Hi Guys, your all intriguing me with point building, and as with a lot of things I want to learn not just how to do it, but how to do it properly, I may just try one before I order all the ones for Bitton, as I'm sure that if one works there's no reason why I cant do all of them.

I will need 2 x 48'' Left, 2 x 48'' Right, 2 x 36'' Left and about a 54'' Right and a 72'' Y. That's taking the Marcway plans but until I get the board tops in position then I wont know for sure if they'll work.

The whole thing will be built around the Trailing Point and curved Single Slip that Jason is building, that MUST be the first thing to be offered into position so that I can work out where the rest will go.

Now I have my work bench in position I have the facilities to do the job, all I need is to get some power into the Shed.

Come on Electrician WHERE ARE YOU?

Andy

Unless my maths have deserted me that's 8 turnouts?

Cost from Marcway £200 ish

Build yourself - about £45? - and they fit where/ how you want them to.

You have presumably soldered wires to track - track to PCB is no more difficult.

If you have a soldering iron and a few files, plus either a small vice or a clamp or two you don't need anything else apart from the gauges, and something to cut the rail and sleepers (Xuron track cutters are ideal, but not essential).

Sorry for hijacking Mikes thread for a moment longer - if you are wondering how long this takes: my first one took 4 1/2 hours, I can now do a basic turnout in about two hours. Expect to scrap one or two of your first attempts.

For a first attempt I used an SMP kit (a cheap, and I thought, expendable way to obtain enough rail and sleepers for a first attempt, just to prove to myself that I could do it). Cost = about £6.50. Result = rubbish, but it worked!

After that ordered from C & L - I find that I can build 6 x B6 turnouts ( about the equivalent size, give or take, to Peco large radius (B6 is slightly bigger) - (don't worry about the terminology (B6)) -it's not important at this stage - using one pack of rail and two packs of sleepers from C & L.

One thing is: don't use the SMP template if you go down this route - use something from Templot: there are any number of us on here who can provide you with these.

Even if you spend 4 hours on each turnout (one afternoon?) you could make them all in just over a week! If you make one a week they might just be ready by the time you are ready to stick them to the base boards.

Then all you need is some grass (Hahaha)

Edited by sp1
  • Like 1

Sorry for hijacking Mikes thread for a moment longer - if you are wondering how long this takes: my first one took 4 1/2 hours, I can now do a basic turnout in about two hours. Expect to scrap one or two of your first attempts.

For a first attempt I used an SMP kit (a cheap, and I thought, expendable way to obtain enough rail and sleepers for a first attempt, just to prove to myself that I could do it). Cost = about £6.50. Result = rubbish, but it worked!

After that ordered from C & L - I find that I can build 6 x B6 turnouts ( about the equivalent size, give or take, to Peco large radius (B6 is slightly bigger) - (don't worry about the terminology (B6)) -it's not important at this stage - using one pack of rail and two packs of sleepers from C & L.

One thing is: don't use the SMP template if you go down this route - use something from Templot: there are any number of us on here who can provide you with these.

Even if you spend 4 hours on each turnout (one afternoon?) you could make them all in just over a week! If you make one a week they might just be ready by the time you are ready to stick them to the base boards.

Hi Steve, I have some Marcway turnout templates so I will use one of those, I would be interested to continue this discussion in Bitton to save clogging up Mike wonderful  thread any more. 

Cheers Steve.

• Like 1

A Scotsman that doesn't DRINK, what is the world coming to, it means I'll need two shots in my coffee later, hahhaha.

Good to know the Jim Slip is sorted and you'll soon be back to the grass, I should be at that stage in about 12 Months time I hope, but I will need an open day before then, hahhaha.

All the best mate, have a good day.

Hi Andy,

Sorry could not get on the forum yesterday.

The not drinking label was not by choice, at the time I suffered what was thought to be an Aneurism, luckily it was not, but I have chosen not to bother since, reason 24/7 headaches and no-one knows what it is, isn't life wonderful! Now you can understand my rash behaviour ripping up the slip! Haha

The alignment was a nightmare - adjusting one bit always seems to throw another out. I found soldering the whole thing rather tricky too. It was very satisfying to see once it was (mostly) finished and (mostly) worked though. I've decided that I find hand-built track very rewarding, even when it is frustrating. At some point in the future I've got a three-way turnout coming up, that should be fun, I've not even got my head around how they work let alone how to build one... Don't think there's one at Dent.

Is your slip curving as well? That sounds even trickier!

Hi, Sorry could not get on the forum yesterday evening.

Yes the main line is on a gentle curve but the slip on the siding has a curve from main line into siding combined with a tighter radius from the lye-by to the Down Main, all very confusing!

• Like 4

Does the grass make the time pass quicker?

Hi Mike, 

love the layout, but one thing, wouldn't the lead flashing be placed over the tiles to keep the rain out rather than under? I'm not criticising, just trying to be helpful. Keep up the fabulous work.

attachicon.gifflashing.jpg

Boogy

Edit due to bad english.

Hi Boogy,

From what knowledge I have apparently in very exposed locations any flashing will suffer from strong winds lifting it up and ripping it clean off therefore the solution is to place it under the slates/tiles and further lead flashing directs the flow of rain out and over the slates/tiles a little lower down the roof. Its basically the same principle as the 'valleys' found when two roof sections intersect, you find the lead valley under the slates/tiles. I am willing to be proved wrong so if you think I am just let me know and look out for verson "2". Thanks for your input, it merits discussion indeed.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I have some Marcway turnout templates so I will use one of those, I would be interested to continue this discussion in Bitton to save clogging up Mike wonderful  thread any more. 

Cheers Steve.

Hi Andy, Steve,

I have no problem with the discussion on here, you are all very welcome BUT WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU BOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

• Like 3

H all,

Just an update on the week's progress. I had success following the ballasting operations, last night we had trains running without incident through all the points and the main line slip which have now all been fettled and ballasted. Over the weekend I will complete the slip ballasting on the Down refuge and that will be the whole scenic section finally finished as far as track is concerned. Photos will follow over the weekend.

• Like 6

Hi Mike, sorry to hear the real reason for not drinking, I don't drink in reality, but now I might just have a small shot of the BROWN STUFF in a coffee at bedtime. I used to drink a lot of Whisky but when the Drink Driving Laws got tougher and I was a Car Salesman I couldn't afford to lose my licence as my contract stated that I would automatically lose my job as well. 

I once knew another Scotsman that didn't drink, that's because he'd sewn up his pockets, hahhahhahah

All the best mate and I'm certainly glad you've got your Slip sorted, and can now have a weekend of playing trains and taking some more wonderful pics.

• Like 4

Morning Mike,

That slip was a real trial of your patience - surprised it didn't drive you back to drink! You gave up for the very best reasons however. I followed the Scottish archetype as alluded to by Andy, although surprisingly (as demonstrated to Joanna and my nurse daughter by my friendly oncologist who even showed them the CT scan as evidence!) without damage to my liver. My medication now means that I have had to moderate my habit and I have an occasional cider if gardening or the like, and of course I am a lover of wine with dinner, but again not too much. Delighted to say that I've recently been told that a small nip of the 'water of life' as a nightcap is in fact good for me!

Interesting comment on the lead flashing as I've seen lots of such examples from Orkney to Cornwall in exposed areas. Quite a few in the higher regions of the 'Highlands' too although, to be honest I haven't given them much thought until now - possibly because I'm a low lander? Don't think I fit Andy's 'tight' description though - Joanna, a qualified accounts person, took over our money matters because my generosity, especially towards grand children would break us! Thanks for the entertainment and I now look forward to further images this weekend. Splendid workmanship as usual,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

Hi guys,

All this talk of the "water of life" is moistening my mouth!!!

I'm really heartened to see Andy thinking about track construction, it is very therapeutic if done slowly with no time limits and so satisfying to have "done it yourself", I really must get back into it!

Very pleased to see Mikes slip done, hope it all works smoothly for you.

Finally re: Scots "Tightness"(!), almost all the Scots I have met have always been very generous in one way or another, had I been able to choose my nationality at birth I think I would have chosen the Highlands, now why don't I model that, he, he, he!?!

Cheers guys and have a great weekend!

John.

• Like 4

Hi guys,

All this talk of the "water of life" is moistening my mouth!!!

I'm really heartened to see Andy thinking about track construction, it is very therapeutic if done slowly with no time limits and so satisfying to have "done it yourself", I really must get back into it!

Very pleased to see Mikes slip done, hope it all works smoothly for you.

Finally re: Scots "Tightness"(!), almost all the Scots I have met have always been very generous in one way or another, had I been able to choose my nationality at birth I think I would have chosen the Highlands, now why don't I model that, he, he, he!?!

Cheers guys and have a great weekend!

John.

Hi John, Jock and Mike, yes the tight Scotsman joke was probably in bad taste, my neighbour is a Scotsman and I have to say that he is the BEST neighbour Dee and I have ever had, not only is he helpful but he has a wicked sense of humour as well, a really great chappie.

Having met  Mike on a couple of occasions now, I think I would say that he's the same.

As for being born in Scotland, well I was Born in Plymouth, Devon, as most of you know, almost as far from Scotland as you can get without being a Pastie eating Cornishman, (now I've offended my Cousin and Family) but my Grandmother wanted me to be named ANDREW as she loved Scotland.

I wont tell you what my Dad wanted me called, :O he was expecting a girl, :no: hahhaha.

Anyway, I digress, the reason for my visit this morning is that the stupid clocks have not aligned with my body, or should that be the other way around? anyway I'm nearly ready for my 11's, and wanted to see if Mike had a running session last night. 

• Like 1

Hi John, Jock and Mike, yes the tight Scotsman joke was probably in bad taste, my neighbour is a Scotsman and I have to say that he is the BEST neighbour Dee and I have ever had, not only is he helpful but he has a wicked sense of humour as well, a really great chappie.

Having met  Mike on a couple of occasions now, I think I would say that he's the same.

As for being born in Scotland, well I was Born in Plymouth, Devon, as most of you know, almost as far from Scotland as you can get without being a Pastie eating Cornishman, (now I've offended my Cousin and Family) but my Grandmother wanted me to be named ANDREW as she loved Scotland.

I wont tell you what my Dad wanted me called, :O he was expecting a girl, :no: hahhaha.

Anyway, I digress, the reason for my visit this morning is that the stupid clocks have not aligned with my body, or should that be the other way around? anyway I'm nearly ready for my 11's, and wanted to see if Mike had a running session last night. 

Unfortunately not Andrew! I had one on Friday night after lifting the possession but with having to ballast the siding' slip the possession is back on. Pics will follow later, not a lot of them but something a little different shall we say!

As for names Andrew, I am constantly confused as my forename translates into Hebrew for "He who is like the Lord" and my surname to "Magnus, 1st King of Norway" look it up if you don't believe me. I just refer to myself as being "The Jewish Viking". :jester: 

• Like 5

Hahah a Mate, we may be related as there is Jewish in our Family, mind you we also had one member of the Family Deported from Cornwall to Australia and was mentioned in Ned Kellys Biography. hahhah.

Hi Andy,

have you done some family tree history? I haven't, not interested at all but the wife God bless her started a few years ago and got very exited one day telling me she had traced her great grandfather who was a shipbuilder in DERBY! I quickly pointed out that the nearest sea was at least 80 miles away, I didn't get bored with any more of it after that as she gave up Haha.

Look in later!

• Like 3

Hi all,

Just a little 'Era Hopping' again! My mate Andy came around on Friday night with some further modern stock with the excuse that its never run! So as not to offend I did the right thing and these are the results, just a gallery, hope you enjoy, I did!

post-5296-0-91059400-1414345289.jpg

post-5296-0-37563200-1414345300.jpg

post-5296-0-74226400-1414345310.jpg

post-5296-0-22994100-1414345319.jpg

post-5296-0-16331700-1414345333.jpg

post-5296-0-89943200-1414345341.jpg

post-5296-0-49649700-1414345351.jpg

post-5296-0-61156400-1414345363.jpg

• Like 8

Hi all,

My next posting will be asking some advice on signalling, so please get your thinking caps on as it will be a bit of a compromise I'm looking for, but more importantly I'm having tea!

Hi Andy,

have you done some family tree history? I haven't, not interested at all but the wife God bless her started a few years ago and got very exited one day telling me she had traced her great grandfather who was a shipbuilder in DERBY! I quickly pointed out that the nearest sea was at least 80 miles away, I didn't get bored with any more of it after that as she gave up Haha.

Look in later!

No but we had a Cousin of my Dads that researched it and then I lost contact with them so it never went any further.

Hi all,

Just a little 'Era Hopping' again! My mate Andy came around on Friday night with some further modern stock with the excuse that its never run! So as not to offend I did the right thing and these are the results, just a gallery, hope you enjoy, I did!

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.36.17.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.36.30.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.39.47.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.39.59.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.40.14.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.48.09.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.48.53.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-10-27 20.51.35.jpg

HELP, I'll go and get my Sun Glasses,

WOW what cracking pics mate, it was one of my favourite new Liveries in its day, and George T of this parish repainted a Dapol Class 56 into that Livery for me many years ago when it first came out

Some great shots,

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Hi all,

The next two photos show the two signals I have stripped down and partially reconfigured to suit the Up and Down bracket signals found at Dent.

post-5296-0-17301300-1414348886.jpg

Here the 'Up' starter frames a 9F on a van train.

post-5296-0-25869800-1414348892.jpg

This one on the 'Down' frames a WD on coal empties while a 'Jinty' awaits its release behind

Now then, this is my dilemma. As you know I used a little 'modellers licence' at the southbound exit by creating 'Widdale' Tunnel and Viaduct, now I would think it quite sensible to install a signal here as a focal point and something of railway related interest. I have selected two candidates shown below and would be very pleased to hear the pro's and con's of each or indeed if you think there would be something completely different.

post-5296-0-09159900-1414348913.jpg

post-5296-0-09162400-1414348922.jpg

Any info or suggestions welcome....

• Like 6

My next instalment is on the station building. Here it is as left earlier in the year...

post-5296-0-57835600-1414350316.jpg

And following a couple of coats of Humbrol No.84 this is the result...

post-5296-0-34527300-1414350364.jpg

post-5296-0-10958600-1414350370.jpg

Obviously a long way to go yet but at least its one colour!

• Like 6

Here we can finish the weekend with a gallery back in Era 5!

post-5296-0-03634400-1414350658.jpg

Class 9F 92233 is held at the 'Up' Starter awaiting a clear road on an express van train for Stourton in Leeds. The signalman is slowing all traffic due to recent permanent way works. Great for trainspotters! (Used earlier I know)

post-5296-0-13438700-1414350664.jpg

WD 2-8-0 is held at the 'Down' Home with a lightweight load of 16T coal empties leisurely heading for Kingmoor yard. (Also used earlier)

post-5296-0-76762000-1414350670.jpg

The WD is given the road and slowly eases away passing the box' and now almost finished Bothy' with its slated roof looking good!

post-5296-0-44171600-1414350676.jpg

Both the heavyweights pass each other alongside the small good yard a Dent.

post-5296-0-02782900-1414350682.jpg

The scene viewed looking north

post-5296-0-20772100-1414350688.jpg

The WD is held again at the 'Down' starter (probably gave the signalman a mouthful!)

post-5296-0-99196700-1414350695.jpg

Underneath the arches!

post-5296-0-32902400-1414350703.jpg

Overhead view using flash - not so happy using the flash. You can make out the newly painted station building in this and the next shot.

post-5296-0-65003900-1414350710.jpg

This overhead flash view is not so bad.

Final few shots to follow...

• Like 9

Hi Mike just catching up. Nice pics of the 37s running as a pair. Now the pic of the signals (as I drool over them lol ) the one on the approach to the tunnel wouldn't have a distance if it was a long one ... due to the next peg at danger. If it was a short tunnel then it could have one. I know there was a banner for the distance somewhere on the S&C but I can't put my finger on the location.

• Like 2