Morning Mike, so now the Bothy is finished whats next, a row of cottages? I don't know the area but I remember reading somewhere that the village is some way away.

I know you said you wanted to cover the Helix with grass, could that be the next task to complete?

Looking forward to the next episode and another step to completion.

All the best mate, have a good time with Jeff and Jason's visit.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan, (& Duncan)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Perspex is a real sod to cut I agree, I too have had lucky escapes with a Stanley knife! Luckily I have a bandsaw which I use for this purpose and others of course. The one I have is of a rather good quality medium industrial grade made redundant when I took over my current work premises but there are several 'hobby' grade versions available which are quite cheap and ideal for this type of work. I would advise if you get one to try using the fence and if you find the cut 'wanders' which it usually does then cut the bles*ed stuff by eye and file to a scribed line which is my preferred method. Drilling is done best on a fast speed setting but don't use a cordless driver as these tend to stick as the drill penetrates through which can easily crack the Perspex.

Mike

You suggested a fine tooth blade on the bandsaw for cutting Perspex. I was wondering whether that type of blade would also be an option for cutting PCB sheet into (sleeper width) strips. Me and hand driven saws are strange bedfellows when it comes to cutting in straight lines!

Mike

You suggested a fine tooth blade on the bandsaw for cutting Perspex. I was wondering whether that type of blade would also be an option for cutting PCB sheet into (sleeper width) strips. Me and hand driven saws are strange bedfellows when it comes to cutting in straight lines!

Hi Ray,

Yes mate I used the same blade for cutting the PCB for Dent's fiddleyard - NO PROBLEMS AT ALL !!! But why? You can get strip from Marcway in Sheffield, I only cut wide sections for baseboard joints. I think its about £14.00 for 10 strips approx 13" long

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments.

We've tried using some thin strip that I think was possibly meant for (maybe 2mm) sleepers to fix the rails too at the edge of our traversers at the club after the original steel bolt in a brass tube soldered to the side of the rail didn't provide a tight enough fit and wasn't electrically reliable enough.

It seems as though the strip - or several fixed side by side - isn't man enough for the job according to reports I've had upon my return from a few days in Wales.

I was being mean and trying to avoid postal charges and purchasing more pre-cut strip than we actually need hence my question about using the bandsaw. I have subsequently ordered some 7mm wide strip from All Components but the wide pieces like you've used look the business and we may have to fall back on that idea so the use of the bandsaw isn't completely ruled out although I appreciate the risks from the dust generated when cutting the sheet.

Thanks Mike, I have noticed that the Chimney Stacks on Bitton are at 90 degrees to the ones on the Hornby model but they can stay as they are.

Bitton's chimneys are actually 90º to each other.

Hi Mike,

Was good seeing you again at the weekend. Just been reading through your 'how to's' with the Perspex buildings which I'm finding fascinating. Can I ask where you get your Perspex from and what thickness do you use. (You've probably mentioned this somewhere and I've missed it).

Ray.

Hi Mike,

Was good seeing you again at the weekend. Just been reading through your 'how to's' with the Perspex buildings which I'm finding fascinating. Can I ask where you get your Perspex from and what thickness do you use. (You've probably mentioned this somewhere and I've missed it).

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Link below for supplier, I use 2mm thick to ensure a good bond and retain rigidity.

Nice to see you and Polly on Saturday, 'Camel Quay' was performing faultlessly so I thought it best to leave it that way and did a runner!!!

Off to work now.....I'd rather be modelling.

www.sheetplastics.co.uk/perspex-sheet

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

Last night I took it upon myself to attend to some problems with the slip on the siding, after spending 2 hours tickling it with a file and whatever I ended up ripping up 75% of the damn*d thing in frustration. Old adage: Must try harder applies!

Morning Mike, sorry to read about your slip up / rip up this morning, is it just one or two bits of stock that causes an issue or almost everything?

Hi Andy,

Skiving at work so dropped in for a look.

Its everything mate. This was the first one I attempted (ever) and without instructions I hadn't a clue to be honest. C&L were next to useless for advice saying 'we have not produced a guide sheet for the slips, just use the instructions from the point kits' - very helpful - NOT! I did get the slip on the main line to perform far better as that was my second attempt and that only needed a few tweaks and it seems to be okay but this one was useless so it had to go. I don't have patience for that type of problem, I can work for days happily with the patience of a saint but when there's a problem and you give it a couple of hours and there's still a problem well that's when I get frustrated and rip things up! Strange thing is I have ripped up all the 'innerds' leaving just the stock rails and frogs and just the blades leading from the lye-by to the siding which have a 10mm gap each end and a wagon runs through this formation without hesitation, must ask Jeff for the answer he's the law of physics man after all cos' I don't have a clue!

Wow Mike, I've got to say that Bothy build is absolutely stunning. I'm not a great fan of the Slaters tiles, but you've done a truly wonderful job of it. Can't wait to see it painted.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I agree with your comment on Slaters but I wanted something different to what that station buildings will have and I also had 6 full sheets of the stuff to use somewhere, this job used just one sheet so 5 to go! Once painted and weathered it should look better - I hope.

• Like 3

That slip is rather more complicated in terms of angles, curves, etc than the one on the main line. You have probably done the right thing in taking it up and starting again.

Hi Joseph,

Yes I would agree on that, perhaps it was not a good idea to jump in on that one but it was off the main line and I thought I would do my practice run on that but with the cost of C&L components your common sense prevails, still its only chairs and rail I'm replacing - I think! When I was doing it I thought it looked pretty good but it was woeful in truth.

Hi Ray,

Link below for supplier, I use 2mm thick to ensure a good bond and retain rigidity.

Nice to see you and Polly on Saturday, 'Camel Quay' was performing faultlessly so I thought it best to leave it that way and did a runner!!!

Hi Mike,

I missed you!!! To be honest, I missed CQ on Saturday too as I was either nattering or helping the US ng layout next door to CQ! Thankfully found them on Sunday though.

T'was a great show I thought!

Catch you next time, maybe?

John E.

Hi Mike,

I missed you!!! To be honest, I missed CQ on Saturday too as I was either nattering or helping the US ng layout next door to CQ! Thankfully found them on Sunday though.

T'was a great show I thought!

Catch you next time, maybe?

John E.

Hi John,

I had no idea you were around these parts, no doubt we will cross paths again on our jolleys! Agree about the show, nice venue, good grub, nice club and good exhibits and good blend of traders, and all only 25 mile from me - happy days!

• Like 2

Hi Mike and John, I was supposed to go to the Show with George T, as he lives at Hazel Grove, Stockport, but I really couldn't face the drive up from here to his place just yet.

I'm going up to Georges tomorrow with a friend to collect Ashcombe, but at least I don't have to drive.

• Like 3

Hi Mike and John, I was supposed to go to the Show with George T, as he lives at Hazel Grove, Stockport, but I really couldn't face the drive up from here to his place just yet.

I'm going up to Georges tomorrow with a friend to collect Ashcombe, but at least I don't have to drive.

Will you or George be at Hazel Grove show next weekend?

Correction Andy! THIS weekend. Doh!

Hi Mike, I'm not booked in for that at the moment, but I will see how I feel after tomorrow, I still get tired very quickly, but I exhibited Loch Leven there a couple of years ago and it was a good little show, its also an excuse to pop into Poynton Garden Centre.

Hi Mike, I'm not booked in for that at the moment, but I will see how I feel after tomorrow, I still get tired very quickly, but I exhibited Loch Leven there a couple of years ago and it was a good little show, its also an excuse to pop into Poynton Garden Centre.

The mention of Garden Centre sends shivers down my spine! Too much hard work involved following too much expense too boot!

I was not thinking of you exhibiting Andy, I just thought with 'George T' living there you may both visit the show.

• Like 3

If we can get there by train we might pop along. (Polly's just checking).

I will be doing my best to get there but the Wallasey show is on the same weekend which is only a few miles away.