Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Sorry I am a bit behind again, but nice to see you back Al. Your new project looks interesting and, hopefully, will give you a nudge back into modelling.

I was getting a bit fed up with Canal Road. I couldn't keep it clean and working properly because of my painful joints. In fact I rarely touched the layout, but after I decided to rebuild and cut down the mojo returned with a vengence, and I have never looked back.

So good luck with your modelling and my best wishes for the future.

Derek

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi glad to see you back on rm web hope your feelin better , the wife saw your holliday photos thought they looked fantastic and now want to go .

Im goin to bakewell to the model rail show lookin forward to a day in sunny bakewell look forward to more up dates mate . :sungum:

Cheers mate, much appreciated. Yeah, it's a lovely area if you get the weather.

Ha, sunny Bakewell it isn't! I've never seen as much rain as we had yesterday evening - the river burst its banks in the space of an hour.

Steam or modern ?

I'll be building it with the steam era track plan, but might run some modern stock occasionally and swap out the station buildings for the modern bus shelters.

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like an interesting project. The scenery is great, really looking forward to seeing your take on this in model form. And if you need any assistance with drawings, posters, etc, please let me know.

(My wife suffers from short bouts of manic depression, and although I don't pretend to know what it really feels like inside, I pretty damn sure know what it can do to a person and the strain it puts on a family.)

Thanks Sierd. Yes it struck me as a nice subject area to model, not flat earth, but some nice contours, and a stream, a tunnel, and a curving station, what's not to like?

Thanks for the offer, I may well need a Rhinoceros on the bridge in the future :)

My regards to you and your wife for working together to deal with her illness. It can be much harder for the partner than the actual sufferer, as I know well.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Model Railways are more about the modelling than the railways- discuss

Ooh, controversial! :)

I have no real background as a "trainspotter" so yes, I think in my case the modelling of a prototype area, and getting it as close as possible to the real thing, is more interesting to me than actually playing trains.

However, that said, I now have a much greater interest in railways in general, and Midland and LMS operation in particular, as a result of the initial wish to model Bakewell.

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I am a bit behind again, but nice to see you back Al. Your new project looks interesting and, hopefully, will give you a nudge back into modelling.

I was getting a bit fed up with Canal Road. I couldn't keep it clean and working properly because of my painful joints. In fact I rarely touched the layout, but after I decided to rebuild and cut down the mojo returned with a vengence, and I have never looked back.

So good luck with your modelling and my best wishes for the future.

Derek

Hi Al, everyone else has said it all, so I will just say all the best mate Adrian.

Thanks Derek, Adrian,

I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the responses I've had. Thank you both, and I'll be catching up on all your threads as I can.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You won't take long getting up to date at Wainfleet and Havenhouse!

Your new plan looks great, but I'm biased as one of the best holidays I've ever had was down the line in Hope. My whole extended family were there, and having the camp site was next to the sewage works didn't seem to matter. This comes from someone who's swum in a bomb crater on a Sunday on Wainfleet bombing range. Shhh, I'll give you a bag of cockles if you don't tell anyone.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, Really glad to see you back mate, sorry to read of your woes, Hope the new project will work for you, where will it be, still in the Basement?

Hi Andy, Thanks very much, great to hear from you.

I will be doing the basic construction of the boards in the cellar, but there isn't room to put it all up there, so the different boards will be scattered round the house. :)

Don't tell Courtney, but her bedroom might be co-opted whilst she's not here...

Al.

• Like 1

Hi Al

Great to see you back posting but I for one don't believe that you need to apologise. The holiday looks great and you certainly had better weather than I'm experiencing in the South West at the moment.

I like the idea of the new project and looking forward to seeing it develop

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

It looks a great place to model ,sounds perfect and no doubt you'll do it justice ,I'll be looking forward to how you do the stream

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, good to have you posting and hopefully modelling again. The Hope Valley Line has not been much modelled on here, I think. It will be good to have a view on another line. Just how much has been swept away is very evident from Google and the map.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Al.

Great to see you back mate and with a new project too! Am looking forward to seeing more of your modeling skills.

The Highlands is a wonderful place to take a holiday, thanks for sharing it. Almost 20 years since I was there with my first wife on our honeymoon. We stayed in Portree and were lucky to get a room as the highland games were on. We also had great weather.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, good to have you posting and hopefully modelling again. The Hope Valley Line has not been much modelled on here, I think. It will be good to have a view on another line. Just how much has been swept away is very evident from Google and the map.

Hi Al.

Great to see you back mate and with a new project too! Am looking forward to seeing more of your modeling skills.

The Highlands is a wonderful place to take a holiday, thanks for sharing it. Almost 20 years since I was there with my first wife on our honeymoon. We stayed in Portree and were lucky to get a room as the highland games were on. We also had great weather.

Regards Shaun.

Hi Jonathan, Shaun, thank you both for your kind words.

Jonathan, I was sort of surprised that there seems to be very little modelling of the "other" Peak District line - and also, as I'm finding, there's very little literature on the subject, either.

I was talking to Glynn Waite and Laurence Knighton this morning, who I'm sure you know have been responsible for a number of books about the Peak line, in particular Rowsley and Hassop, and they were saying they know of one book in production at the moment about the Hope Valley, and that's about it.

Shaun, yes I love the West Coast of Scotland, it's always been my favourite holiday destination, and this year has been exceptional. We nearly always have good weather at this time when we go up, even last year, when it was quite a late start seasonally, we had a few good days. Where else in the UK would you come across Palm Trees flourishing at the side of the road?

post-17302-0-32074700-1465752840_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 6

Fantastic to have you back Al. Just read your PM's. I'll give you a call soon and arrange a visit. 

Really like the look of the new project. A great place to model. Plenty of interesting workings whether steam or modern. Will look forward to seeing it develop.

All the best mate and glad you're feeling better.  

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 2

Good to see you back and about to start a new project I have always liked the Hope Valley used to go up there every autumn in the sixties to ride hill climb cycle races on Winnatts Pass and always had a look at the railway.Nice pubs in Castleton there is a good dvd from 225 studios that goes from Manchester to Sheffield  and has a great deal detail on the line to see plus the scenery can be studied so good luck and remember we are all here to listen it helps me when I get problems similar to you.

• RMweb Gold

Can only echo the above - great to see you back. Relax and enjoy yourself, and take it at your own pace.

Grindleford is a nice choice - I think I have some photos from the late 1970s/early 1980s of the signals and box (from a passing train) - I did visit there once but can't quite recall when it was, either around the same time or the the early 1990s. I'll take a dig one day and see what I have.

The box was replaced by the LMS so won't be in the same position as marked on the OS map.

But enough about Grindleford, that can go in the new thread when you're ready.

• Like 2

Nice to see you back on here posting.

The new project looks a great place to model with its tunnel & bridges,semophore signals etc.

Hope you get stuck back in to modelling

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

I was talking to Glynn Waite and Laurence Knighton this morning, who I'm sure you know have been responsible for a number of books about the Peak line, in particular Rowsley and Hassop, and they were saying they know of one book in production at the moment about the Hope Valley, and that's about it.

I was with Glynn and Laurence today on the stand - a shame I couldn't see you for a chat.

However, I produce the publications for the Midland Railway Society and the Rowsley Association and can confirm that Ted Hancock's book on the Hope Valley railway is being produced by me at Pynot Publishing.

We are striving for an October release but it will be tight  :scratchhead:

But to whet your appetite, all I will say is it will be like the late Bill Hudson's "Through Limestone Hills".... and then some !

I'll post updates on progress when I can.  :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

However, I produce the publications for the Midland Railway Society and the Rowsley Association and can confirm that Ted Hancock's book on the Hope Valley railway is being produced by me at Pynot Publishing.

But to whet your appetite, all I will say is it will be like the late Bill Hudson's "Through Limestone Hills".... and then some !

Looks like one of my Christmas presents is sorted. If it's as good as Bill's then it will be something to really look forward to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was with Glynn and Laurence today on the stand - a shame I couldn't see you for a chat.

As Jonathan says, this sounds like just the book I'm looking for!

I'm sorry I missed you on Sunday, unfortunately I didn't have a great deal of time to spare as I was supposed to be shopping :)

Hope to catch up soon,

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all of you for your comments.

I can now officially announce the Grindleford thread well and truly open...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112086-grindleford-station-hope-valley-line-1960s-br/

I'd be very happy to have any comments, suggestions and information on there for the new project.

Al.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Al, it's been a while since I last looked back into your thread. The stuff you did here is amazing, and very atmospheric.

• Like 1