Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

Al, you're a genius with the plastic strip! Those barrels look the dog's. What a great idea. I ended up using some I found in an old Italieri WW2 bits and bobs kit, but that method looks great - I just need to get some tube.

• RMweb Gold

Al

Just out of interest have you worked out roughly how much you will have saved by making your own "bits & bobs" for the platform?

Also you asked the question so I think you should weather the sacks .... it will definitely improve the way they look.

Great work

Chris O

Chris, I'm sorry I haven't replied to this sooner - I missed your question.

It's a liitle hard to quantify but to give some idea, the total cost of the Dart-Castings items (parcels, sacks, suitcases, mik churns etc) was £20.51

The cost of the raw materials was:

10 x 30 strip                  £3.90 (50 300mm lengths)

10 x 20 strip                  £3.90 (50 300mm lengths)

10mm square tube       £2.90 (3 300mm lengths)

3.2mm round tube        £3.90 (5 300mm lengths)

Total                            £17.50

However, if you look at the volume of raw materials that you get for the money, then you will see I have used a miniscule amount of that purchased - particularly of the 3.2mm tube (two 1mm slivers for wheels) so I could have made at least a hundred crates (even with using the strip all over) for that amount of materials so the saving would be quite extensive.

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Looks like we will all be making our own packing cases.

("I say old boy, is that a 1925 Wolford's Extreme Hardy design, if so the cross sections are 0.1mm too wide and it is a scale 3" too long."  ;) )

On a more serious note have you charged for your time?  How long did they take you to make?

I used to look where you could buy furniture, (00 that is),  and then I started making my own.  It will take forever to finish everything.  And in case you ask, no, I am not going to put furniture in every room in the school once it gets built. (May be one classroom, and the Head's office.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, Yesterday morning I took a camera with me and nipped up to Bakewell Station to see what I could find.

I noticed there was a pile of parcels outside the parcels office, so did this mean there was a train due?

post-17302-0-41543900-1399259681_thumb.jpg

The porters had left their barrows at the station entrance though, so it can't be due for a bit:

post-17302-0-07165900-1399259679_thumb.jpg

Oh, but hang on, what's that one then?

post-17302-0-52267600-1399259669_thumb.jpg

Ah, no, just a load of coal empties with a 3F in charge.

The fireman, Sam Goldstraw, wonders why I'm pointing my camera at him:

post-17302-0-93075100-1399259671_thumb.jpg

(He's never heard any Fireman Sam jokes - it doesn't exist yet...)

The fireman on this 4F seems to have dropped something - or he's watching something in the 6-foot:

post-17302-0-03568300-1399259677_thumb.jpg

Ah, here we are, there's another train:

post-17302-0-31510100-1399260337_thumb.jpg

It's the local Matlock to Millers Dale:

post-17302-0-28379000-1399260339_thumb.jpg

Still using LMS coaching stock, too...

Anyway, got to go, Sunday dinner is calling...

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Attention Bodgit!

You may wish to sit down, and find a good strong cup of tea...

Possibly you may require digestive biscuits for sustenance...

Listen! I have seen TRAINS, and they were MOVING!

Not only that, but I videoed them, too!

Whatever next :O

:D

Al.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

That looks really great Al. It was a big moment when I could get a train around the room. I celebrated this video with one if the stash of Yorkshire tea bags than my mum sent over. :) no biscuits, but managed a slice of apple cake in lieu.

• Like 3

Guest bri.s

Great videos mate, great to see trains running through your station .

Look forward to more .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

That is one cracking model railway,

Rgds.......Mike

Thanks very much Mike, really appreciated.

Great videos mate, great to see trains running through your station .

Look forward to more .

Brian

Cheers Brian, yep, it feels good to finally get something running - even if it's only on DC at the moment, which means "one engine in steam" :)

• RMweb Gold

moving trains.....you can't show that!!! It'll set a precedent, people will expect to see more!!!  :tease:

looking good......you really must paint that back wall blue....

Thanks Jaz, I know, I've done it now...

Serious question, do you think painting that wall would work, or would I be better off blanking it off with hardboard?

Guest bri.s

I started running mine on dc after I'd rewired the layout for dcc so I could test my wiring . Once you start playing with the sound locos though they get addictive and you'll find your build progress slows due to you trying every different possible move you can with one loco ( or is that just me lol)

Here's a silly idea put hard board on the wall and then put a giant photo backscene on it .

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Here's a silly idea put hard board on the wall and then put a giant photo backscene on it .

Brian

Thanks Brian, that's what I was thinking - but it'll have to wait a bit whilst I save up some cash.

• Like 1

Hi Al, you said you'd been up to something and I missed this earlier, it just wonderful to actually see trains running after all the hours of work you've put in on the buildings.

A truly magic moment.

Re the back wall, I think  a blue board for now and a proper backscene as funds permit, its not going to stop the trains running, and that's the priority, DCC and Running.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, you said you'd been up to something and I missed this earlier, it just wonderful to actually see trains running after all the hours of work you've put in on the buildings.

A truly magic moment.

Re the back wall, I think  a blue board for now and a proper backscene as funds permit, its not going to stop the trains running, and that's the priority, DCC and Running.

Thanks Andy, it really feels good to have something running.

There'll be some more videos soon, hopefully.

I'll try and find a lick of blue paint and some hardboard for that wall.

• Like 1

Guest bri.s

I agree with Andrew p , get the trains running (a few freight trains next time please :) ). And blue hard board is better than just the walls . I'm thinking about putting hard board and a cloudy sky photo backscene on the angled roof batterns above the station area and above the cutting and tunnel area just to hide the dark roof .

Brian

• Like 2

Try gluing a small thin piece of foam to the underside of the floor of your Airfix non-corridor LMS coaches above each bogie to stop the body from rocking from side to side. Rowsley's looking impressive - well done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Try gluing a small thin piece of foam to the underside of the floor of your Airfix non-corridor LMS coaches above each bogie to stop the body from rocking from side to side. Rowsley's looking impressive - well done.

Thanks mate, great idea, I was wondering about how to steady them down a bit.

Thank you very much.

Just been catching up Al and I must say you have certainly been busy.

Going back a bit I think the packing cases are great, I looked at some of those when I was at York and thought 'how much' I can make those, so it is good to see how you went about yours and has helped me decide on how to go about it, so a big thanks from me for posting them.

Trains running too hey, I'm getting left behind here and need to make more time for modelling - but the wife just came out with one of those "How long would it take you to........", so it looks as if my time is required elsewhere for a bit.

Good to see your progress though, it's looking great.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, great to see the video it brings it all to life and shows off your buildings a treat, Re: the back wall be careful with hardboard as it's warping propeties are legendary. Fomex might be a better option Freebs might be able to steer you in the right direction with that, (painted brick always looks like painted brick as I well know, and light switches in the sky do as well :O )

all the best Adrian

edit just added a pic to illustrate the difference.

post-17489-0-24689100-1399361107_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, if you paint the hardboard a light gray colour, you could sponge on other shades of gray to look like a storm brewing and then feather out with a brush. Andy Y's photos of Engine Wood in the May BRM were like this and made a brilliant change to blue skies. I'd imagine it would be easier to get a realistic background as well as it'd be more about getting the tone right rather than colour.

• RMweb Gold

Ee! you wouldn't believe the drama I've had trying to get this 'ere video uploaded :O

The graphics card in my main PC decided it couldn't stand the heat, and had begun to throw a wobbly at shorter and shorter intervals over the last week - until the damn thing wouldn't stay working for longer than ten minutes at a time before crashing the whole PC.

Anyway, a replacement card has been fitted tonight, so I can bring you this, secure in the knowledge that I can finish this post without the computer dying dramatically mid sentence.

Hope you like it,

Al.

• Like 10