Order deals specifically with cases where it is suspected (by a Ministry Inspector) that a diseased animal has been carried in a railway vehicle or has passed through railway owned pens etc and the railways were required to carry out such additional disinfection as was directed by a written notice served on them by the Inspector  (Para 26 of the 1927 Order)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike, No show for some considerable time, I hope your O.K. mate.

Hi Andy,

Cheers mate, I am suffering with a nasty chest infection which will not go away, off work and not in the den now that really means I've got proper man flu. I've only had an occasional look at RMWeb over the last fortnight and certainly got nothing new myself to put on, I was in the process of removing all the couplings on the diesel fleet and fitting 'goalpost' bars in order to fit the bufferbeam details to both ends and select a suitable headcode for train types. Previously I was using one end only with detail preventing coupling use at the other, all will be well in the end - including me! -  I hope Hahaha

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Cheers mate, I am suffering with a nasty chest infection which will not go away, off work and not in the den now that really means I've got proper man flu. I've only had an occasional look at RMWeb over the last fortnight and certainly got nothing new myself to put on, I was in the process of removing all the couplings on the diesel fleet and fitting 'goalpost' bars in order to fit the bufferbeam details to both ends and select a suitable headcode for train types. Previously I was using one end only with detail preventing coupling use at the other, all will be well in the end - including me! -  I hope Hahaha

Good to hear from you mate, I got a nasty Cold that started when I got home from the Manchester Show  on 5th Dec and it was still with me when I went out for a meal on 3 Jan, it really is a lingering one, and I still have a bit of a cough from it.

Get well mate, all the best.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Seeing as I'm forcing myself to feel better I'm off with my mates to Stafford tomorrow, always a good show and worth the 160 mile round trek, I doubt I'll be buying any stock unless the price is moderate, I see Hornby have just announced some new rolling stock again at second mortgage prices, e.g. the Stanier Period III coaches are £44.95 ea. A rake of 12 for Dent would be almost £540 and with a decent (non DCC) loco at the head you can round that up to £700 easily, thankfully one decision I got right over the years gone by was to continue buying loco's and stock when prices were more acceptable. I can partially justify the hike in locomotive costs given the mechanics involved but rolling stock are primarily empty boxes! I can see the hobby pricing itself out of the market in the next ten years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Seeing as I'm forcing myself to feel better I'm off with my mates to Stafford tomorrow, always a good show and worth the 160 mile round trek, I doubt I'll be buying any stock unless the price is moderate, I see Hornby have just announced some new rolling stock again at second mortgage prices, e.g. the Stanier Period III coaches are £44.95 ea. A rake of 12 for Dent would be almost £540 and with a decent (non DCC) loco at the head you can round that up to £700 easily, thankfully one decision I got right over the years gone by was to continue buying loco's and stock when prices were more acceptable. I can partially justify the hike in locomotive costs given the mechanics involved but rolling stock are primarily empty boxes! I can see the hobby pricing itself out of the market in the next ten years.

I'm grateful that any passenger traffic on KL2 will be limited to 5-6 coaches - by my choice, and freight will always be pre-dominant.

I worry about the long-term future of the hobby given the already aging cross-section of those involved. Maybe the costs need to be compared to other middle-age (and older) activities - such as golf, or (in my case, other than railways) astronomy. The latest telescope and observatory come in at around 10k, so a few locos and sets of coaches then seem reasonable.

Passenger stock has never really appealed to me on my layouts, so maybe a good number of kits for freight trains will keep me happy in the years to come.

Nice to see you back on Dent, Mike. Take care with your health and enjoy the trip to Stafford.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

You have to look at the detail levels on the new stock to see why they cost more; in every respect they make older coaches look like cheap toys and to get them to the same level of detail as the new stuff would cost you at least as much per item, as well as a lot of time and skill. But a few at a time and split the cost is my view.

Another thought is that there is little point in a super detailed loco pulling crap coaches as one element lets the rest down. Same with wagons.

• Like 1

You have to look at the detail levels on the new stock to see why they cost more; in every respect they make older coaches look like cheap toys and to get them to the same level of detail as the new stuff would cost you at least as much per item, as well as a lot of time and skill. But a few at a time and split the cost is my view.

Another thought is that there is little point in a super detailed loco pulling crap coaches as one element lets the rest down. Same with wagons.

I agree in principle Jason and I have indeed updated many if not most of my items over the past years with this very issue in mind but my current gripe is as Donald Trump would say "FAKE PRICES" for instance; Oxford Rail manufacture a really nice well detailed Cattle wagon and it retails at £10.50, the Bachmann offering is £17.95, Dapol is £10.81 and Hornby's version is a massive £21.99 for essentially the same thing, so the lesson is, you can have a really nice cattle train for less than half price if you choose well, this of course crosses over to many other items................ Rip-Off-Britain at its best mate.

Don't forget to call in one day if your passing, it would be nice to see you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bl**dy  ridiculous contrast in prices - so long as the models are comparable.

Also glad that I bought a number of Bachmann cattle wagons when the "latest revamp" came out in 2013(?) They certainly weren't anywhere near £18 then, otherwise KL's cattle dock would have been vaporised by a meteorite impact and scrapped!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I guess RTR prices don't affect me as it is very rare that I buy any. Having little time to do any modelling nowadays, I tend to just build kits as I can start and finish at my leisure. Much cheaper, even factoring in Lanarkside buffers. I do have a ridiculous number of them now though, and at present have 12 in store waiting to be built.

P.s. Would love to pop round again :)

• Like 1

Bl**dy  ridiculous contrast in prices - so long as the models are comparable.

Also glad that I bought a number of Bachmann cattle wagons when the "latest revamp" came out in 2013(?) They certainly weren't anywhere near £18 then, otherwise KL's cattle dock would have been vaporised by a meteorite impact and scrapped!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes they are comparable in all aspects - other than cost that is!

I guess RTR prices don't affect me as it is very rare that I buy any. Having little time to do any modelling nowadays, I tend to just build kits as I can start and finish at my leisure. Much cheaper, even factoring in Lanarkside buffers. I do have a ridiculous number of them now though, and at present have 12 in store waiting to be built.

P.s. Would love to pop round again :)

Jason,

Just PM me if you get a chance. Years ago I considered wagon kits as expensive due to the time involved in constructing and finishing them compared to RTR versions, now I'm in the other camp and have a stack of Parkside and Cambrian kits to build, satisfying too.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Following my trip to Stafford yesterday I had most of today in the den carrying out some loco detailing but first some playtime!

post-5296-0-70528100-1486310948_thumb.jpg

Class 9F 92058 runs south through Dent station as the early morning light illuminates the scene.

post-5296-0-55944800-1486310949_thumb.jpg

Northbound we see EE Type 4 D210 'Empress of Britain' hauling fish empties up to the west coast of Scotland.

post-5296-0-69275100-1486310950_thumb.jpg

The fish empties will leave a distinct odour in Dentdale for a short while as it passes by!

post-5296-0-76316900-1486310951_thumb.jpg

The 9F has an easy downhill run with its heavyweight steel tube load

post-5296-0-86566300-1486310952_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-79995500-1486310953_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-89709900-1486310954_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-38050200-1486310956_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-33039900-1486310957_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-30401900-1486310958_thumb.jpg

If you look closely at the above photos you will see the initial installation of the signal cables especially the rather unusual wandering route to the 'Up Distant' as it passes over the back of the 'up' waiting room and along the embankment, this is actually prototypical and the original galvanised posts are still in place to this day.

cont/...

• Like 9

post-5296-0-73454400-1486312685_thumb.jpg

A brace of ex:MR Class 3F 0-6-0s adjacent to each other due to a signal check, the crews discuss putting the world right just as the the signal is pulled off.

post-5296-0-61757500-1486312686_thumb.jpg

Proper workhorses

post-5296-0-36573600-1486312687_thumb.jpg

Here we have a little Eastern promise in the shape of a Q6 on a coal working south. 

post-5296-0-10679300-1486312688_thumb.jpg

A momentary view of the future as BRCW Type 2 D5331 hauls ballast spoil north.

post-5296-0-80130700-1486312688_thumb.jpg

Following on is Fairburn 2-6-4T 42073 with the afternoon stopper from Hellifield to Carlisle which has milk empties in tow for the Appleby Express Dairies.

post-5296-0-52622200-1486312689_thumb.jpg

The odd route of the 'Up distant' cable is clearly seen along the embankment in this view.

post-5296-0-26918400-1486312690_thumb.jpg

Peak Type 4 D1 'Scafell Pike' is hauling a ballast working south.

post-5296-0-69593400-1486312691_thumb.jpg

Some good detail shows up in this view, loco pipes and newly fitted crossbar in place of the standard NEM coupling, this has now been done to most diesels in the fleet with the rest to follow. Other items of interest are the new signal wires, permanent way ephemera, ground signal etc.

post-5296-0-65899700-1486312692_thumb.jpg

The Peak continues south past a Brake Tender in the siding.

Cont/...

• Like 12

post-5296-0-77361600-1486317873_thumb.jpg

BR Sulzer Type 2 D7645 bursts out of Widdale tunnel with Kingmoor unfitted freight.

post-5296-0-77459000-1486317874_thumb.jpg

The Type 2 passes the signalbox and permanent way clutter at the lineside.

post-5296-0-58495100-1486317875_thumb.jpg

As the unfitted freight continues north a southbound unfitted freight is seen emerging from under the Coal Road bridge hauled by Ivatt 2-6-0 43096.

post-5296-0-47959400-1486317876_thumb.jpg

The Ivatt is held at signals which gives the opportunity to see what is happening around the goods yard.

post-5296-0-41088000-1486317877_thumb.jpg

The 4MT awaits the 'off'

post-5296-0-41356000-1486317878_thumb.jpg

43096 gets the road and is about to cross Widdale viaduct.

post-5296-0-49784900-1486317879_thumb.jpg

In the opposite direction ex:LNER B1 61354 is powering a fitted freight northbound. The signal cables in this view show up well.

post-5296-0-53401000-1486317880_thumb.jpg

The B1 trundles through the station.

post-5296-0-23642900-1486317882_thumb.jpg

Emerging from Rise Hill tunnel is the last member of the BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0 76114 on a short parcels service and will stop at the station.

That's it for now guys.

post-5296-0-44863000-1486317881_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good to see you recharged and playing trains, Mike. The pics are up to the standard we expect. Particularly like the crew repairing the walling!

Can I ask where you got your largest trees from? I may get round to making some of my own in the future, but at present I've acquired a few wire-wound specimens from The Model Tree Shop.

Hope the health is on the up!

Jeff